Bull Behavior

Help Support CattleToday:

MoonRanch

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to the cattle business. I've got a soon-to-be three year-old bull and I'm looking for explanations to his behavior. Since about January, his behavior has changed from docile to testy. He snorts alot and will somewhat gently headbutt me (I'm not sure if he's playing games or what). Yesterday, though, as I was moving the pasture (strip grazing) he shadowed me most of the way, snorting and pawing the ground (it looked like he was sniffing urine deposits and if so he's probably detecting cows in heat). Since the other animals had moved to the new pasture I decided to attempt to encourage him to follow (this wasn't altogether necessary, I simply wanted to see his reaction). He wouldn't allow me to move to his rear (always keeping me in his sight). When I don't want him to follow, he follows. Any explanations?

That's the part I'm considering strange... he's been with the girls all along. In yesterday's instance, he just didn't follow them to the new field.

MoonRanch":39mx2oaj said:
I'm fairly new to the cattle business. I've got a soon-to-be three year-old bull and I'm looking for explanations to his behavior. Since about January, his behavior has changed from docile to testy. He snorts alot and will somewhat gently headbutt me (I'm not sure if he's playing games or what). Yesterday, though, as I was moving the pasture (strip grazing) he shadowed me most of the way, snorting and pawing the ground (it looked like he was sniffing urine deposits and if so he's probably detecting cows in heat). Since the other animals had moved to the new pasture I decided to attempt to encourage him to follow (this wasn't altogether necessary, I simply wanted to see his reaction).
  • He wouldn't allow me to mo
ve to his rear (always keeping me in his sight). When I don't want him to follow, he follows. Any explanations?
Sounds like he has more sence that you do about trouble.he is gonna make a greasy spot out of you before long

I hope you don't think I'm a total idiot. Even though I'm an admitted novice, I never go into a pasture with animals without a plan of escape. Even with the most docile of animals there's a risk of getting hurt. Now that I know why he's acting the way he is, I'll be extra careful from now on. :shock: I still wonder, though, why this behavior didn't surface until now (he's been around cows in heat before).

MoonRanch":1o204rus said:
I'm fairly new to the cattle business. I've got a soon-to-be three year-old bull and I'm looking for explanations to his behavior. Since about January, his behavior has changed from docile to testy. He snorts alot and will somewhat gently headbutt me (I'm not sure if he's playing games or what). Yesterday, though, as I was moving the pasture (strip grazing) he shadowed me most of the way, snorting and pawing the ground (it looked like he was sniffing urine deposits and if so he's probably detecting cows in heat). Since the other animals had moved to the new pasture I decided to attempt to encourage him to follow (this wasn't altogether necessary, I simply wanted to see his reaction). He wouldn't allow me to move to his rear (always keeping me in his sight). When I don't want him to follow, he follows. Any explanations?

I would stay the heck away from this bull, rather he is playing or mad, head butting is not something you want to be doing with a bull! I would head butt him with a Axe Handle or Softball bat (my weapon of choice). I would take this serious or you might end up an article in a News Paper like was posted recently.

You have got to remember that this animal is not a pet!

Three years old...what about 1600 to 2000 lbs...how much do you weigh in at?

He doesn't like you, you are not his friend, he doesn't want to play with you, he will hurt you if you get in his way and he will see you as a threat.

The animal has a rumen (stomach) thirty times the size of his brain and a set of stones on him the size of soft balls....now what do you think governs his behavior.

Never trust a cow, especially a bull...NEVER.

I keep a post hole digger handle handy. Won't stop a determined bull but it does make me feel like I have some say in the matter.

Good luck to ya...and that's my two bits worth!

Dave Mc

Susie David":2mddkanx said:
You have got to remember that this animal is not a pet!

Three years old...what about 1600 to 2000 lbs...how much do you weigh in at?

He doesn't like you, you are not his friend, he doesn't want to play with you, he will hurt you if you get in his way and he will see you as a threat.

The animal has a rumen (stomach) thirty times the size of his brain and a set of stones on him the size of soft balls....now what do you think governs his behavior.

Never trust a cow, especially a bull...NEVER.

I keep a post hole digger handle handy. Won't stop a determined bull but it does make me feel like I have some say in the matter.

Good luck to ya...and that's my two bits worth!

Dave Mc

I have often chuckled at folks who think of cattle as pets (I'm certainly not one of them. And I realize that there is always an element of danger, especially with bulls.

Yesterday I had a six-foot 2x4 between me and him (and that may have been part of the reason he was keeping an eye on me, too).

Even before this episode I knew he'd be headed to the sale once this breeding season is over (maybe sooner).

Thanks for the words of caution.

As someone said earlier baseball bats and axe handles about the ear will put a bull at your feet. I don't mean tap it either. If he is only testing you a pretty good tap will make him think you are bigger or at least badder than him, but if hes charging swing with all you got. If he is up by morning he shouldn't be no problem getting on a trailer. If hes not up you won't have to worry about him charging when you load him on a flatbed.

Moonranch, you are the judge.

But if you are in a position where you let him gently headbutt you, you are already dead whenever he decides it.

Please understand most of us have already made stupid mistakes and got hurt, and I have at least 2 friends who have lost family to bulls. 3 guys killed in this area in 5 years ( mostly dairy, all very experienced ).

Local 4H instructor just escaped with his life a couple weeks ago. Somebody will be doing his haying this year for him though, as you can't drive a tractor with that many casts on you. ( Beef bull I believe ).

Take Care

just be around when the ring is put in his nose and he will steer clear -
my dad put a ring in our young boy's nose - he pierced it - he put the ring in and the chain - all I did was tighten the little tiny (very tiny) screw :roll: - he keeps an eye on us anytime we are around - doesn't react this way to anyone else - just me and dad - he will run away :lol: :lol:

AngusLimoX":1mnrv06l said:
Moonranch, you are the judge.

But if you are in a position where you let him gently headbutt you, you are already dead whenever he decides it.

Please understand most of us have already made stupid mistakes and got hurt, and I have at least 2 friends who have lost family to bulls. 3 guys killed in this area in 5 years ( mostly dairy, all very experienced ).

Local 4H instructor just escaped with his life a couple weeks ago. Somebody will be doing his haying this year for him though, as you can't drive a tractor with that many casts on you. ( Beef bull I believe ).

Take Care

I think I got his attention when I was feeding hay in January. While I was cutting the twine from a bale he nudged (that's the gentle headbutt I referred to earlier) me (and quite honestly, frightened me) and I reacted with a solid punch to his jaw. He scurried away and was shy for a week or so. The cows weren't in heat then, though. Now that they are (in heat) you can bet that I won't take any unnecessary chances!

I had some rental pasture next door to my brothers house and had some cattle w/ a bull in 40 acres and my brother thought they were pets also. I kept warning him not to get caught in mid pasture with the bull. Well he decides to go out there on a full moon night and "walk" with the cows. Well, ol charlie did not want him there. Ran after him and the only place for him to go with some sense of security was the hay ring, in the middle of the pasture. Ol Charlie kept him there for 2 hours ramming the hay ring. That taught him!!!! And this bull was a registered Black Angus. The "calmest" of any cattle.
THEY ARE NOT PETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MoonRanch":ufcucqsh said:
I hope you don't think I'm a total idiot. Even though I'm an admitted novice, I never go into a pasture with animals without a plan of escape. Even with the most docile of animals there's a risk of getting hurt. Now that I know why he's acting the way he is, I'll be extra careful from now on. :shock: I still wonder, though, why this behavior didn't surface until now (he's been around cows in heat before).

Some become a little more aggressive as they age. Just watch him for a while and certainly (through what ever means)discourage the headbutts. At that point he's too close.

fitz

Sell that bull ! There are too many good natured bulls to keep something that makes being around your cattle a constant looking over your shoulder deal. Make sure he goes to the meat buyer and don't pass this problem to another cattle farmer. He needs to see the golden arches in the sky - That will calm him down.

MoonRanch":2f27zmlb said:

If is head butting you and your green you better ship him as you are no longer the alpha male and you are going to get hurt when you least expect it.

Moon Ranch - You are obviously not from Slippery Moon Ranch as they are cattle folk and would not ask a question like this.

Here is the deal.

As previously stated - you are a walking dead man - just do not know it.

You hit that bull with your fist - he never felt it - probably surprized him. Ever watch how hard a cow will fight? You cannot hope to ever equal that power.

Next time he comes up to you and tries to butt you "gently" - take an aluminum baseball bat - and hit him as hard as you can. If you are lucky you will get his attention and he will back off. If you are not lucky you are toast.

Your escape route is a joke - I never met a man who could do the 40 yard dash faster than a bull inclined to do damage.

I have a couple of old posts that I will paste here - please read them and take the parts that are applicable to your situation - I know in my heart you probably will not - be sure you read BOTH of the posts - here goes:

Post #1

This statement says it all.

For your info, less than 5% of those who experience a no schitzen attack by a bull live to tell about it. This from an old Cattleman's mag I picked up.

So - you have received some good info from others - but I will add to it.

Go get your rifle and your truck and a few helpers.

Shoot that S.O.B. in the pasture - I would do it now - not tomorrow and not the day after.

Butcher him on the spot. Share the meat with your buddies and get a new bull.

Having had the opportunity to go to two funerals in my life time caused by large animals I want you to know that not only are you taking a chance with this guy, but you are breeding his temperment into his offspring.

You will probably not take this advice, but I give it because I DO KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Finally, you can ship this bull. Don't you dare do this unless he carries a frigging big red X on his sides. Do not provide some other poor unsuspecting person with you problems and no notification.

Rounding this guy up might be a bit of fun - therefore my shoot and eat suggetion.

So in the end, do nothing and walk the pasture with your family in fear - or solve the problem. Choice is yours.

Post #2

Agreed.

The real reason I like to see 'em marked is to prevent some poor hobbyist with 5 cows from getting squished. Bigger operations usually have the experience to cull these out.

Lots of folks buy bulls - not many like aggression. Even those with the big herds know there is no percentage in breeding it
into the herd.

Appears sjackson may not be posting - hope he is reading this - have not told this tale in many years - I was just 18 at the time. Pop heard my story when he got home and did not bat an eye at what I did. Mind you he found me on the floor looking pretty tough. Still had my boots and coat on - fire in the stove - shivering cold.

Watching a bull on the fight is impressive. As long as you are in a spot with an out. When you are in with him - well, it's not much fun.

Bull tried to take me. I lived to tell the tale - about 32 years ago now - mid winter - no one home but me - bull lived for almost 5 minutes - the time it took to limp to the house and pull out the rifle. Went back in the house and curled up on the kitchen floor in front of the wood stove - slept right there for a couple of hours. Total exhaustion.

Tractor about 20 yards away was my saviour - seemed like miles at the time - managed to crawl under it - even while he was pushing me into the ground. You have no idea how heavy he felt on me - still think about it the odd time.

I bet I was right - you will not take my original advice. You might have a problem and you might not - only time will tell - but personally, I am through gambling.

Stay well.

Bez

Moon Ranch

This guy gave me a concussion, a cracked collar bone, a whole bunch of bruises and strains and some broken ribs - I got off light. Never had a prob with him in the past.

When they get you time stands still - everything sounds like a roar in your ears and all you can think of is breathe.

It was worse for me while I was on my back - when I got rolled over on to my stomach I was able to start to crawl.

When you start to see stars and you cannot move because of the weight - then you know it is going to be a bad day.

Funny thing is it did not even hurt until I started to get up from under the tractor.

I killed that bull after a very painful walk to the house. I WANTED him dead and I was dammmed if I was prepared to wait.

Went back to the house and passed out in front of the woodstove. The old man drove me into the hospital after he and Mom got home later that day. I think it was the only time I ever remember him breaking the speed limit - and Mom was urging him on - that part is clear because I figured I was going to live and tried to get him to slow down - but you never argue with Mom when she is stirred up. :lol:

Remember this was an animal that was farm raised - but I was just plain stupid - one time - and he got me.

Folksy aside to this whole thing - for years I could hardly remember much about it - other than a couple of bad dreams now and then. Funny how the details - whether true or not have come to me over time since I first wrote about this some time ago. I know the rough details clear - the fine details are still fuzzy.

Maybe Macon should start a therapy section? :lol:

Moon Ranch - Now you too can say you know someone who was nearly killed by a bull.

Will you be next?

Best regards,

Bez!

Thanks, Bez!....a very sobering and eye-opening post. I'm not one for playing the odds, but I will be even more careful after reading this.

Moon, you've been given lots o fgood advice here. I don't know you or your bull, so I'll provide options in order of choice:

1. Ship the bull, designate slaughter only
2. Slaughter the bull and eat him.
3. Shoot him in the pasture
4. If you're going to try and keep him, do so at your own risk, you've already allowed this bull to learn a bad habit. I'd recommend the following if you going to make this choice:
4a. Put in a nose ring. 30' feet of small chain. let him drag the chain.
4b. Carry a baseball bat with you at all times. NEVER go in the corral without it. You are going to have to hit this bull, just a matter of time. Hit him hard. You need for him to understand to stay away.

Bez and others have offered you great advice. Listen to them. Get rid of this bull. There are lots of other bulls available.

Moon,

You have already recieved some good advice here, I hope you follow it. My two cents;
1. Ship the bull
2. Ship the bull
3. Don't go out there armed with a baseball bat or ax handle. Whould you take a knive to a gun fight? What are they three feet long? Never, never allow yourself to be within 50 feet of this bull. If you ship him he will be further away than 50 feet.
4. Stay well away from the bull. Give him plenty of space. If you need to move them to another pasture just open the gates and leave. The cows and the bull will find the new pasture. Come back later and shut the gate. When he is done breeding the cows this year, Ship the bull.
5. As for escape routes. It better be close. You can not out run a bull. If you are in a position where you have to, you are much better off trying to dodge him. Step around him and to his shoulder. If you aren't quick enough to dodge him you darn well aren't quick enough to out run him.
Good luck and remember there are lots of good bulls available out there. You can buy a good one cheaper than fixing a broken arm. And if one gets you down you will be lucky to have just a broken arm.
Dave

Latest posts