Broadcasting turnips the rye grass

Help Support CattleToday:

Freeman

Reaction score
Well a couple weeks ago I disced a field up pretty good and yesterday while it was raining lightly I broadcasted turnips and ran the harrow behind the broadcaster. I'm going to broadcast rye grass next wknd but will not drag the field so I don't pull up any turnips that are starting to root. Anyone have good results with these methods?

Never harrowed the brassica in myself. I harrow first and while its all nice and soft I put both out at the same time and use a chain drag attached to the tractor with a length of chain to lightly cover. This way its a one pass deal. But it sounds like your way will work fine as long as you didn't bury the turnips too deep with the harrow.

398206_539985172684204_1801290173_n.jpg

Here is one way to spread rye grass, crimson clover and a few turnip seed in one pass.

ERNIBIGB":18f6ir3u said:
398206_539985172684204_1801290173_n.jpg

Here is one way to spread rye grass, crimson clover and a few turnip seed in one pass.
That looks like a real good way to do it on the level . On our hills that would never work , we work the ground nice , broadcast the seed and then roll with a packer .

The turnips and rye grass have really taken off after the last couple showers we got. Should have some really good forage ready to be grazed in Dec

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 5847_n.jpg

I drilled winter rye and oats into my silage field. My turnips and radishes did not arrive until 2 days after the drill went into the field. There was rain on the way so I did not want to miss that and drilled without the brassicas. After the rain I went into the field and just hand sowed the seed. I turned about 5 cows out to clean up the easy corn that was left and help pack the seed in. As you can see I have had ok results with nothing but a hand sow but there spots that took better than others. I hope the pic works!!

will have to take a photo fo the lot where I added 4 ounces of turnips to my boradcast cover crops.

was looking at it yesterday and told the wife to let me know when she wanted to fool with putting up some salad as I have about 3/4 of an acre of it now.....

will try to take a photo and post it.

this year I am putting some type of cover on all my grazing paddocks as I graze them....have used a lot of wheat as I found some cheap. putting some type of legume with it ....either crimson clover or wolly pod vetch. I am broadcastin everything with good results....usually broadcast then bushog....but have the splitter on the tractor now so did not bushog the paddocks seeded this weekend. have a lot of different mixes on a lto of paddocks....sort of experimenting....

hopefully sandy will bring us some rain without the wind tearing the place down.
I am still splittng wood from Irene last year.....
Sandy has been tearing up the coast for more than 24 hrs now. just started to drizzle here last night about 11:30. this morning I had 2/10 in my gauge. Supposed to get inches today thru tomorrow.

Latest posts