British White bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Okay, so if BW coloring is dominant, why do some crosses with black angus turn out mostly black? Is Randiliana or other genetics experts around? I was considering breeding my heifers for first calving to a black lowline angus and was wondering what the odds of the BW coloring would be.

While poking around the net, came across these photos:

Video-11-0-00-05-10-798538.jpg

britishwhitecalf.jpg

djinwa":ckh9yram said:
Okay, so if BW coloring is dominant, why do some crosses with black angus turn out mostly black? Is Randiliana or other genetics experts around? I was considering breeding my heifers for first calving to a black lowline angus and was wondering what the odds of the BW coloring would be.

Correction to what i posted earlier. It is mostly dominant. I said in the earlier post that you get a few that dont come out white.
With any cross it just depends on th cow and bull and how strong their genes are.

A breeder told me that J. West a british white breeder did some crosses with the lowline and she was very pleased.
I am no expert on british white I am just getting into that breed.
Why not ask a british white breeder herself.

YOu could email or call her if you had any questions about that cross.
Just follow the link i posted earlier.

You showed a link to J West , that pictured cross bred calves. I still have the brahman cross British White heifer that is pictured with the brahman cow. She is a very thick and deep bodied cow at 4 years old. I'll try to post a picture of her in the next few days. I like the british white breed, but did not keep the bull that long. He was older when I purchased him. Very Good natured animal. I wish I had a pasture full of the cross. Sometimes the spotted animals do take a hit at the sale barns.

I fully understand the heat tolerance / color issue - but - does white hair & black hide really make them heat tolerant??? I "think" the hide color would have more affect? but really don't know. Anyone got some more info on this?

brimmer X":242fo1xo said:
You showed a link to J West , that pictured cross bred calves. I still have the brahman cross British White heifer that is pictured with the brahman cow. She is a very thick and deep bodied cow at 4 years old. I'll try to post a picture of her in the next few days. I like the british white breed, but did not keep the bull that long. He was older when I purchased him. Very Good natured animal. I wish I had a pasture full of the cross. Sometimes the spotted animals do take a hit at the sale barns.
Please do.
I plan on crossing a british white bull with some of my brahman and nelore heifers

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1ud0asnx said:
I fully understand the heat tolerance / color issue - but - does white hair & black hide really make them heat tolerant??? I "think" the hide color would have more affect? but really don't know. Anyone got some more info on this?

Well, first off, British Whites' hide isn't all black. Most of the hide on my heifers is pink. Just the "points" (eyes, ears and nose) are black, and there is some dark spots scattered elsewhere, of which some have more than others.

My thinking is the white hair is outside the hide, so reflects heat energy away from the skin even if it was dark. But dark skin probably would absorb more heat. Don't have to worry about sunburn with dark skin around eyes. And they don't have to put on makeup. :)

Heat tolerance isn't all or nothing. White cows can still get hot, but I just want to help them out some. Cows are heat producers with their rumen cooking.

I guess I'll contact Ms West about black/white color dominance stuff. I also know a guy near here who got a British White bull to put on his herd of black cows he said had docility problems. In the spring I can see what percent of calves ended up mostly white.

Was doing some heat tolerance research and came across this piece, from which I took some excerpts:

http://nimss.umd.edu/homepages/home.cfm?trackID=11616

In most areas of the world, cattle destined for slaughter are fattened on grass. In the southern U.S. this requires cattle that are well-adapted to the ambient conditions (high temperature and humidity) and it is usually expected that only Bos indicus or Bos indicus crosses can be sufficiently adapted to such conditions to grow rapidly and efficiently. Since both a light coat color and a short hair length contribute significantly to increased heat tolerance, it is possible that the combination of short hair and lighter coloration will result in an animal with high growth potential under grazing conditions in the southern U.S. without Bos indicus influence.

Over the past two decades black has become the preferred color of feedlot and slaughter cattle in the USA, including the Southern Region. As a result, not only has the influence of Angus cattle increased, but the black gene has been incorporated, through upgrading and selection, into a number of previously red breeds such as the Simmental, Limousin, Gelbvieh, etc. This is in spite of the fact that black colored cattle will absorb more solar radiation than red or other lighter-colored cattle. Studies by Mader et al. (2002) and Davis et al. (2003) both showed rather dramatic (up to 0.5º) lower body temperatures while under heat stress for white (dilute-colored Charolais crossbred) as compared to black feedlot steers. This advantage is comparable to the effect of the Slick hair gene for heat tolerance reported by Olson et al. (2003). The combined effects on heat tolerance of cattle that are both light colored and slick-haired have never been evaluated.

Latest posts