Bull for angus Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

E in PA

Reaction score
Besides an angus what other breed of bull would you guys(and gals) use on angus heifers for calving ease. All sorts of different breeds of bulls pop up for sale around here from time to time. I am not planning on keeping the calves after they are weaned but i would prefer to use a beef breed in case i change my mind. Thanks in advance.

I like a Hereford. Black baldies are hard to beat. You would sure need to find one that was low BW though. I am lucky to have one of the best hereford breeders in the country about two miles from me. Have you considered AI? That would be the best way to get a LBW bull with good traits in case you did want to hold back heifers.

First 2 A.I calves hit the ground Saturday out of a Simmental bull the cows were angus not regitered. 2 bull calves weighing 65 & 68 lbs the bulls BW is -0.1 so im happy with that so far if they grow out like the #s say ill be happy with that cross time will tell.

gizmom":19sifcop said:
Well I don't understand why you would want to put anything other than an Angus on Angus heifers but if I was going to use anything but an Angus it would be a Herford. Black Baldies are hard to beat.

Gizmom
http://www.gizmoangus.com
A guy up the road has been raising registered black Angus for years. This year he put a corriente bull and a longhorn bull out with 35 of his registered heifers. I sure can;t figure that out.

dun":pxrgl3uq said:
gizmom":pxrgl3uq said:
Well I don't understand why you would want to put anything other than an Angus on Angus heifers but if I was going to use anything but an Angus it would be a Herford. Black Baldies are hard to beat.

Gizmom
A guy up the road has been raising registered black Angus for years. This year he put a corriente bull and a longhorn bull out with 35 of his registered heifers. I sure can;t figure that out.
I can see a new composite comming, Poled Longhorns. :???:

dun":3qhz4pcp said:
gizmom":3qhz4pcp said:

Gizmom

Dun we have a bunch of morons here who do the same thing. Not so much with registered stock but with real good Angus heifers. Then they try to scam the order buyers by selling them before they start showing their roots. If I looked out in the pasture and saw a corriente with my cows I would shoot him.

BTW this little plan has it's drawbacks especially when the moron calves in Jan, and 30 or 40 of his hairless little Corr-Angus freeze to death 2 weeks after they are born.

3waycross":10kbmplh said:
dun":10kbmplh said:
gizmom":10kbmplh said:

Gizmom

Dun we have a bunch of morons here who do the same thing. Not so much with registered stock but with real good Angus heifers. Then they try to scam the order buyers by selling them before they start showing their roots. If I looked out in the pasture and saw a corriente with my cows I would shoot him.

BTW this little plan has it's drawbacks especially when the moron calves in Jan, and 30 or 40 of his hairless little Corr-Angus freeze to death 2 weeks after they are born.

I know a guy that puts a corriente bull on all his registered heifers. Says he doesn't have to worry about calving problems when they spit out a 40 lb calf. What a waste of a years calf crop.

I was thinking of A.I. with a LBW angus, if i can find an A.I. service. but also covering with a non angus bull just in case. Just an example of whats come up for sale last couple months: british white park, beefmaster, limos, polled herf, angus, charolais. Oh yeah and a "very rare" black hereford. seriously how it was listed. how ever my wife is trying to veto having a bull around.

Latest posts