Bull Calf… Tell me what y'all think.

Help Support CattleToday:

ClinchValley

Reaction score
I have kept a bull calf from last year. Had originally planned to see how he developed, and was going to eat him. The other day though, my Uncle and I decided we were going to put a small herd together to keep on his 27 acres. Since I have a 10 month bull calf uncut, i thought it might work out to use him for these cows, at least the first year or so til he fills out… Could be a terrible idea. I wanted y'alls input on this. Honesty is greatly appreciated.

I think i have figured out the picture posting thing. Here we go.

Sire is 100% Red Limo. Dam is equal parts Black Limo x Black Gelbvieh. Pictures of both are below. Cattle are dirty. :)

image_zps8kc5ihdm.jpeg

image_zpszj4wvuyj.jpeg

Sire
image_zpsakl64opm.jpeg

Dam (Black, Center of photo)
image_zpspwwrmb1e.jpeg

Apologies for terrible pictures. Still working on photographic skills.

What do y'all think. Would you use him, even temporarily It would be so much easier than seeking out a bull to purchase at the moment.

If you like the parents and they fit what you are doing then it is less of a gamble than going out and buying a bull from someone else. He has plenty of size and frame. The difference, for me via pictures, between him and his parents is that he has less capacity in the chest and middle. It is not so much of an issue for a bull as a cow but just a comment from afar. Your cows and bull look great to me so he should breed like them or have a good chance to do that.

I'm certainly not the best judge, so these are questions as much as they are comments. But two things come to mind. One, I don't like his rear legs, but maybe it's the picture? Second, he seems on the small side for 10 months old. But again, maybe it's the picture. I think you could sell him and use that money to buy a better bull, but maybe bull prices are lower here. I've seen some decent looking bulls go for not much more than slaughter price.
For just making calves, I'm sure he'd work. But I like his sire a lot more.

My thoughts are similar to Ebenezer and M.Magis. His parents are fine looking animals. I've certainly seen worse 10 month (as well as yearling) bulls than this guy.

At this time, for the purpose of convenience and an end result of (probable) terminal calves, why not go ahead and use him. He would probably do a good enough job.

This way if he doesn't grow out to be magnificent, you have bought yourself some time to find a bull that fits the herd while not losing out on a calf crop.

If you're just looking to put calves on the ground, he'll probably do the job, though if the cows are bigger he may miss a few until he figures out how to get up there.
Big question is are you going to consider keeping any replacements from that herd? If the cows in that herd are of good quality that could produce replacements, I'd look for a better bull. He'll also be heterozygous black, so the calves are probably not going to be uniform unless all the cows are homo-black... The importance of that is up to you.

Yeah. I been hung up on the size myself. He may be 9 months. He had a fight w pneumonia he almost lost when two months old. Possibly explain the size.

Calves on the ground is what I am going for. So color doesn't bother me. Long as they are solid.

Would his small size make him decent to put on heifers?

Little guy cannot reach a mature cow. Might have to build a step for him so he can reach. :)

His physical size won't make any difference in the size/shape of the calves he throws, so whether he's safe on heifers or not is a crap shoot. You may be surprised in regards to him reaching full size cows. They seem to find a way.

ClinchValley":2rmvyqb7 said:
Would his small size make him decent to put on heifers?

Age or size of a bull doesn't affect the size of his calves at birth. His influence on that is all genetics.

He looks to have pieces but it also looks like he would have to be penned up for about 120 days and have the feed throw at him.

I don't care for him - at least HOW THE PICTURES OF HIM LOOK for all the reasons mentioned. I would not buy him from you if you sent me these pics.

He's narrow across the shoulders and light on the backend, lacking capacity.
Possiably a calving ease bull, but probably not a profit bull.

M.Magis":1yq3qknf said:
His physical size won't make any difference in the size/shape of the calves he throws, so whether he's safe on heifers or not is a crap shoot. You may be surprised in regards to him reaching full size cows. They seem to find a way.

What I mean't by size was this: I'm no rocket scientist, but logic would tell me that a heifer could be potentially be broken down by a moderately sized Bull. Let alone a large Bull. I was meaning it would be easier on a Heifer to support the weight of this guy vs, say, his Poppa.

Could be over thinking it.

Gonna get a few front/rear pics today. That ought to end my internal debate. Get it all on the table.

FYI - I'm not looking to sell this guy. Don't know if any we produce would be worth selling as a herd bull. That'd be a nice avenue someday though.

Latest posts