Bull found dead this morning

Help Support CattleToday:

I rented a new pasture this fall. I have always drove by this place and looked at it with envy, you know the one where everything is neat, i.e...pretty cows,fence,grass, buildings...etc. It set unused for two seasons before I got it and it started to look a little rough. It hadn't been clipped for at least three years and the fence needed allot of repairs. The deal I made with the owner was that I would fix the fence, repair the barn roof, and clip the pasture for two years rent. She agreed to pay for half the fence materials and all the barn material. Sounds like a good deal.

Well, first thing I did was break out the bush hog and start mowing, OMG. Seems the place was only neat when looking at it from the road. It took me a whole week just to clip 30 acres. Just over the hill from the road, was where I found, bale twine, barbed wire, buried hay rings, tin, tractor parts, feed bin parts, and must have ran over thirty bone piles. I spent the better part of the day under the bush-hog cutting out baler twine and barbed wire. My guess is the guy that had it would have made more money selling his cows for scrap iron than at the sale barn.

Mark,
A few years back we lost a bull caused by another bull butting him in the back quarter while servicing a cow. He went off over the other side and landed on a steel T post which caused injury to the right chest wall requiring many sutures. He survived but, was never the same. We had a customer who lost a bull from fighting and injury to rt leg/hip.

We changed our program and only allow one bull out with the commercial herd at a time. When he appears over worked we bring him in and release another one. Our registered herd bulls are released when a breeding is necessary and re-pinned.

We tell our customers; if you are going to invest in a good bull manage him like a good bull. A good bull...is not cheap.

Sorry for your loss. Let us know what you conclude.

tncattle467":1gfauebc said:
Mare":1gfauebc said:
Wow, another thing to look for. I'm sure glad I only have 5 acres to check out. I'm always telling the grand kids not to leave anything out in the pasture when they go play out there. We have a pond and they like to go fishing there . I only let them take one hook at a time out there. And I have them make sure they bring it back on the pole. I don't let them take out fishing boxes out there. Also I ask for the toys that they play with. But I do walk the yard and look for anything that have might been there. Even with the fencing I look for old staples, or peices of wire even the clay things they shoot. I also worry about the shot gun they use and the piece that falls out after shooting. So I guest I wasn't crazy to worry about what they can pick up while grazing. The fire pile I always check out Before we got the herifers we burn anything that we could burn. And I'm still finding things. I even worry about the string the hay bales come with. To make sure none is left out for them the chew on. One more note to add to my information book. Thank you.

Well considering you do not get rid of your late suckers I would say hardware is the least of your worries.

Why don't you just drop it?

Alice

Well, we always considered around 40 head to many cows to breed during a 60 day cycle. What do you guys think. We have always ran two bulls to assure all cows are bred. The likelyhood of bulls hurting each other is probally pretty low and we will likely spend a fairly high amount on our bulls to continue in the direction we want our herd to be. I always herd also that keeping a yournger bull in with the older bull make and cycling this way every 4-5 years keep the older bull more active. Anyway, since I have been doing this with my father, it seem Murphy will get you sometimes no matter and you just have to way the odds I guess. The vet did offer certain things in an autopsy, however, he did not recommend spending it in this case because either condition is isolated and would not bring a lot to the table since fighting is rare and hardware is someting everyone should work to keep pastures clean and the only thing I have considered is the magnet, which we will be utilizing from now on. Well, anyway, if anyone can give me there opion on the amont on cattle a bull can settle in 60 day season that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

anderma61":1s6ebxn2 said:
Well, we always considered around 40 head to many cows to breed during a 60 day cycle. What do you guys think. We have always ran two bulls to assure all cows are bred. The likelyhood of bulls hurting each other is probally pretty low and we will likely spend a fairly high amount on our bulls to continue in the direction we want our herd to be. I always herd also that keeping a yournger bull in with the older bull make and cycling this way every 4-5 years keep the older bull more active. Anyway, since I have been doing this with my father, it seem Murphy will get you sometimes no matter and you just have to way the odds I guess. The vet did offer certain things in an autopsy, however, he did not recommend spending it in this case because either condition is isolated and would not bring a lot to the table since fighting is rare and hardware is someting everyone should work to keep pastures clean and the only thing I have considered is the magnet, which we will be utilizing from now on. Well, anyway, if anyone can give me there opion on the amont on cattle a bull can settle in 60 day season that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

A good mature bull should be able to breed 50 cows in 60 days. Some people put even more cows.

If you ever saw a broken penis or a spinal injury on a bull, you wouldn't run two bulls together. :cowboy:

Latest posts