Bull being a bully.

Help Support CattleToday:

High Cotton

Reaction score
The farm I work for bought a new bull this spring. I noticed today he was bullying the cows. He wouldn't let them come and go as they please. The herd was at the back of the pasture so I called them up to the front and they normally come running. I called them and a few started that way but he wouldn't let them around him. A few minutes later a few cows snuck by him and came to the water trough. When he saw them he came running up there, butted them, and ran them back to the back of the pasture. This bothers me. It's pretty warm here and if he's not letting them drink could cause some problems. Any ideas why he does this or how to break him of the this?

High Cotton":22g2k5ka said:
The farm I work for bought a new bull this spring. I noticed today he was bullying the cows. He wouldn't let them come and go as they please. The herd was at the back of the pasture so I called them up to the front and they normally come running. I called them and a few started that way but he wouldn't let them around him. A few minutes later a few cows snuck by him and came to the water trough. When he saw them he came running up there, butted them, and ran them back to the back of the pasture. This bothers me. It's pretty warm here and if he's not letting them drink could cause some problems. Any ideas why he does this or how to break him of the this?

They are his cows and he just proved it to you!

Sounds like you have a problem on your hands. I would be careful around him and yes if keeps the cows from the water even when you aren't around then the cows will suffer on hot days. If they are nursing the milk production will be the first thing to suffer and when a cow drops off suddenly they never come back to where they once were. Ultimately this will reflect in lower weaning weights. If he were mine this wouldn't go on long.

This is why they call them "herd" bulls. They herd the cows.

I have seen my bulls do it a few times. It has never lasted more than a few hours. It has happened when calves were missing from the herd.(some calves didnt follow their mothers when moved to a new pasture.)

It has never been a problem. Your situation may last a few hours or it could be different.

High Cotton this is not a problem. If I was gonna guess this is a young bull, and his libido is running high. I personally love to see it in a bull. Most time it will go away after the first breeding season....The heat here at breeding time is brutal, and these boys really got to want to do their job to get it done. I have a seven year old bull that still herds his cows up, and he tests hotter than a firecracker every year

I have found it more in a young bull in his first season, especially if there is a neighbouring bull close by. One I had would only do it in the front paddocks which were close to neighbouring cattle, once they were put up the back, no problems. It might be worthwhile trying a change in paddocks if possible. My bloke would herd them all up for an hour or two, but like all bulls they get tired and like to lie down for a while, my cows seemed to know this and would just go along with it, knowing he would soon tire and lie down.
Ken

I had a young Bonsmara bull that was especially bad. He would corner all the cows and not allow any of them out. It was a sign of one of the cows coming on heat, once that was over everything went back to normal. It was stressful for the cows as well as the bull but did improve as he matured.

mine would do that when one was in heat and i would go in the pature. it did not interfere with the normal activitiy, herding is a response to a threat he sees you as a threat trying to get his cows. i had a young bull get so excited he would chase the one in heat, i felt sorry for her. they out grow these things pretty quick