Building feeder for calves

Help Support CattleToday:

C HOLLAND

Reaction score
I am currently working on a feeder to feed my calves from 45 days before to 45 days after weaning.

I was wondering what is the width between the bars on the panel to keep the cows out and let the calves have access to the feed.

C HOLLAND":rpp2fg2j said:
I am currently working on a feeder to feed my calves from 45 days before to 45 days after weaning.

I was wondering what is the width between the bars on the panel to keep the cows out and let the calves have access to the feed.

I'll get you a measurement in a little bit.

You might want the "Back Bar" adjustable though.

Make sure you bolt it down tight. Cows will push on it if they can smell the feed.

C HOLLAND":3dpmayp9 said:

Build it where it can be adjusted with a socket wrench. That way you can customize it as the calves grow and won't have to guess about the widths.....and IF a bigger bovine gets her shoulders stuck in it you can let her out without tearing up your own work.

Our local co-op sells a creep panel about 10 feet long with an adjustable top bar. Works good on sidesheds etc., to keep the feed out of the weather.

The width od the ooening isn;t all that important. I've used a heavy steel bar between 2 panels and set at the height just above the largest calves shoulder.

Like Dun said, height is the key...but I have had some
"Limbo" champaions that can get through if the with is not smaller... If you have big ones that want feed they will try your set up. donna

Thanks everyone

I found a panel at the local feed store and it may do the job for me, it has 18" wide slots and an adjustable height bar. I may just use the panel as a controlled entrance to the corral and then just have open access to the feeder.

I am building a feed shed with 4 x 4 post cemented in the ground and a metal roof with an access door in the back to add feed. I am using 2 plastic 55 gal drums cut in half long ways as the feed trough and they are 1 1/2 foot off the ground. I am closing in the sides and will have a 3 ft overhang in the front.

I plan to add the feed daily and that way I will not waste any feed getting them use to coming to the feeder.

I will get pictures as soon as its done.

thanks again everyone.

C HOLLAND":3f6weps2 said:
Thanks everyone

I found a panel at the local feed store and it may do the job for me, it has 18" wide slots and an adjustable height bar. I may just use the panel as a controlled entrance to the corral and then just have open access to the feeder.

I am building a feed shed with 4 x 4 post cemented in the ground and a metal roof with an access door in the back to add feed. I am using 2 plastic 55 gal drums cut in half long ways as the feed trough and they are 1 1/2 foot off the ground. I am closing in the sides and will have a 3 ft overhang in the front.

I plan to add the feed daily and that way I will not waste any feed getting them use to coming to the feeder.

I will get pictures as soon as its done.

thanks again everyone.

That should work just fine.

I have one I need to creep feed but 11 other little ones that do not. I wonder if I can teach him to open a gate into the pen on hos own. I guess I will have to kill myself chasing either him in alone or the other 11 out oh boy this is fun when your runnig legs left you a few years ago. I knew I should have learned how to ride a horse

mind235":h0jvnvc1 said:
I have one I need to creep feed but 11 other little ones that do not. I wonder if I can teach him to open a gate into the pen on hos own. I guess I will have to kill myself chasing either him in alone or the other 11 out oh boy this is fun when your runnig legs left you a few years ago. I knew I should have learned how to ride a horse

Probably not! :lol: :lol: On the upside, however, you acually have a couple of options here - 1) seperate the calf that needs creep feed until he recognizes the bucket and what it stands for, or 2) if he is gentle enough, walk up to him in the pasure with the feed bucket and offer him a mouthful or two of grain, then lead him back to the creep feeder, and bang the bucket on the feeder. It won't take but a few times for him to associate the banging bucket with feed, and come running. If he is enough smaller, then you can adjust the spacing in the creep fence/height if the creep feeder to not allow the other calves in.

msscamp":3nd6m8pu said:
mind235":3nd6m8pu said:

Probably not! :lol: :lol: On the upside, however, you acually have a couple of options here - 1) seperate the calf that needs creep feed until he recognizes the bucket and what it stands for, or 2) if he is gentle enough, walk up to him in the pasure with the feed bucket and offer him a mouthful or two of grain, then lead him back to the creep feeder, and bang the bucket on the feeder. It won't take but a few times for him to associate the banging bucket with feed, and come running. If he is enough smaller, then you can adjust the spacing in the creep fence/height if the creep feeder to not allow the other calves in.

If you can catch al the calves two days in a row and feed them all the first day. Then the next day cut out all the calves you don't want to feed and only feed the calf you want. Then keep this up every day untill only the one you want comes up. Then he will be waiting by the gate for you at his feeding time.
I have done this with young bulls that needed a little extra while breding. It takes a bull about two days to learn what time to eat. And the cows will quit comming up in a week if they don't get feed.

Brute 23":yugqmq3a said:
Try posting a sign with the calf's name on it in front of his feed bucket. That away the other animals know it is his. ;-)

:shock: :lol: :lol: Yeah that will work!

Think I will try the sign with name option. Not sure if I want to wrestle with this guy he knows he is "the man" already. He stares me down and stomps his foot on the ground. Kind of like when a deer stomps to see if you are really not a stump that wasn't there yesterday.

They have all been wild and in open pasture never seen a stall.
Thanks will try your suggestions.

Latest posts