Calf with knot on leg

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
I've got a 2 month old bull calf that's limping on his right front leg. He's been limping around for about a week. I first thought it was foot rot and treated him accordingly. It obviously wasn't as he has a knot on his leg. I don't know what you call the spot (I tried to circle it in the picture but can't figure out how) but its the pointy bone above his knee, up by his belly on the back side of his leg. I gave him a shot of banamine and turned him back out. He's obviously eating fine, just lags behind the rest of the cows and limps a bit.

The knot is rather hard, not mushy and is not overly tender to the touch nor hot. His temp is normal. I've read about joint ill, but never had any in 25 years. Could this be joint ill? Thanks!

Joint ill is as specified, in the joint. Never seen it anywhere accept in except in the knee joint.

Yes a knock to the point of the elbow will cause a ball of fluid to form and will be uncomfortable. They can be drained and some depot corticosteroid to try and suppress more fluid forming but probably best just left alone.

Ken

Latest posts