Breeding issue

Help Support CattleToday:

Hunter

Reaction score
I purchased a few bred commercial heifers and also an open registered heifer from a "reputable" seller via auction last year. Only two have calved and the open still appears to be open.
What have your experiences been when letting the seller know what is going on?

I'm assuming the registered, open heifer was exposed to your bull or AI'd? And agree, were they preg checked, including an estimated due date? Always the possibility of an abortion after the sale and depending on the length of gestation, you may not have noticed. What is their body condition and have they been fully vaccinated? Best bet is to call the seller and find out.

The registered was open when I purchased her but the three commercial were all bred safe according to their vet with calving dates. Two of the commercials had calves but the third never did and still hasn't. The third was due back in September. The registered has been with our bull for a year and finally appears to be pregnant. Have not preg checked her.
I left a message with the breeder last week and they have not called back. BTW, this operation is not small as they sold over $1 million worth of cattle last year.
The sales book said they guarantee bulls but didn't see anything on cows/heifers.

Has anyone else had issues with heifers not calving that were purchased from a larger breeder? If so, what have your experiences been when notifying them? Does it matter if they are registered vs commercial?

Purebred sales typically have "terms and conditions" that are published in the catalog. Typically bred heifers have been confirmed bred by a vet. Then they are hauled after the sale (maybe hundreds of miles with other cattle) and can be stressed and challenged with exposure to sick cattle and all sorts of weather changes and things. Generally, the buyer is the new owner as soon as the bred heifer leaves the ring and is responsible for whatever happens. I have purchased bred heifers before and sometimes have one abort. Who should be responsible when the animal is confirmed bred prior to the sale and then aborts later at the new owner's place? I did mention that the heifer aborted and the seller indicated a willingness to make some adjustment, but seems to me that he sold a bred heifer, then I owned her. I did not see that he had any responsibility for my misfortune.

Typical terms for open heifers at purebred sales is that they are guaranteed breeders unless they are shown. Harder to get overfed show heifers to settle. Usually there is a time limit to notify the seller if you cannot get an open heifer bred. Then the heifer must be returned to the seller at the new owner's expense and the seller has a time period (maybe 6 months) to get her bred to a bull at his place. If he gets her bred, then you pick up your bred heifer. If he cannot get her bred, he refunds the purchase price or gives a credit for that amount for use in a future sale. He ships the heifer to slaughter and keeps that money. Again those are typical terms for a purebred sale. But, if there are no terms mentioned or announced at the sale, then it is assumed that there is no guarantee. Then you may be able to work some deal with the seller if the two parties can agree on a settlement. Some sellers will be quick to offer some assistance and some will be hard of hearing. Probably should expect less or no assistance on commercial cattle than purebred ones if there were no announced guarantees. Even if there were terms and conditions stated, some breeders are slow or resistant to comply.

Here are suggested terms and conditions from the simmental association. But only applies if published or announced that cattle sell under the suggested terms.

Purebred sales typically have "terms and conditions" that are published in the catalog. Typically bred heifers have been confirmed bred by a vet. Then they are hauled after the sale (maybe hundreds of miles with other cattle) and can be stressed and challenged with exposure to sick cattle and all sorts of weather changes and things. Generally, the buyer is the new owner as soon as the bred heifer leaves the ring and is responsible for whatever happens. I have purchased bred heifers before and sometimes have one abort. Who should be responsible when the animal is confirmed bred prior to the sale and then aborts later at the new owner's place? I did mention that the heifer aborted and the seller indicated a willingness to make some adjustment, but seems to me that he sold a bred heifer, then I owned her. I did not see that he had any responsibility for my misfortune.

Typical terms for open heifers at purebred sales is that they are guaranteed breeders unless they are shown. Harder to get overfed show heifers to settle. Usually there is a time limit to notify the seller if you cannot get an open heifer bred. Then the heifer must be returned to the seller at the new owner's expense and the seller has a time period (maybe 6 months) to get her bred to a bull at his place. If he gets her bred, then you pick up your bred heifer. If he cannot get her bred, he refunds the purchase price or gives a credit for that amount for use in a future sale. He ships the heifer to slaughter and keeps that money. Again those are typical terms for a purebred sale. But, if there are no terms mentioned or announced at the sale, then it is assumed that there is no guarantee. Then you may be able to work some deal with the seller if the two parties can agree on a settlement. Some sellers will be quick to offer some assistance and some will be hard of hearing. Probably should expect less or no assistance on commercial cattle than purebred ones if there were no announced guarantees. Even if there were terms and conditions stated, some breeders are slow or resistant to comply.

Here are suggested terms and conditions from the simmental association. But only applies if published or announced that cattle sell under the suggested terms.

Thanks for the reply. They called me today to get all the information.
I asked them to let me know if they do or do not offer anything in this type of situation. They will be getting back with me.

It has been two full weeks since I gave them the information and have not been called me back. I will chalk it up as a lesson learned and never do business with them again. One positive is the open registered I purchased had a pretty good looking bull calf.
Is it against the rules to post the name of the breeder/seller?

If they were confirmed bred by vet at purchase, then do they really have a responsibility? Cows/heifers lose calves, so if they offer you something, I feel like they are being generous.

If I follow correctly, of the four there is only one that hasn't calved, and she had been confirmed bred by the vet. I can't see where they owe anything, and certainly no reason to start any mud slinging by posting their name on the internet.

Latest posts