Bucket calves

Help Support CattleToday:

DallyCash

Reaction score
I read a few other threads on raising bucket calves, but had more questions than they answered.
We have access to get free bucket calves (beef, from heifers that calves at the feedlot.) We wouldn't keep any (I hope) for breeding, all will be sold.

The one bonus I see, is that since the mama's have been at the yard, they have been fed consistantly, they aren't coming off of starved cows. But since they are feedlot heifers, what testing (if any) would you do to the calves? BVDPi?
But what shots do we need to give, and when? Do we give anything as soon as we receive them? Or just wait till they are going good and give them then?
My plan is to receive them, keep them at home till going good (about a week), then take them to the farm and put in a pen with the others and feed from a milk bar (and grain starter, hay), until 6 weeks old or so then, put them into another pen where they will be fed grain, hay and grass when available. And sell them at about 500#.

Tell me where you see holes in my plan, and help me with vaccinations.
Thanks!!

Inforce 3 on arrival
after going good [including learning to eat a good calf starter] 7-10 days
move to farm - then milk bar and more calf starter - no hay till after weaning,
then move to next pen, grain mix, hay and vaccinate.

Son of Butch":iqucvzmr said:
Inforce 3 on arrival
after going good [including learning to eat a good calf starter] 7-10 days
move to farm - then milk bar and more calf starter - no hay till after weaning,
then move to next pen, grain mix, hay and vaccinate.

Why no hay till after weaning? Fills calf up with less nutritious materials?

The rumen doesn't really start developing until 6-10 weeks to utilize the hay, but in the same token, they won't learn to start eating it if it isn't there to start picking at. Plus you will get less sucking on each other if they have hay to learn to start eating. Most dairies offer it free choice in a little hay feeder/rack after about 2 weeks as well as free choice calf starter feed to get them trying it. Some do wean at 6 weeks but I personally don't like to do it until 8-10 weeks. I mean you don't wean your calves off your beef cows that soon.... It really depends on how well they are eating. I see no reason to not keep some of the heifer calves if they are nice.....but that's strictly your preference. Blackleg for sure at weaning, then it depends on what is prevelant in your area. What do you do for your beef cows? Maybe ask the vet at the feedlot what he would suggest or your own vet or even the farm mgr....If they are kept separate in groups, I wouldn't go too crazy with vaccinations when you first get them. There are some gels that will help prevent rota-corona virus that some places have a problem with and it will kill the calves quick. Also, coccidiosis can be a problem, blood in the manure/scours but can be cured if caught quick, with corid in the milk replacer.

Thanks for the information so far.

We give our calves vision 7 20/20 and express 5 in April (when they are about 2 or 3 months old) then again 2 weeks before weaning and again at weaning. This is what our vets recommend.

What do you guys recommend for preventing scours? We will feed adm medicated milk replacer. Are there any good vaccines that are worth it? Or is it more management controlled?

For grain, we will feed land o lakes dairy calf starter. It is 18% protein, and is a grain/some pellets with cotton seed hulls. It might be medicated too, I'm not sure.

My husband and I just prefer to have more background information on our heifers we buy. Except when we bought those anaplas cows ha. If we knew more about these calves, then it would be different.

I would expect very high death loss. While the heifers have been fed good, most of them are trying to calve at 8-900 pounds. Most of the calves have survived a lute shot. The ones I've seen usually come early, weighing about 25-30# for the really early ones, to 60# for the more mature ones. The calf has had a very rough start to life, they've been exposed to most diseases known to cattle, and were almost always pulled out of a heifer who has been laying down fat in her repro tract for a good chunk of time. Most of the feedlots I know will pull the calf, and do what they can to take care of it, but they are set up to handle finishing animals, not as a maternity ward. While it sounds like a sweet deal, most people around us have decided it is not worth it, even with free calves, because the death loss is so high.

nkotb":2027fdjl said:
I would expect very high death loss. While the heifers have been fed good, most of them are trying to calve at 8-900 pounds. Most of the calves have survived a lute shot. The ones I've seen usually come early, weighing about 25-30# for the really early ones, to 60# for the more mature ones. The calf has had a very rough start to life, they've been exposed to most diseases known to cattle, and were almost always pulled out of a heifer who has been laying down fat in her repro tract for a good chunk of time. Most of the feedlots I know will pull the calf, and do what they can to take care of it, but they are set up to handle finishing animals, not as a maternity ward. While it sounds like a sweet deal, most people around us have decided it is not worth it, even with free calves, because the death loss is so high.
I agree. I figure about every 10 calves they should give you a shovel

Latest posts