Cow sliced leg need info

Help Support CattleToday:

skruzich":2p6gsy5h said:
as far as this not using the nitrofurazone on food animals as its off label. be nice most of what i do is off label with my animals these days. I don't think its going to hurt a thing...

Soo right now i am just letting it heal i'll check it after the storms stop and it starts drying up and retreat with the nitrofurazone after it drys up.

I did give a pen-g shot to boost her. I don't think it will need anymore than 5ccs that i gave her. It wasn't infected to begin with.

:bang:

That's not quite the emoticon I want, but it's pretty darned close...

Please tell me your animals don't ever make it into the supermarket for public consumption. As livestock owners we have a responsibility to treat our animals well and produce quality meat/milk for the consumer. Deliberately using medications that are strictly prohibited, because you don't agree with the reasoning behind the restriction, is asinine and unethical.

Also, under-dosing antibiotics because "it wasn't infected" can and will lead to antibiotic resistance. We have enough problems with the clueless public assuming livestock are responsible for antibiotic resistance in humans without adding to it.

I'm glad it's Friday.

milkmaid":19s7rfjy said:
skruzich":19s7rfjy said:
as far as this not using the nitrofurazone on food animals as its off label. be nice most of what i do is off label with my animals these days. I don't think its going to hurt a thing...

Soo right now i am just letting it heal i'll check it after the storms stop and it starts drying up and retreat with the nitrofurazone after it drys up.

I did give a pen-g shot to boost her. I don't think it will need anymore than 5ccs that i gave her. It wasn't infected to begin with.

:bang:

That's not quite the emoticon I want, but it's pretty darned close...

Please tell me your animals don't ever make it into the supermarket for public consumption. As livestock owners we have a responsibility to treat our animals well and produce quality meat/milk for the consumer. Deliberately using medications that are strictly prohibited, because you don't agree with the reasoning behind the restriction, is asinine and unethical.

Also, under-dosing antibiotics because "it wasn't infected" can and will lead to antibiotic resistance. We have enough problems with the clueless public assuming livestock are responsible for antibiotic resistance in humans without adding to it.

I'm glad it's Friday.

I think it was Lucky P that posted BRD being resistant to Draxxin, Nuflor, Baytril

We now have Veterinary Feed Directive and we wonder why the "Government " is getting in our business

Right you are, milkmaid.
Extra-label drug use is NOT the same as so-called 'off-label', which is more properly named... inappropriate (and sometimes illegal) use.

One dose of PPG will give a therapeutic drug level for about 12 hours... and a 5 cc dose is appropriate for a 165 lb animal.
Skruzich has described inappropriate and insufficient use(unless he/she is raising teacup Jerseys) of an antibiotic... illustrating quite effectively some of the reasons that we have issues with antibiotic-resistant pathogens - and why FDA continues to 'take away' drugs that veterinarians and producers used to have at our disposal.

Y'all can give all the old anecdotal tales of throwing salt, pepper, whatever, in a wound and it leading to miraculous healing, but it's BS. Even back in the day when nitrofurazone was allowed... it actually hindered wound healing... so why would you put it in there? A pretty decent rule of thumb, with regard to wound healing is: Unless YOU would put it in your own eye, you shouldn't put it in a wound.

Just because you can... doesn't mean that you should.

I didn't know that nitrofurazone was restricted, my apologies skruzich. But, when you're on your own, that's what happens. When you have no damn help, what are you to do? The best you can, and let it ride.

skruzich":2imvqagy said:
milkmaid":2imvqagy said:
I treat and wrap all my bovine leg injuries like I would for a horse. If she were here... I'd sedate, block with local anesthetic, trim the flap, clip from fetlock to hock/knee, scrub the wound thoroughly and bandage. I've plenty yet to learn, but I have a good track record with some really nasty leg injuries. This may be a situation where you should have your vet out...

Also... please note that Nitrofurazone and Blu-Kote are both prohibited in food producing animals. Always check labels... most horse stuff is unfortunately not OK to use on cattle.
vet doesn't want to come out. Said he didn't think it was bad enough for him to do it. He knows i work on my animals and usually all he has to do is tell me what to do. This time though i was more worried about the death factor of myself with a 1200lb bull and a young cow i've not messed with since she was born. Now she's kinda comfortable with me and doesn't backup on me when i touch her after working with her today. Though she was pretty well stressed by the time i was done. I hate stressing them.

Common around here too, if you can get ahold of them at all.

talltimber":32lh33mb said:
I didn't know that nitrofurazone was restricted, my apologies skruzich. But, when you're on your own, that's what happens. When you have no be nice help, what are you to do? The best you can, and let it ride.

There's a difference between not knowing better, and knowing and doing it anyway...

Still, it's clearly written on the front of the container. I know this because one of the employees at work keeps trying to talk me into letting him use nitrofurazone on wounds. Not happening..... :p

Lucky_P":168rxzo7 said:
Y'all can give all the old anecdotal tales of throwing salt, pepper, whatever, in a wound and it leading to miraculous healing, but it's BS. A pretty decent rule of thumb, with regard to wound healing is: Unless YOU would put it in your own eye, you shouldn't put it in a wound.

Just because you can... doesn't mean that you should.

BS? Why? Because it's not a prescription?

Lastly, I think there's a LOT of remedies (prescribed or not) that we use (vets included) on wounds that we wouldn't put in our eye.

Latest posts