Brunswick Stew - The real stuff

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
With winter coming there is nothing better than to make a batch of Brunswick Stew. Leftovers can be frozen and used later. Here is the recipe we use and it is delicious.

1 hog head
1 large hen
1 Boston butt
juice of 4 lemons
3 pounds of onions - chopped
1 small bottle of worchestershire sauce
1/4 cup vinegar
2 1/2 (32 ounce) bottles of ketchup
4 or 5 large potatoes chopped up into bits. Probably easier to buy a big bag of cubes.
1 quart of stock
gallon of shoe peg corn or white cream corn
salt and pepper to taste
tabasco to taste

Boil meat till done. Remove from water. Drain all stock out except about a quart or so. Remove meat from bones.

Put everything in a big pot and cook SLOWLY for several hours stirring often. Usually will take about 5 hours.
The key is to cook as much water off as possible so the stew is really thick. When cool, it has the consistancy of mud. Personally I add extra potatoes and corn. Okra is good too but I kept the recipe as it was given me.

Will make about 50 servings and you will have to run backwards while eating it to keep from swallowing your tongue. :nod:

Leftovers? Shoot, when mom used to cook for all the kinfolk, their wasn't ever enough left to be called leftovers. :lol:

Brunswick stew is as good as it gets. It's not easy to make but well worth the effort. My wife makes a huge pot very similar to Jo's recipe at least once a year so we have some in the freezer to pull out when desired.

The hogs head adds some stronger meat flavorings similar to those found in the feet. I doubt its ommission would really hurt the taste. However, you might want to replace it with a half measure of boston butt to make up for the lost meat.

The stew is good and well worth the trouble to make.

Here is a quick recipe for Brunswick Stew if you don't want the hassle of making the real stuff. This is nowhere as good as the original but it is very easy to make.

1 24ounce can of Brunswick Stew
1 10oz can of barbeque beef
1 10oz can of bbq pork
2 17oz canss of cream style corn
1 16 oz can of cut tomatoes
1 16 oz can of english peas
1 tsp of onion salt
1/2 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of black pepper
1 Tbs of vinegar
1 Tbs of lemon juice
1 Tbs of Worchestershire

Combine all ingredients and bring to boil, stirring to prevent scorching, the reduce to simmer and simmer for 30 minutes or so stirring occassionally.

This is a quick and easy recipe for semi authentic stew. Its more liquid than the real stuff but it is good nontheless.

Latest posts