Building a Longhorn Herd

Help Support CattleToday:

Does anyone remember a youngster named Ryan, who used to post pictures of Longhorns he and his father had bred with the emphasis on improved conformation? They had some well conformed cattle which I assume still retained the hardiness and adaptability of the original genotype.

Does anyone remember a youngster named Ryan, who used to post pictures of Longhorns he and his father had bred with the emphasis on improved conformation? They had some well conformed cattle which I assume still retained the hardiness and adaptability of the original genotype.
I don't remember their name but I do remember some one who posted some very nice animals one time.

Pasture ornaments they are still sorry bovines worse than the crap we ran in the sixties.
People around here buy them the ag exemption the CADs is wising up pretty quickly.
They should still be preserved, they are valuable history. Most dog breeds have become useless as well, but merit preservation.

They should still be preserved, they are valuable history. Most dog breeds have become useless as well, but merit preservation.
The thing I like about Longhorns is their longevity, calving ease, and fertility. If you could get those things into European breeds that put the meat on the bone you'd make more money.

On the other hand, if you could get Longhorns to breed early, grow, and finish well you'd have a better animal.

Of course changing the buyer to overlook color would be impossible...

I feel bad because they get such a bad wrap or they warped into these mutants for monster horns. I prefer to see them turned out and left alone. They kind of remind me of a Buffalo... just used up and cast aside.
You are right about that. I myself don't care for fooling with those with an 8' to 10' horn spread. Some one who wanted to breed bucking bulls, could buy a herd of LH cows and use a Brahma bull, for less than 25% of the cost to buy a herd of Brahmas and use a LH bull. A lot go with the Brahma cows because it is hard to deal with those horns as far as working them, hauling them etc. There are still a lot of LHs, even registered LHs, that have horns more like you see on Corriente, Piney Woods and Fla Scrub/Crackers. And breeders will sell those cows, or bulls, with "tiny" 3-4 foot spreads, for a lot less than those monsters you mentioned., These are their "culls". There are a lot of people here on CT, that have these type cows that they breed to their Angus, Charolais, etc, bulls,. They get decent calves out of them to sell...most of the time polled. Do these calves bring the same per pound as their all-beef calves do? Well. no, but they can actually give you more profit. At this time with prime black steers bringing $2.50 - $3 a pound, our black, polled, 1/2 Corr steers will bring $2. But, you are looking at 2-300 dollars per cow vs $2k or more. For the price of one good cow, you can buy 5-10 of the Criollo types, and you will have little to no inputs, un-assisted heifer calving. no losses of cow and/or calf at calving, no calves rejected, etc I think LHs and the other criollo still have a place in the industry today, other than yard ornaments, or Longhorn Steakhouse decor.

Hmmmm, we have some "tiny" animals we rotate and do well, low imput from us make more profit. Then again it's not our business, its for fun.
We think most without horns are silly looking, missing something.
Our customers wouldn't go to a sale barn because they don't learn anything about the animals. Where they come from, what they eat and how they are treated. Walk around our farm, through our pasture and see them eat and play. It's the selling point for raw meat! What was in your Vax? now in your animal, and your sprayed fields, or your feed that at one time or another was covered in some type of chemicals etc.? We know from birth to butcher what goes in, no questions about it.
Difference between our useless bovine and yours, is we sell to the end of the line, the family that eats it........... and they like to know.

Hmmmm, we have some "tiny" animals we rotate and do well, low imput from us make more profit. Then again it's not our business, its for fun.
Our customers wouldn't go to a sale barn because they don't learn anything about the animals. Where they come from, what they eat and how they are treated. Walk around our farm, through our pasture and see them eat and play. It's the selling point for raw meat! What was in your Vax? now in your animal, and your sprayed fields, or your feed that at one time or another was covered in some type of chemicals etc.? We know from birth to butcher what goes in, no questions about it.
Difference between our useless bovine and yours, is we sell to the end of the line, the family that eats it........... and they like to know.
Your just one recession or depression away from no customers.
That's like the people that think land can't loose value.

Yep. I think his name was Ryan Culpepper. I don't think his photos are available to see here now since they were linked to photobucket, but they were the beefiest Longhorns I've seen.

Yep. I think his name was Ryan Culpepper. I don't think his photos are available to see here now since they were linked to photobucket, but they were the beefiest Longhorns I've seen.
You are correct Re the photos, I did a search on the old posts and they are gone. With my background in "unimproved" breeds I was very interested in their program at the time - goes to show what the Longhorn might have been had a few people selected for conformation while everyone else was breeding them to British imports.

Your just one recession or depression away from no customers.
That's like the people that think land can't loose value.

Funny you mention that...
My wife and I did well enough with buying and selling properties in the last
20 years that we both retired over 10 years ago. Her at age 45 and me at 40. Guess it's all on HOW you play the game.

You say that raising cattle is a hobby for you. So then why are you putting down those of us who are trying to make a living farming?
Rather than paint with a broad brush, what specifically is wrong with sprays chemicals and vaxes?

Funny you mention that...
My wife and I did well enough with buying and selling properties in the last
20 years that we both retired over 10 years ago. Her at age 45 and me at 40. Guess it's all on HOW you play the game.
Let's see who pee the highest?
That's funny you're trying to BS people at their own game.

Not painting anyone with anything. Just saying there are other ways to do things. Not putting anyone down. If you re read all the posts in the thread I and every other lawn ornament owner were put down, repeatedly.
B's people at their own game? Alright sturdy wings.....

Our

Our calves start at $2,500. Get a hamburger somewhere else LOL
I am glad that you like your pasture pets and do well with them financially. But the fact is that the vast majority people who raise cattle do it to supply meat to themselves or other. That is true if they own a single animal for their own use or hundreds or even thousands and make a living with them. If too many people went to raising pasture pets suddenly they would be only worth what they bring on the open market. Watched that happen with llamas, alpacas, and a lot of other critters. And what they are worth on the open market ain't much. Stopped at the sale for a short time today. Watched some 750 pound longhorn steers sell for $0.80 a pound. Less then half what good beef steers bring.

I may be wrong but I thought this forum was basically a community of those who all share an interest (or whatever you want to call it) in cattle. That to me means all cattle, from pets to big commercial operations, seedstock, and everything between.

It seems like every time someone mentions a longhorn or highland or whatever people have to tell them they just have pets that don't pencil out. Honestly, who cares? They just want a place to go and talk 'cattle' and ask cattle related questions and a forum titled "Cattletoday" ought to be a place you could do that.

I for one find it interesting seeing all the different cattle and operations people have even though I will probably never own some of them.

Latest posts