Bull Behavior

Help Support CattleToday:

msscamp":v847ll1r said:
alacattleman":v847ll1r said:
yall forgeting this bull may not be the bad a$$ thats this thread has worked him up too be ;-)

Any bull that has been allowed to head butt a human being is not a bull I want on my place - it's a wreck waiting to happen. It's only going to get worse as the bull has no respect and that is simply not an option as far as I'm concerned. I don't allow my bottle calves to head butt me. Just my thoughts.
alright then were well it stop. ive been joking around on this thread because to me any bull under the care of a begginer is a threat. no matter how gentle. he!! as a kid i seen a ton gert bull knock a school bus up on two wheels seen um tear the hip out of a horse .one drug my uncle horse a 1/8 mile tied hard and fast pasture roping one THE BEGGINERS NEED TO BE SCHOOLED THEY WOULDNT BE SAFE AROUND ANY BULL ;-)

Maybe at the Crowder Gathering someone can put on a seminar, maybe something like:

"You and your bull - A Guide for Hobbyists"

"101 ways to entertain your bull - that don't include headbutting"

or maybe...

"Converting cattle owners to cattlemen"

The point is never trust any bull anytime, anywhere or cow for that matter. There is not one experienced Cattleman on this board that hasn't been kicked, butted, stomped, or gored when he let his guard down or he has never worked cattle. Cattle are dangerous with cattle that not aggressive. Forgot to add knocked out to the list and I have been by cow kicking a gate in working pen. Why in the world would you want to keep one looking for a fight when ther is enough going on all ready.

Chainsaws will cut your head off. Hammers will hit your thumb. Ropes will hang you. Cars will wreck and kill you. PTO's will rip your arm off.....Bulls are just bulls. Lots of bulls get this bad. Set up the situation where he cant' hurt you. If you don't know when they are about to hurt you, learn or get out of the business. He doesn't sound like a headhunter to me but you might make him into one if you keep fooling with him.
BTW I'd rather have a ill bull on the farm than a kids poney....safer.

ollie'":5gh3f7z1 said:
Bulls are just bulls. He doesn't sound like a headhunter to me but you might make him into one if you keep fooling with him.

I shortened your post, but totally agree.

fitz

ollie'":2xib1wul said:
Chainsaws will cut your head off. Hammers will hit your thumb. Ropes will hang you. Cars will wreck and kill you. PTO's will rip your arm off.....Bulls are just bulls. Lots of bulls get this bad. Set up the situation where he cant' hurt you. If you don't know when they are about to hurt you, learn or get out of the business. He doesn't sound like a headhunter to me but you might make him into one if you keep fooling with him.

Ollie you are right!
Its all about safety this is a very dangerous business from tractors to cows and most of the time you work alone one careless slip up and you are on the last ride.
You don't get to be old in this business doing stupid things and cutting corners. There is no Safety Man like at a work site making you adhere to OSHA rules and regulations and wear PPE.
Having working pens where you always work the cattle from behind a gate to having the proper head gates squeeze chutes etc. these are all safety equipment, just like the guards on the chain saw. To taking any cow for granted will get you hurt.
I have put myself in some stupid situations when I was younger and was dang lucky ,not any more old bones don't heal like young ones.

I have read many times that airplane pilots that reach 450 hours are the most hazardous. It seams that over confidence and complacency set in around that time.

When I approach the barnyard, I start thinking how much fun I'm gonna have....but something here can ruin my day.

I know about the cows and bulls. It's the little stuff that gets me. I agree that you can't take anything for granted.

way i see it is no mater if your a 50 yr experienced cattle man or a beginer, the moment you think you can make any animal bigger than you are do what you want by force you are an accidient waiting to happen. Even an animal has it's bad days.
No mater if it's Bubba the bull or Josephine the cow.

I personally don't think cows like to be petted. I see them standing and let another lick on them and they seem to enjoy that, but on the other hand I really don't think anyone would want to do that unless maby you are with an animal rights group.

Even caustic quit petting hogs. at least haven't heard about him petting hogs lately.

Having said all this I don't know if the bull moonranch has is really a mean bull or not but a simple head butt would be enough for me to be real serious about getting around him without a plan for escape or a big enough weapon to put him down. Would be like "I saw the train coming but I thought I could beat it!"

my.02 cents worth. Cal

Caustic Burno":2zvwj932 said:
ollie'":2zvwj932 said:

Ollie you are right!
Its all about safety this is a very dangerous business from tractors to cows and most of the time you work alone one careless slip up and you are on the last ride.
You don't get to be old in this business doing stupid things and cutting corners. There is no Safety Man like at a work site making you adhere to OSHA rules and regulations and wear PPE.
Having working pens where you always work the cattle from behind a gate to having the proper head gates squeeze chutes etc. these are all safety equipment, just like the guards on the chain saw. To taking any cow for granted will get you hurt.
I have put myself in some stupid situations when I was younger and was dang lucky ,not any more old bones don't heal like young ones.

Friend of ours Grandfather got killed a year ago, burning his ditches. He was 80 some years old and out alone burning off some ditches by his house, dunno if he fell or pant legs caught on fire or exactly what happened. But it was not a pretty sight for his Grandson to find :(

I figure this Moonranch is laughing at how many answwred his post -seems tomehe is scarce at this tiume.

Bez!

Bez!":11qv2iqd said:
I figure this Moonranch is laughing at how many answwred his post -seems tomehe is scarce at this tiume.

Bez!

After all these posts, he's got to be doing one of three things.

Shopping for a bat or ax handle.

Shopping for a .357

Grinding burger
:D

Seriously though, it is time for the bull to go.

bgm":1gj2l0ng said:
Bez!":1gj2l0ng said:

Bez!

After all these posts, he's got to be doing one of three things.

Shopping for a bat or ax handle.

Shopping for a .357

Grinding burger
:D

Seriously though, it is time for the bull to go.

OR he's sitting up a tree in the middle of the pasture hoping someone in here notices his lack of posts and calls for help! :lol: :lol:

I'm not around a computer as much as some of you are (I spent my weekend in a tree :D ). I am amazed at the number of posts.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":3um16j3z said:
MoonRanch,

Noone said you were a total idiot. Those words sure as heck never came out of mine or anyone elses mouth. Just be careful ....

Please don't read anything into the "total idiot" remark other than it was (is) my hope that ya'll didn't consider me one. And if you do, then I reckon that's okay, too.

On a serious note, I am grateful to those who gave advice. I will take heed.

Some of you may be wondering why I'd never noticed this behavior before... and it may be due to the fact that until this year the cattle grazed one pasture and I usually saw them from a distance (and sometimes at the watering trough and we were separated by a gate) about once or twice a week. This year I started M.I.G. (Managed Intensive Grazing) so this makes it necessary to be around the animals more often. I definitely have some cows in heat so I understand the bull is acting normally in wanting to protect his harem. This, along with my inexperience will (has) cause(d) me to be extra careful. I'm still learning (and I don't plan to stop anytime soon).

I'm sure you've got more to do than worry about your bull everytime your in the pasture or when your working them. The bulls I like to keep around are the ones that go the other way when I come around. There are too many to choose from these days than to put up with one that has an attitude problem.

Latest posts