Bucket Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Goose37

Reaction score
Is anyone in the bottle calf business and staying profitable? I have been doing Angus calves and bottle-feeding through February and March and then putting out on grass about March or April with feed supplement. They tend to do well. My question was anybody done this with holsteins or jerseys and still done well? There is a supplier in my area of cheap bucket calves however the Angus calves can get expensive initially. They have worked out so far that I've been able to build up all my fence. If someone has a similar approach, how heavy are you getting them before selling.
Located in Midwest if that matters. Got the grass, got the drive, and just dumb enough that it might work.

$200-400 is what they sell for around here...which is baffling. I was fortunate to get a couple"unaccepted twins" from a local farmer for some side work. Definitely not pulling the trigger on a $400 3 day old calf...but guess they're worth what people will pay.

$200-400 is what they sell for around here...which is baffling. I was fortunate to get a couple"unaccepted twins" from a local farmer for some side work. Definitely not pulling the trigger on a $400 3 day old calf...but guess they're worth what people will pay.

Goose37":2lfn2ldm said:
Ya Prices are all over the board here also. Just curious what other folks were paying

Personally, I have never seen the profit in bottle calves. I try hard not keep my own orphans.

I actually like a dairy cross cow. You'd think with milk prices so low, there would be some dairy cross calves on the market. I would fool with some half dairy heifers just to make cows out of them.

2014 survey of dairy producers
24% weaned calves at 6 weeks
25% wean at 7 weeks
20% wean at 8 weeks
31% wean at 9 weeks or older

Calf feeding/growth study - weaning at 6 wks vs 8 wks
6 wk group averaged 1.36 lbs of gain per day to 8 wks of age
8 wk group 1.50 lbs/day

both groups averaged 2.24 lbs from 8 weeks of age to 16 weeks of age
both had similar frame and weight at 16 wks with 8 wk group weighing only 3 lbs more than calves weaned at 6 wks

Calculated feed cost with milk replacer 1.20 lb ($60 for 50 lb bag) calf starter feed 20 cents lb
$295 to 16 wks for 6 wk weaning
$325 to 16 wks for weaned at 8 wks

Make of it what you will, but last time I bought milk replacer it was $70 bag.

Right now with calf prices being what they are, milk replacer costs, figuring some compensation for your time, it is cheaper to buy weaned started holstein steers for $.70- $.85 a lb. I figure that I have at least $300 in a weaned holstein steer calf; and he is going to weigh in the 275 to 325 range. So in essence, it costs me $1.00 lb to raise that calf. A 400 lb holstein steer will cost you $320 at 4 to 5 months, figuring 400 lbs @ $.80 /lb. There is no way to make money at it now. Most holstein bull calves will cost $100 or more right now. And anything that is straight beef will cost what you are saying; $200 to $400.

The only reason I do it is because I have nurse cows. They raise an average of 3 calves if I don't switch them out at 4 months for a second set of 2 more. So, at an average cost to keep a dairy cow @ $600 per year, two weaned off calves will pay for her and the third one is "free" . If I only have her raise 3 per lactation, she will wean them off at 400 + lbs per calf. That is extra feed for at least the first 4 months, plus all the hay and or grass she can consume. Since the holsteins don't bring as much as a beef calf, I will figure that they will bring me $350 each. Every year is different. Cost of the calf is a big thing. I try to find some cross calves as more dairyman are breeding their lower end dairy cows to beef. But those calves here will bring $150 to $250 on average. I do not buy from the stockyards, I buy direct from a farm and have a pretty good relationship with a couple of dairies that I do real good with their calves. Right now I have been buying some jersey/holstein cross heifers that will make me more nurse cows in the future. I have 5 nurse cows now and one will be leaving due to attitude with both the calves and the other nurse cows. She's a 2 teater too. Have 2 jersey heifers coming fresh in May and June. They will hopefully raise 3 each.

Son of Butch broke it down pretty good. Milk replacer has gotten more expensive for the good stuff. I kept track of how much "more " grain I fed for my nurse cows to feed 3 calves as opposed to only 2 a few years back. If you figure a beef cow costs us between $450 and $500 year to maintain, raising one calf, it wasn't too hard to figure I was putting an extra $100 in my dairy cows in grain. Got the extra 2 calves, they bring less than a good beef calf but there are 2. The thing is, I LIKE my dairy cows so it is worth it to me. Weaned 3 off one cow and she has 2 more on her. There were 2 holsteins and her calf which is a 1/2 angus. I will keep her heifer and sell the 2 holsteins. Have another I just weaned 3 off and she also has 2 more on her. The other 2 will only raise 2 each. The one cow will go with the 2 calves and my old guernsey will stay even though she only raises 2. I am trying for a guernsey heifer from her. She will take anything I give her so she has earned her place. The 5th one just calved with a 1/2 angus heifer and I have put 2 dairy cross heifers on her so they will likely all stay as replacements down the road.

I don't see any profit in bottle calves anymore. 20 years ago you could when they were costing $25 or so. Milk replacer was half what it is now and the holsteins were worth $.50 lb all the time, at any size. So if you had $175 in a calf and you got back $250 to $300 you could make a bit.

Beef calves are scarce here so can't say if they would be worth it but at $300 for a calf, and getting it to 350 lbs and looking good, it would be worth $1.75 lb here; that's a bit over $600. So you are seeing very little over costs at that size. If you can graze them, then maybe you will see a lower cost per lb input, and some profit at 600 lbs.

very top 400 lb holstein steers 1.35 = $540 hd
but many 375-425 lbs also available at 1.05 = $395-$446

100 lb holstein calves 1.00 = $100
16 wks = 112 days x 2.25 lbs = 252 lbs + 100 = 352 lbs
$100 + $295 = $395 to get them to 352 lbs = 112.25 cwt or $395 hd breakeven for 352 lbs
Good luck making any money..... and you'll need a lot more than luck if you lose one or 2 along the way. :(

Neighbor buys all the local orphans/twins/blind calves/etc., including mine. $100 Holsteins, maybe $200 for beef calves. Day old. Has 3 milk cows on lactation rotation. Raises 10-15+ a year. He just expanded, ripped out stanchions in 1/2 of dairy barn and made into pens for bottle calves.

He does well with it. Takes them all the way from day old to 800+ lbs. Within a month of arriving, they are started on dairy ration and alfalfa hay. Could never do it if he had to buy milk replacer - maybe if he got the calves for free.

I think the money in bottle calves is in being the original owner and getting rid of them as soon as they are going good on the bottle. We've been selling them for $450 to $500 per head this spring. If I tried to raise them I'd never come out as well. Sure reduces the work load too.

Tell me why there are so many "beef" bottle babies available? Are there really that many twins or dead cows around? I don't know of anyone who breeds beef cattle, only to pull the calf and raise it on a bottle. Would I be wrong in suspecting lots of calves sold as "beef" calves are actually half dairy?
There was a post on Facebook the other day about this, and how calves are stolen right out of the pasture, hours to days old, and sold. It made me think about where all these beef bottle babies are coming from.

Fire Sweep Ranch":3v6bi1nz said:
Tell me why there are so many "beef" bottle babies available? Are there really that many twins or dead cows around? I don't know of anyone who breeds beef cattle, only to pull the calf and raise it on a bottle. Would I be wrong in suspecting lots of calves sold as "beef" calves are actually half dairy?
There was a post on Facebook the other day about this, and how calves are stolen right out of the pasture, hours to days old, and sold. It made me think about where all these beef bottle babies are coming from.

Bottle calves just seem to come along for many reasons. Generally due to twins but lots can go wrong where a calf ends up without a willing mother.
We're at 14 sets of twins, our neighbour has had 11 last I heard.
I had never considered folks stealing calves and selling them as bottle calves. Kinda scary.

Latest posts