bulk tank

Help Support CattleToday:

herefordlover

Reaction score
we have a 7 ton bulk thank that now has an auger on it that were going to remodel to have a slide gate for filling buckets. any one have any experince with this and would it be better to have the slide on the bottom of the hopper( i am worried maybe all the weight might make it hard to open) or on the side (wondering about water seaping in).

We've got the same set up. Pulled the auger and replaced it with a slider. It's at the bottom at about a 45 degree angle. It sometimes get s a little stiff to open if you have a lot of fines in the feed.

we are planing one using it for range cubes. dont know forshure what the bottom of this take is like it looks in decent shape but hasnt been used in over 10 years. we have to move it and will go from there might have to build a new one wich i dont think will be to hard since i was a welder.

To switch ours to the slider it was just a matter of removing a dozen bolts and pulling the auger head aside and bolting the replacement in

our will require a little more work as its not going to be a unbolt rebolt type thing. but noting a cut off wheel and a welder cant take care of. this one was made where the auger tube is welded to the boot and the bearing is threw the back.

herefordlover said:
our will require a little more work as its not going to be a unbolt rebolt type thing. but noting a cut off wheel and a welder cant take care of. this one was made where the auger tube is welded to the boot and the bearing is threw the back.[/quot

If it's like a Brock or Pax or Choretime it's got like 8 bolts holding a flange to the boot just like dun was talking about, easy to replace with a slide. Even if you have to replace the boot the last one of those I bought was plastic and only cost about $40.

Larry

you will be sorry that you put a slider door on your feed tank an quit using the auger.1.you will blow your back out bending over filling the buckets.as well as bang your knees up.2.its a giant pain sticking your hand in the slider to get the feed flowing when it jamms.plus if your not fast shutting it off youll have alot of feed on the ground.id stay with the auger to fill your buckets.i speak from 27yrs of fighting with an cussing the feed tank.

you will be sorry that you put a slider door on your feed tank an quit using the auger.1.you will blow your back out bending over filling the buckets.as well as bang your knees up.2.its a giant pain sticking your hand in the slider to get the feed flowing when it jamms.plus if your not fast shutting it off youll have alot of feed on the ground.id stay with the auger to fill your buckets.i speak from 27yrs of fighting with an cussing the feed tank.

bigbull338":2mus3hh5 said:
Amazing, I've never had any of those problems. The worst issue I had was when th wind would be blowing 30 mph and the fines would get blown. When I have a briding problem I just give it a wack with a rubber hammer and it starts blowing again. If you only open the slider enough that the stuff starts to flow smoothly it isn;t hard to shut it off at the right point.

then you mustve had luck on your side.because they do hang,an they get hard to close as well as open.an oh the fun of hauling feed for 80 to 100 cows when the feeder system goes down.an you have to fix it while your milking.

I took an die grinder with a cut off wheel and cut at the end of the slide the little metal tab. The bend in the slide (the handle/grip) prevented it from sliding all the way through but with the ends gone from the grooves it was a self cleaning situation. Instead of the ground feed or small pieces building up preventing the slide from sliding all the way, it just pushed the stuff out. My next bulk bin will have a flex auger attached going into the barn.

we have a 2 ton with a slide on it already not had many problems threw the years and its been around over 15. if i had that much trouble with it one working right i would have rebuilt it as soon as it was empty. larry do u know where on line i can look for them boots?

herefordlover":1sxv3nlq said:
we have a 2 ton with a slide on it already not had many problems threw the years and its been around over 15. if i had that much trouble with it one working right i would have rebuilt it as soon as it was empty. larry do u know where on line i can look for them boots?

Here is one place http://www.farmerboyag.com/images/feed-bins.pdf any place that has equipment for hog farms would stock those .

Larry

Latest posts