Building a Longhorn Herd

Help Support CattleToday:

I may be wrong but I thought this forum was basically a community of those who all share an interest (or whatever you want to call it) in cattle. That to me means all cattle, from pets to big commercial operations, seedstock, and everything between.

It seems like every time someone mentions a longhorn or highland or whatever people have to tell them they just have pets that don't pencil out. Honestly, who cares? They just want a place to go and talk 'cattle' and ask cattle related questions and a forum titled "Cattletoday" ought to be a place you could do that.

I for one find it interesting seeing all the different cattle and operations people have even though I will probably never own some of them.
I agree with this.
Most of us are small operators, I've been in the business all my life and I don't think my heard ever got over 250 animals.
It's the passion for the business that keeps most of us in it.
I went in the chicken business, I didn't need to use but about 5 acres of my land, there's no comparison what makes more money.
Chickens hands down ( I don't know about know with the high cost of putting up buildings).
We try to squeeze a profit out of beef cows but it's tough, we should make a little this year.
If someone wants to raise longhorns, Corrientes ect. , power to them, I do like them both and have made money with both.
To each their own.

I agree with this.
Most of us are small operators, I've been in the business all my life and I don't think my heard ever got over 250 animals.
It's the passion for the business that keeps most of us in it.
I went in the chicken business, I didn't need to use but about 5 acres of my land, there's no comparison what makes more money.
Chickens hands down ( I don't know about know with the high cost of putting up buildings).
We try to squeeze a profit out of beef cows but it's tough, we should make a little this year.
If someone wants to raise longhorns, Corrientes ect. , power to them, I do like them both and have made money with both.
To each their own.
There is not a lot of difference in the hobby type herds and the highly promoted, pampered and overfed seedstock herds. All require a lot of sale efforts, folks are asked to see a high value in the described animals without a proven future. It's all in marketing. In the middle are the folks trying to raise cattle to sell for meat or as solid commercial cattle. I'd rather see the hobby folks enjoy their cattle more than seeing the input money crowd in "seedstock" help to ruin solidly bred working cattle.

Yeah, but what if somebody wanted to do that? Would you even sell to them?
No. We are on our 6th generation of breeding Champion Texas Longhorns. Would you use a Rembrandt for a doormat? Today's Longhorns are not beef cattle in the traditional sense. They are a specialty breed. You can eat a Longhorn, but then you could eat your horse. too. Some cultures do. Other cultures see a higher value in horses and dogs as an intelligent, beautiful animal with whom they can have a personal relationship and enjoy for a lifetime, not just 60 minutes of dining pleasure.

No. We are on our 6th generation of breeding Champion Texas Longhorns. Would you use a Rembrandt for a doormat? Today's Longhorns are not beef cattle in the traditional sense. They are a specialty breed. You can eat a Longhorn, but then you could eat your horse. too. Some cultures do. Other cultures see a higher value in horses and dogs as an intelligent, beautiful animal with whom they can have a personal relationship and enjoy for a lifetime, not just 60 minutes of dining pleasure.
Wow, you guys must have been in it a long time. The L bar brand has only passed through four generations of Lasaters.

Most of the longhorns today still aren't show cattle, but you call it what you will. Their conformation has actually probably increased in beef utility since the 1800s simply because they now have a selection mechanism that isn't simply "this one is weak so it will die in the winter"

No, they certainly aren't what we call beef cattle in the westernized world where the Midwestern model rules the market, but if you knock one in the head and shuck the hide, that is still what it is made of.

Wow, you guys must have been in it a long time. The L bar brand has only passed through four generations of Lasater
Wow, you guys must have been in it a long time. The L bar brand has only passed through four generations of Lasaters.
Bet they taught Shanghai Pierce about upgrading the hatchet assed things with some Brimmers.
A generation is considered 20 to 30 years.

I have eaten horse more than once. It is not half bad. I know people who eat it pretty regularly. I have never ate dog that I know of. But I have ate cat in the form of mountain lions and bobcats. It is actually pretty good. I certainly wouldn't compare a longhorn to a Rembrandt. But as I said earlier if you are happy raising pasture pets I am happy for you. But I do remember last fall when I commented about knocking the horns off a longhorn mutt cross heifer that you posted wondering why anyone would knock the horns off a longhorn. That they were worth big bucks. Maybe for you and your market. If that is true I am happy for you. But here they are considered #3 cattle which pay accordingly.

I have eaten horse more than once. It is not half bad. I know people who eat it pretty regularly. I have never ate dog that I know of. But I have ate cat in the form of mountain lions and bobcats. It is actually pretty good. I certainly wouldn't compare a longhorn to a Rembrandt. But as I said earlier if you are happy raising pasture pets I am happy for you. But I do remember last fall when I commented about knocking the horns off a longhorn mutt cross heifer that you posted wondering why anyone would knock the horns off a longhorn. That they were worth big bucks. Maybe for you and your market. If that is true I am happy for you. But here they are considered #3 cattle which pay accordingly.
Since @PremierLonghorns has a good market for them maybe he could offer his services to those close to him as a sales agent. I'm sure there are people here that could find less expensive horned cattle and turn them over to him for a split on the $2500 value less the original cost.

Since @PremierLonghorns has a good market for them maybe he could offer his services to those close to him as a sales agent. I'm sure there are people here that could find less expensive horned cattle and turn them over to him for a split on the $2500 value less the original cost.
That's unironically how horse trading works 80% of the time. Lots of $500-$1,000 dollar horses at the auction become $1,500-$2,500 horses when a riding barn that sells horses buys them and then they become a $3,000-$5,000 dollar horse when some slicker family buys them.

That's unironically how horse trading works 80% of the time. Lots of $500-$1,000 dollar horses at the auction become $1,500-$2,500 horses when a riding barn that sells horses buys them and then they become a $3,000-$5,000 dollar horse when someslicker family buys them.
You can't give a hay burners away here !
I haven't see a horse at auction in several years.

You can't give a hay burners away here !
I haven't see a horse at auction in several years.
The market on real good horses here has got ridiculous. A good been there done that ranch horse will bring $10,000. Solid rope horses..... you need to take out a mortgage on the house. Loose horses at the cow sale are $300-$800.

Welcome to the forum! Ignore the crabby burno. Longhorns do have their place in the beef industry. I manages a Facebook group involving Corrientes and Longhorns in crossbreeding programs. You could be surprised about how the crossbreds do well as long as you use a right bull on these horned cows.

Latest posts