Breeding Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

branguscowgirl":1fepwlh2 said:
Don McCallum":1fepwlh2 said:
The key word "may"! I still have the $1000 or more.
All I am pointing out Don, is what good is a dink heifer (then latter a dink cow) to you if she doesn't grow right? All for just $1000 calf?
If you grow her out right to begin with, she's going to make a better cow and produce better calves that make up for that one calf you missed. I think your dollars ahead if he is planning on keeping her. If he's not going to keep her, yes go ahead and stunt her growth and risk having birthing problems and raise some dink calves. It is all in what your long term goals are for her :D
I figured his goal was to keep her based on his post. In that case quality of her and her calf matters to him.

I like this response. This seemed like a no brainer from yalls standpoint and I will definatley take the advice and hold her back. Do you focus more on size than age? For instance if you had a 12 month 800pound heifer would you go ahead and breed her? Or wait till she is 15 months? And what should my target weight be on these females?

cloud9 you have several things to consider on heifers that you want to retain. #1 Age, as close to 15 mos. of age that is convenient to your calving schedule. Give or take a couple months on a 800ld. heifer won't be too bad if the others are in-line for that time. (You want the long bones to finish growing if possible. It will help preserve the longevity and soundness of your female.)
#2 weight and size. Obviously this is affected by genetics, nutrition, and overall health of the animal. If her mother is a smaller framed cow, the heifer may not get all that much bigger by spring. But give her the time and the proper nutrition to grow and then you will know for sure. If she only makes 700lds. I would still breed her with the others.
It is good to have a "target weight and age" but as stated above, there are always going to be other things to consider.

branguscowgirl":nt6deil0 said:
cloud9 you have several things to consider on heifers that you want to retain. #1 Age, as close to 15 mos. of age that is convenient to your calving schedule. Give or take a couple months on a 800ld. heifer won't be too bad if the others are in-line for that time. (You want the long bones to finish growing if possible. It will help preserve the longevity and soundness of your female.)
#2 weight and size. Obviously this is affected by genetics, nutrition, and overall health of the animal. If her mother is a smaller framed cow, the heifer may not get all that much bigger by spring. But give her the time and the proper nutrition to grow and then you will know for sure. If she only makes 700lds. I would still breed her with the others.
It is good to have a "target weight and age" but as stated above, there are always going to be other things to consider.

Makes Sense! Thank You For The Explination. Just got 2 inches at our place today grass should stay green another month.

TexasBred":8637nqhv said:
cloud9cattle":8637nqhv said:
I would never breed the young ones that early. We have always planned to breed those in the spring. The new one however is throwing for a loop. I know shes big enough to handle it. Her mom was only about 1100 pounds smaller framed cow but very deep and soggy made. Im tempted to breed the bigger one
Sounds like your mind was made up before you asked....I'd still wait. But she's your problem.

Exactly what I was thinking TB- That being said 2 weeks ago I was involved with my friends heifer that he bred too early to a wehrmann angus bull he lost the calf and the heifer if he had waited 5 months longer she would probably be alive today. I wait 15 months before breeding a heifer.

skyhightree1":9m0ftbxm said:
TexasBred":9m0ftbxm said:
cloud9cattle":9m0ftbxm said:
I would never breed the young ones that early. We have always planned to breed those in the spring. The new one however is throwing for a loop. I know shes big enough to handle it. Her mom was only about 1100 pounds smaller framed cow but very deep and soggy made. Im tempted to breed the bigger one
Sounds like your mind was made up before you asked....I'd still wait. But she's your problem.

Exactly what I was thinking TB- That being said 2 weeks ago I was involved with my friends heifer that he bred too early to a wehrmann angus bull he lost the calf and the heifer if he had waited 5 months longer she would probably be alive today. I wait 15 months before breeding a heifer.

Just for the record my mind wasnt made up. Hence why i asked... With that being said I feel brangus cowgirls response was the response i was looking for. justification as to why i should hold her back. No pun intended but theres no need for snarky remarks. This board is used to provide education. If you cant bring anything of value to a post then why post it?

cloud9cattle":2mqz1n60 said:
[ This board is used to provide education. If you cant bring anything of value to a post then why post it?

It can be to provide education and chat... That being said if you don't want something commented on don't post it as many others have said in various forums. If you post it you open it up to various comments good and bad thats just the way it is. Welcome to C.T. and enjoy it. :tiphat:

Latest posts