Broken Leg

Help Support CattleToday:

But if you grind her and eat her she's worth a whole lot more then .50

dun

dun":10hmojar said:

dun

You ever eat meat from a stressed animal? Old timers always said stress hormones made it gamey. If you shoot a deer and it runs a mile on you it will be rough eating. Reckon there's any truth?

D.R. Cattle":cfrq6781 said:
Try runnin that cow through the sale ring and see if she gets .50/lb. "Pipe dream?"

Run her thru the rendering truck and see what it pays :p ''no pipe fact''

D.R. Cattle":3frudk6v said:
dun":3frudk6v said:

dun

You ever eat meat from a stressed animal? Old timers always said stress hormones made it gamey. If you shoot a deer and it runs a mile on you it will be rough eating. Reckon there's any truth?

It may not be as sweet as other meat, but it's still good eating. Years ago we used to get New Zealand bull beef that had been chased down with a truck and bumped, i.e. run into to knock them down. They'ld tie them up and drag them into a truck and haul them to slaughter. It had a strong beef taste, but I sure liked it. Wife wouldn't touch the stuff. Her loss as far as I was concerned.

dun

Caustic Burno":3hwaxfs3 said:
jerry27150":3hwaxfs3 said:
it's their cow let them do what they want.

Bark at the moon .
Typical of hobby ranchers spend a fortune on a 50 cent cow.
Why do some of you guys put somebody down because they want to try to save a cow or calf???? Sometimes it seems like its not okay to have a different opinion around here. Everthing runs along fine as long as you dont disagree with certain people and there support groups. If you do then you better look out!!!! Thers always more than one way to do something. Just because youve made more postings than somebody else doesnt make your way the only way or even the right way. :mad:
Caustic Burno you claim to be a "cattleman". I never heard of a REAL cattleman that put somebody down for wanting to save a cow or a calf

DR Cattle you said:

"If she wallers around long enough to calve, what happens to the calf afterwards? Will the cow waller around for a few more months and try to nurse the calf? How will she eat to support nursing? Will the proud owner kill the cow and bottle feed the calf? How long? How much will it cost you to bottle feed or support the cow that much longer? What kind of marketable product will come from this? "Peons" need to consider the full measure just the same as us "be nice". If you have nothing better to do, sounds like a project worth undertaking, otherwise your neglecting a lot more than $200."

Those are all good questions...but a lot of em its too soon to consider now....no use to put the cart before the horse. Worry about em as it goes. I said $200 just for a live calf. Could be more....could be less. All the other stuff about how long, how much, how whatever will just have to be judged as it goes.
Now for a guy with a cushy town job that spends your mornings fixing your hair to go to town its probably not worth the trouble....andI know lot of you guys with your cushy town jobs that probably makes $200 before I eat dinner ever day(if I get any dinner ;-) ). And if that town jobs what you dependon for your living maybe that should be your first priorty. But to those of us that have to salvage all we can from a bad situation all Im suporting is just another way out for the man. Lot of us have to get what we can out of a cow.....all we can out of EVERY cow....if that means extra trouble and extra work to save acalf we do it and dont consider the time and trouble.
Youll always be miserable in the cow business if you worry about your time and trouble......as long as you can pay the bills you should make yourself happy. Laying down at night and knowing you did your best is what its all about

Its not just the money either.....sometimes its the only chance of a reward and a smile in a case like that. And mister that is a NICE smile when you can spend some time and do some work to get a LIVE calf out of an otherwise dead or worthless cow!!!!! Even better if its a heifer calf you can save out of one of your best cows.....if you can save her and keep her around til she has her first baby you talk about a smile....thats a face breaker of a smile!!!! If youve ever done that you know what I mean!!!
To each his own I guess but maybe some of you shoot the cow guys didnt read this part of the guys posting or else you just didnt care

"Just add some words of wisdom here since he is trying to save her. They will not let her go long if she fights this treatment. He said he wanted to give her a chance. She must be a nice cow, otherwise, this man would not have any problem putting her down."

I dont care how much experience youve got or if youre a guru or not a guru....sometimes if you cant offer somebody encourgment its best not to offer nothing :D

D.R. Cattle":ulxp3q7j said:
"Guru" has nothing to do with it. We offered opinions which is what the original poster requested.
"Just add some words of wisdom here since he is trying to save her."
" They will not let her go long if she fights this treatment."
"He said he wanted to give her a chance."
" She must be a nice cow, otherwise, this man would not have any problem putting her down."

In order for someone to be able to put me down, I have to respect that person. There are a few here that I do respect . Those that I don't respect, I do not read their posts. It gives me the same knowledge as when the neighbor's dog down the road chases my truck.

The cow is up standing now with slings and the hip device. She is holding her weight good on the front legs and the leg that isn't broken on the back. The other leg, she is just resting it. She is staying very calm and eating and drinking like she always does.

tapeworm":x6uhump3 said:
Caustic Burno":x6uhump3 said:
jerry27150":x6uhump3 said:
it's their cow let them do what they want.

Bark at the moon .
Typical of hobby ranchers spend a fortune on a 50 cent cow.
Why do some of you guys put somebody down because they want to try to save a cow or calf???? Sometimes it seems like its not okay to have a different opinion around here. Everthing runs along fine as long as you dont disagree with certain people and there support groups. If you do then you better look out!!!! Thers always more than one way to do something. Just because youve made more postings than somebody else doesnt make your way the only way or even the right way. :mad:
Caustic Burno you claim to be a "cattleman". I never heard of a REAL cattleman that put somebody down for wanting to save a cow or a calf

Everybody is able to have a different opinion. I didn't see any post deleted. If you can't take a little name calling or being made fun of from time to time then you are the one with a problem. If you don't like someone's opinion or advice feel free to ignore it. Don't take everything so personally.

I had a heifer end up with a dislocated hip. We ate her and the meat was fine. My brother had a heifer break a leg he ate her and the meat was fine. A friend of mine had a heifer break her leg and she was tough as old shoe leather. The dogs ate her.

The only differences in the out comes were timing. My brother and I butcher ours the day after the incident. The friend butcher within the hour.

I was given a rib eye roast one time, andl the meat had an off flavor to it. I couldn't figure it out, but the roast was fresh. Later I was talking to my vet about it, and he told me the off flavor came from the animal running fever when it was slaughtered. I will pass on any beef that had the taste that one had. There used to be a packing house here the bought cattle for a large brand name line of meats. When someone around here had a cow that was sick, this establishment would take the cows. I remember people talking about hurring up and getting their cow there before it got too bad to take. After knowing that, I didn't buy any of their meat products.

Opinions are like cattle, everyone here seems to have them, and of course they are all different. Some are better then others.

What ever happens to that poor cow....good luck, and I am sure EVERYONE here at one time has, or will spend a bit of time and money trying to save a favorite cow or other livestsock. Yes?

Granted a trip to the butcher or nacker is usually by far the easiest route, but, as humans we have a certain frailty in our emotions, and we sometimes get attached to other living things. :cry: So many ppl think nothing of spending thousands on injured or sick Rover, and tens of thousands on sick Grandma Betty, even though we know the end result will be the same..... :cry: I support anyone who would take the time and effort to try and heal anything or anyone , as long as it does not result in prolonged pain.
Again good luck!

The cow's leg is stabilized. Is has a very heavy cast applied to the leg. The cow is standing with her weight on the three other legs, resting on the one that broke. She has slings that will not let her collapse. They are letting her down and getting her up. She is eating, drinking and chewing her cud like all the other cows. At the moment, she is not going backwards with treatment, but is going forwards. And don't forget, the mans wife works in surgery where they set broken legs with use of plates, rods etc....., and she knows what she is doing as far as the bone goes. What she can do for the cow would cost someone a lot of money at a vet's office. I think the cow is in good hands if it has any chance. If the she shows signs of getting worse, calf or no calf, he will put her down. He isn't going to let her suffer to get the calf. He wants her to make it beyond the calf. If the man wants to take care of her, then he can fit her in his schedule, and probably has more time to take care of her since he isn't spending all his spare time on the computer talking about it like we are. I am sure that I could do a lot more if I turned this thing off also. But I do enjoy this forum and I will continue to visit here and hopefully learn a thing or two.

The cow still remains the same and holding her own. She is still eating and drinking and seems to not be in any distress. I did not get up to his house this weekend from watching a heifer that shows sign of calving soon. He said she shows no sign of weakening. She moves her broken leg with the cast, but still doesn't put much weight on it.

Latest posts