Bryan/College Station

Help Support CattleToday:

northcreek

Reaction score
Next month I will be traveling to Bryan to pick up a Gooseneck trailer. I know several of you are from the area, I am wanted some opinions on a good local bbq and or steakhouse. I may spend a night or two around the area so if there is anything you would recommend seeing I would appreciate that as well. Thanks in advance.

Tb I believe is more likely to be found up there where the Brazos gets real bendy. Although he's always got good insight and went to school in college station. Vette and GB are closer than me. Greene's Smokehouse at Zabicksville might be on your route depending.
Definitely worth a stop.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Isn't TexasBred near there? He should have some good insight.

TT I haven't been back to Bryan College Station three times since I left there fifty years ago. For a cold beer they say the Dixie Chicken over at North Gate is good for atmosphere but is the hot spot for the college kids too so you might not enjoy it so much. Not familiar with the BBQ/Steak Houses but I'm sure there are some around.

I know it's a chain, but for steaks I don't think you can beat the Texas Roadhouse in the big shopping center at the corner of Highway 6 and University Drive. It's a little noisy, but if you don't mind that I recommend it. I've probably been there a dozen times and never had a bad experience.

For barbecue, you might try either C&J's or Cooper's. Cooper's is a little different because you go through a line beside the pit and tell them how much of each kind of meat you want, and they slice it off while you watch. I've only been there once, and it's kinda pricey, but you might like it.

C&J's has steaks, burgers, and barbecue, and I've never heard anything bad about it.

If you feel like driving 25 or so miles south of there, in my opinion the HiHo convenience store at the intersection of Highway 6 and 105 has the best breakfast tacos anywhere around. Before I started working from home I stopped there every morning.

I'd offer to meet you somewhere for a meal, but my wife and I are sticking pretty close to home these days. We haven't eaten at a restaurant since March. If you have time to kill, you're welcome to come visit. We could sit outside and drink a beer, or go look at my cows (though that won't take long). I'm about 40 miles southeast of B/CS.

TexasBred said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

TT I haven't been back to Bryan College Station three times since I left there fifty years ago. For a cold beer they say the Dixie Chicken over at North Gate is good for atmosphere but is the hot spot for the college kids too so you might not enjoy it so much. Not familiar with the BBQ/Steak Houses but I'm sure there are some around.

Well when a fellas bio says he lives in the "Heart of Texas" what else could it mean if not College Station?

Rafter S said:
I know it's a chain, but for steaks I don't think you can beat the Texas Roadhouse in the big shopping center at the corner of Highway 6 and University Drive. It's a little noisy, but if you don't mind that I recommend it. I've probably been there a dozen times and never had a bad experience.

For barbecue, you might try either C&J's or Cooper's. Cooper's is a little different because you go through a line beside the pit and tell them how much of each kind of meat you want, and they slice it off while you watch. I've only been there once, and it's kinda pricey, but you might like it.

C&J's has steaks, burgers, and barbecue, and I've never heard anything bad about it.

If you feel like driving 25 or so miles south of there, in my opinion the HiHo convenience store at the intersection of Highway 6 and 105 has the best breakfast tacos anywhere around. Before I started working from home I stopped there every morning.

I'd offer to meet you somewhere for a meal, but my wife and I are sticking pretty close to home these days. We haven't eaten at a restaurant since March. If you have time to kill, you're welcome to come visit. We could sit outside and drink a beer, or go look at my cows (though that won't take long). I'm about 40 miles southeast of B/CS.

https://www.experiencebcs.com/blog/post/top-barbeque-joints/

I'll reccomend C&J's. Either location. Coopers is relatively new in the area. I've eaten their once. I know BBQ has gotten expensive but really....sides aren't anything to write home about and really nothing special about the BBQ either.
Their was another place called Fargo's that was getting rave reviews a number of years ago but that seems to have died down. Never got around to trying it. Always wanted to try Martins....you don't stay in business 90 plus years with mediocre food. J. Cody's is pretty good. Lots of food on the plates.

The other places mentioned I've not heard of so must be relatively new.

I know Chicken Oil, Koppe Bridge Bar and Grill and Dixie Chicken had good burgers....don't know if that is still the case or it's just AGGIE Tradition but they are still around with all the new influx of competition. However, I'd probably go with Grub Bar & Grill.

Steak houses/Fine Dining... Christopher's World Grill or The Republic. Good steaks.
Moderately priced... Texas Roadhouse or Saltgrass. I prefer Texas Roadhouse. Roadhouse is consistent from Pflugerville, TX to Pencicola, Fl. I'd stop at any of them.
Good "home cooked" food....Cotton Patch Cafe. Almost forgot about Sodolaks just up the road from the Goosneck. Looks like it still gets good reviews.
Go to Mexican food in this area is Los Cucos or Chuy's.

I'm quite sure their are places I don't even know about that are good. I'm a creature of habit...and open spaces. I'm not likely to look or pay for parking blocks away so that's knocks a lot of the new places out.

Lots of places claim to be IT, but the geographical "Heart of Texas" is out near Brady.
I haven't been to Bryan in about 4 months and don't know what's still open there. The co-op still is and that's about all I know about it.
I lived and worked in that area for a long time but that was a long time ago.
A place out in Lexington Tx used to have real good BBQ but it's been 2-3 years since I was out there. That's 50 miles west of Bryan tho. Snows was the name of it.
(Yes, Oglesby and Waco claim Heart of Texas too, but so does Austin at times..)

greybeard said:
Lots of places claim to be IT, but the geographical "Heart of Texas" is out near Brady.
I haven't been to Bryan in about 4 months and don't know what's still open there. The co-op still is and that's about all I know about it.
I lived and worked in that area for a long time but that was a long time ago.
A place out in Lexington Tx used to have real good BBQ but it's been 2-3 years since I was out there. That's 50 miles west of Bryan tho. Snows was the name of it.
(Yes, Oglesby and Waco claim Heart of Texas too, but so does Austin at times..)

Snow's BBQ?

Its showing it temporarily closed. I tried to eat there a couple weeks ago.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
TexasBred said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

Well when a fellas bio says he lives in the "Heart of Texas" what else could it mean if not College Station?
lololol, unfortunately I'm out here in "Bear Country".

TexasBred said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
TexasBred said:

lololol, unfortunately I'm out here in "Bear Country".

Well that's nice too, just stay out of "Mustang country". I hear it has really changed since I lived there.

Rafter S said:

Rafter C that is very hospitable of you. I appreciate the offer.

Latest posts