Bringing cows from Texas to Alabama

Help Support CattleToday:

Does anyone know of any good ranches that sells tiger heifers? I've seen plenty on Cattle Range, just would like some more options.

Houston .. true but at this point in time I don't think you're going to find much grass that's very "lush" are with elevated levels of moisture or nutrients.

My uncle-in-law is going down to south Florida today to look at 200 tiger and braford cows. I may get some of them. Just have to wait and see. :banana:

circlew":2p1doy6r said:
Would cows from Texas be able to adjust to the climate and forage of Alabama? Wanting to get some f1 tigers. Can't find any that are worth a crap around here. My angus aren't cutting it in my opinion. Would like to get some tigers and breed to a charolais bull. Like the looks of the cross, and so did the buyers at superior.

Have you ever dealt with the Tigers, if not you better have some good pens. You don't drive or play cowboy with the Tigers or they will go through every fence in the country. You have to lead these girls, one strange armpit show up when working them, you will have a rodeo .

My granddaddy had some brahman crosses and worked them for years. I'm use to leading, I don't even push my angus. Mine will follow me to Montgomery with a bucket of rocks. :cowboy:

I bought some three in ones in Rice, Texas, and took them to Raeford N.C. from typical native range conditions to my fields which were old cotton fields with various local grasses, forbes, cow vetch and wild bermuda, despite coming from the dry heat to the humidity of NC, they never had a setback, and calved without trouble three months later. I don't know if the difference is similar to your conditions, Circlew.

andybob":2pincthq said:
I bought some three in ones in Rice, Texas, and took them to Raeford N.C. from typical native range conditions to my fields which were old cotton fields with various local grasses, forbes, cow vetch and wild bermuda, despite coming from the dry heat to the humidity of NC, they never had a setback, and calved without trouble three months later. I don't know if the difference is similar to your conditions, Circlew.
north AL. similar to your area... but from south GA. to east TX i dont see where it would be a problem at all

Tiger is short for tiger striped-- the brindle color coat that's commonly seen in Hereford/Brahman cross.

f1heifer1.jpg

Isomade":vayi09vm said:
It does seem to take cows at least a year to fully adjust for me even if I bring em 100 miles.

What does "fully adjust" mean to you?

I have not always bought the best cows - - and only about half of the purchased black cows are still here after 2 years. Reds do a bit better. I asked Terry Gombert about this and he said that was not unusual. Depends a lot on your style of management.

Interestingly, a much higher percent of purchased wf cows make the transition for me. They seem to be lower maintenance females.

Stocker Steve":23xcmbgz said:
Isomade":23xcmbgz said:
It does seem to take cows at least a year to fully adjust for me even if I bring em 100 miles.

What does "fully adjust" mean to you?

Out of interest Stoker Steve, what are your climatic conditions eg; summer/winter temperatures, snow depth etc ?
What type of grazing is typical for your regeon ?

About 28" of rain but it goes a long way when your frost free season is mid May to mid September.
Grazing season is early May to mid November if you are a great grass manager.
Wind chills and ice make stockpile grazing an issue.
Continuous grazing results in blue grass, WC, and thistle.

Your typical successfull operation would be British breeds, some form of rotational grazing and put up hay for winter then?
Bringing cattle in from north of your regeon result in better adapted cattle than those sourced from more southern states?

I graze angus x hereford cows on a 12 paddock system and buy in most of my hay.
I graze English stocker steers on a 9 paddock system. Also graze standing corn some years.
High ground is mostly fescue/OG/clover. Some alfalfa, BFT, and timothy.
Low ground is red top/clover/reed canary.
We get some -30 F every year so you you need a sharp pencil to make any money on cows. The winters are jsut too long unless you use some by products.

From the outside, it looks as though you are doing everything you can to make your system work in your environment, British, especially Celtic cattle would be the best for your conditions, has anyone tried a % Galloway in the cross to reduce winter feeding costs, but enough other breeds in the mix for an efficient winter coat shed when the weather improves?

I have purchased some Galloway stockers. They were a little aloof and very hardy. Never treated one, but the ADG was less than the "improved" breeds.
I have a friend who grass finished both BA and Galloway. Again, less ADG with the Galloway.
I think they would make a good F1 cow cross. A few extreme folks push Galloway x Angus, or even Highlander x Hereford, for low input cows.

circlew":3ap1qo7l said:
My granddaddy had some brahman crosses and worked them for years. I'm use to leading, yI don't even push my angus. Mine will follow me to Montgomery with a bucket of rocks. :cowboy:
I've always preferred the lead method over pushing or driving em too. I can'teven begin to tell ya how many times I've brought 40+ head into a corral by myself with nothing more than a 5g bucket of rocks.

Latest posts