Bring on heat or not

Help Support CattleToday:

susiq

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the shot you can give cows to bring them into heat. The vet said that usually this is done when you AI them. We have 3 bulls for 45 cows to breed and would like them to come in close together so that our calving season is also close together. Most of ours are angus, some limos, 4 belted galoways, and angus crosses in case that makes a difference.

What do you think?

Chyrle in Ash Grove

I think if your cows are all calved out for at least two months and you let the bulls in, and the cows are healthy they will be so close. Three mature, mature bulls should get it done quick. Let them all be calved and coming around and you won't need the drugs.

Scotty

You are probably thinking about Lutalyse - talk to you Vet for this. The better protocol is to use it With a CIDR which can help you get a timed breeding - esp for AI. But with that bull power- 3 bulls on 45 cows - just a shot will help get MOST in sync- but not all because they are in different cycle days-unless you use MGA feed added or the CIDR as above mentioned. Remember - we are working with Biology here - not every cow will conceive using the best of all the shots and implants. 1 bull should be fine for the cow numbers for a typical 60 day breeding period - but 2 is better for a mass breeding - 3 is overkill in my mind.

3 bulls an 45 cows you should be able to get them bred.w/o syncing them.and with a 60 to 90 day breeding season they should all get bred.scott

We thought the same thing but we had 9 come up open when preg checked. Last year we had 2. One bull is 4 1/2 years old, a registered angus. He is a really big bull. Then we got a brangus cross that is now 3 1/2 years old and gives a big calf. Too big for 1st calf heifers but is good on mature cows. So we got a third bull, now 2 1/2 years old also a registered angus with low birthweight numbers for the 1st calf heifers. The ones that came open were the 2nd calf heifers with our 4 year old and 1st calf heifers with the 2 year old.

Have you had the semen checked or acomplete Breeding soundness Exam (BSE) done on the bulls? Could be a bull problem, could be a cow problem. But you need to elininate the simplist to check problem first, the bull!

dun

First heifers have a tendency to take their time rebreeding. They've been busy trying to develop an udder and feed their first calf. We miss a few first cows every go round. But we don't make any exceptions on our breeding seasons. Bulls go in, stay for 3 months, bulls come out for 3 months. Start over again. If a cow or heifer is a persistent problem then the solution is obvious. I thought for a while on hitting the seasonal herd with Lutalyse at the right time but just haven't done it yet. I guess the real question is...if she isn't ready to cycle on her own, will Lutalyse trigger cycles anyway?

I also believe that if you let them come around naturally they will settle better. I know lots of people do use drugs. Some people use breding season time tables too cull cows also. In any case of using a shot or natutal you need to check. Don't feed an open cow. Also some come open may be a sign of problems. Older cows are not always the ones that won't breed back. IF the timed calving season is so important to you, this could be a good management tool.

Scotty

Scotty":1xouv1xb said:
I think if your cows are all calved out for at least two months and you let the bulls in, and the cows are healthy they will be so close. Three mature, mature bulls should get it done quick. Let them all be calved and coming around and you won't need the drugs.

Scotty

I agree. :cboy: ;-)

We had already discussed getting the 4 1/2 yr old tested. The 2 1/2 yr old bull that is with the 1st calf heifers could like you said be the heifers being hard to breed back. But by 2nd calf shouldn't they be getting preg readily? So yes the bull is the first step.
I truly hope we don't have to get rid of him. I get attached to my cows and bulls. Not a good practice but we don't work a secular job so this is what we do all day.

Chyrle

Don't forget one very important thing when playing around with drugs such as lutalyse.................if you give all your breeding age cows and heifers drugs like that, you will abort any pregnant ones.

That would not put you in a good position at all.

I would preg. check all of your cows, heifers, and if you can't find some one good enough ( an oldtimer such as myself, or any one confident) call a large animal vet,they should be able to verify any pregs from 45 days onward. :cboy:

Latest posts