Bull Got Loose

Help Support CattleToday:

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Reaction score
This is a first for me. Today I noticed the bull didnt come out of the woods grazing, so I went to search for him. After almost 2 hours, I found a low spot in the fence way back in the woods (had to go on foot, couldnt get back there by 4 wheeler). I made my way back to the house, and just then a truck pulled in. The guy got out and said "Are you missing a red brahman bull", and I thought "Oh crap", and just said "Yes sir, Ive been out looking for him for the last 2 hours". He told me he found him in one of his empty pastures, so he got some feed and led him into a pen. Turns out he had some cows in heat so the bull found the low spot and jumped the fence. Im just glad he didnt get in with any of his cows. We talked for a few minutes, and he said just come on in any time and pick him up, within a few days. So tomorrow I get to go out and fix the fence and search for any more potential areas he could get out, then halter up the bull and walk him home. I guess this happens to everyone eventually?

Surprisingly, when he is on a halter he has never acted up around cows in heat. Plus he has his nose ring in, so a little tug on that and he straightens up real quick, but never had to use it before. I may take some Vicks and do like we used to at shows at night, just rub a little on his nose and he cant smell the cows, old trick I learned going to shows.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":1anxe4c5 said:
Surprisingly, when he is on a halter he has never acted up around cows in heat. Plus he has his nose ring in, so a little tug on that and he straightens up real quick, but never had to use it before. I may take some Vicks and do like we used to at shows at night, just rub a little on his nose and he cant smell the cows, old trick I learned going to shows.

That makes sense. Sounds like you now need a strong electric fence.

how is your heifer doing? are they together? when is she going to have a calf?

My heifer is doing just fine. She should be bred and have a calf in probably 7 months. She is still with the bull and he lost interest in her, so Id guess he has her bred. We have a beefmaster cow that somebody has been keeping for us, and she should have her calf any day now. She is really starting to bag up and starting to sink in now, so should be really soon. Been keeping a really close watch on her. She has had a calf before, so hopefully she wont have any problems.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":1aqaainp said:
My heifer is doing just fine. She should be bred and have a calf in probably 7 months. She is still with the bull and he lost interest in her, so Id guess he has her bred. We have a beefmaster cow that somebody has been keeping for us, and she should have her calf any day now. She is really starting to bag up and starting to sink in now, so should be really soon. Been keeping a really close watch on her. She has had a calf before, so hopefully she wont have any problems.

those beefmaster cows will carry a calf 3 weeks past due just to get on your nerves. lol.

cypressfarms":msekixfm said:
TxCoUnTrYbOy":msekixfm said:

:nod: :clap:

cypressfarms":2lwz7f5c said:
TxCoUnTrYbOy":2lwz7f5c said:

My thoughts also, nothing gets their respect quicker, than that little wire with a BIG bite. Strong being the key word. Just curious, no trailer, with show cattle? can you borrow one?

Alan

TCB.. he's not doubt bored being with one cow. I agree with the previous posters.. looks like you need to string some hot wire! Brahamns are the easiest to "train" to it.. once they get into it, you can't get them to walk over it if it's one the ground. At least, that's been my experience with them. Now a Simmental.... :roll:

We got him home and fixed the fence. The spot he got over was a weak spot, pretty old and worn out. It was probably the worst spot in our entire fence. Today we took some new posts and got it all fixed up and secured. Plus we walked the entire fenceline searching for any other potential getaway points. If he gets out again, we will have to try and scrounge up enough money to put up electric. If we have to, would it be enough to just run one or 2 strands of electric, like at the top of the fence?

One cow just had a calf last night, how long will it be before she cycles again and the bull gains interest in her?

TxCoUnTrYbOy":31ddwee8 said:
We got him home and fixed the fence. The spot he got over was a weak spot, pretty old and worn out. It was probably the worst spot in our entire fence. Today we took some new posts and got it all fixed up and secured. Plus we walked the entire fenceline searching for any other potential getaway points. If he gets out again, we will have to try and scrounge up enough money to put up electric. If we have to, would it be enough to just run one or 2 strands of electric, like at the top of the fence?

One cow just had a calf last night, how long will it be before she cycles again and the bull gains interest in her?

With electric wire, I like to run one wire just about nose high on a cow, then another along the tops of the posts. If they are steel posts, you can buy insulated caps that tap onto the top of the post with a hammer. You run the wire through the insulated caps. Remember, though, that some bulls will crawl UNDER a fence. We've had that happen a couple of times. We had to run a third wire about 10 inches from the ground. Fortunately, we didn't have to do that for the entire fenceline.

Give your cow 45 days away from the bull to allow her insides to get back to normal. She needs time to heal before she's bred again. She may cycle before that, but give her the 45 days. The bull will be interested in her right now, because she's passing blood from the birth, but she doesn't need to have to fend him off while she's healing and nursing a new calf.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":101szzu0 said:

Usually anywhere between 30 and 45 days, but some may cycle a bit earlier and some may be a bit later.

Latest posts