British White bull

Help Support CattleToday:

I would say for no more than what you're planning he'd probably work out just fine.

Looks like a decent grass type bull. His video says frame 2 although. British Whites seem very similiar to Galloways in the fact that most breeders shy away from any linebreeding. I left Galloways because I got tired of the cows just reproducing themselves without any real visible progress, no prepotency. Also I found with my frame 2 or 3 Galloways that they seemed to put more fat on their back rather than milk their calf. Just something to look for with replacements.

AllForage":kts1ji3r said:
Looks like a decent grass type bull. His video says frame 2 although. British Whites seem very similiar to Galloways in the fact that most breeders shy away from any linebreeding. I left Galloways because I got tired of the cows just reproducing themselves without any real visible progress, no prepotency. Also I found with my frame 2 or 3 Galloways that they seemed to put more fat on their back rather than milk their calf. Just something to look for with replacements.

Okay, their website says he's a frame 3, at 51", which actually makes him a 2.5.

I wondered if some linebreeding might be good when I was buying a few heifers. Seemed like a wide variation in cow size and build. I imagine a more novel breed has less knowledgable breeders to do such a thing?

I'm not too serious - just like the white color for heat tolerance, and at least the heifers I got are gentle. Supposedly this bull is pretty docile also.

When I still had a lot of Galloways I called a breeder in MI on some white galloways. She said they were in the ponds and making mud bogs near the water just like the blacks. To me it seemed logical that they would be more heat tolerant. I also found that one bad apple taught the others to mud themselves up.
Looks like he is very docile. Are you putting him on British white heifers?

nicely built.. but his legs are a bit stubby for what I like... kinda like herefords... get high centered on anything hehehehe

Northern Rancher":1n8s892t said:
Paint him black and put an OCC prefix on him and you'd have money in all your pockets!!

Does he need painted, or can I just call him a white angus?

AllForage":1n8s892t said:
When I still had a lot of Galloways I called a breeder in MI on some white galloways. She said they were in the ponds and making mud bogs near the water just like the blacks. To me it seemed logical that they would be more heat tolerant. I also found that one bad apple taught the others to mud themselves up.
Looks like he is very docile. Are you putting him on British white heifers?

Yes, I have a couple B.W. heifers. All part of my ongoing research to get the perfect cow for small acreage. Light color, smaller size, polled, docile, good udder, attractive.

At least in my mind white will tolerate heat better. Seems it has to help, though in 90+ temps they're still going to be hot. Maybe you've seen these articles comparing colors and hide temps.
http://www.stockmangrassfarmer.net/cgi- ... cgi?id=570
http://www.publish.csiro.au/?act=view_f ... 401039.pdf

I can also find white cows better in the dark and they photograph better. And my daughter likes them. If I can't run off whats-his-head, she'll get married here next summer next to the cow pen, so we need her favorite cows in the photo.

Without a milk cow now, I'm suffering with store milk on my cereal. I'm going to see if I can steal a quart or two daily from a beef cow. Maybe if I keep production up, they won't get fat as you mentioned. Ideally I'd have ¼ Jersey in the mix.

Caustic Burno":3lz5f2s8 said:
I have bought some cattle from Mrs. West she has a beautiful herd, I admire them every time I drive by.
She is a little eccentric but a nice lady.

Good to hear you admire them. I need something around here somebody can admire.

How come I'm starting to think I'm the last guy to hear about British Whites?
Nesikep":3lz5f2s8 said:
nicely built.. but his legs are a bit stubby for what I like... kinda like herefords... get high centered on anything hehehehe

Yeah, I'd prefer a more gazelle-like appearance, too, but then I'd need better fences.

Nice looking BW bull!!! The bulls I have seen at shows, granted not too many, but they don't even come close to this guy.
I really like his theme song too!!

I have a few British white heifers myself.
I have heard alot about Elvis. He should throw some good calves.
From the pictures I have seen of his calves, they should grow quickly. And his heifers will make good replacements.

As good of a British White bull that I have seen. Depends what you put him over, hybrid vigour will step in and give you nice sappy calves, ealier maturing than lots of breeds. have seen some magic BW crossed over South Devon and the same over a few different dairy breeds.

Australian":3p6cimvu said:
As good of a British White bull that I have seen. Depends what you put him over, hybrid vigour will step in and give you nice sappy calves, ealier maturing than lots of breeds. have seen some magic BW crossed over South Devon and the same over a few different dairy breeds.

The best cross i have seen is british white fleckvieh.
They make big cows and raise big calves.

Most of what I have seen is crossed with Angus, actually the breed looks like white Angus with a much better disposition. When using a BW bull is the white dominant? The only ones I have seen crossed with Angus were predominately white. What would one look like crossed with a Beefmaster, Brangus, Gert and so on.
IMO they are the prettiest cattle I have seen in a pasture

CKC1586":2o0ars5n said:
BRAFORDMAN":2o0ars5n said:
http://www.texasbritishwhitecattle.com/BritishWhiteCrossCalves.htm

Hre are some pictures of crosses.
The white is dominant. However it is not uncommon to get a different color calf other than white. If you keep that offspring there is a good chance the white will show back up in its offspring.
Wow! Great looking crosses!!

You'd swear some of those british white/angus cross cattle were speckle park.

Andrew

Latest posts