Breeding bull to daughters

Help Support CattleToday:

Here. Resulting calves been either really good, or pretty poor. You can tell real fast if it didn't work out. Lol.

I think siblings would be the better option IMO. Less concentration of one side.

Isn't that how the best horses have came to be?

I don't see how there is any question of morality involved. They are animals. They don't recognize morality although I have heard that animals do avoid breeding with other animals that have similar pheromones.

But the problem with inbreeding and line breeding is when you get a pyramid of top bulls that breed a really large percentage of the purebred cows in the country, and all those bulls over time and generations become related. And then those bulls, a step down lower on the pyramid are producing almost all of the commercial bulls in the country. We have something like thirty million beef cattle in the United States. At one time a bull bred thirty or forty cows and that was it. We started to save the best bulls from the best bulls, artificially reducing the genetic diversity by selecting for the traits we wanted. But there were still a lot of different bulls with not a lot of genetic similarity. Then we started to use artificial insemination and the top of the pyramid got a lot smaller. And now we are flushing top cows and doing in vitro, getting many more calves from the same genetic pool from the female side.

I would bet that the amount of genetic diversity in cattle today is 20% or less of what it was before A.I. and getting less every year. Fairly recently we've had some widespread genetic issues and had to do a lot of genetic testing to minimize the damage done. But there are still animals out there, a fair number, that never got tested. And some of the issues are not officially recognized because if an animal will breed and the calves make it to slaughter age the issues aren't even noticed.

We think in terms of our own timeline. The slowly creeping differences are often measured in decades, and sometimes in centuries. By the time we notice something we have forgotten what came before... and we are generally reluctant to take responsibility for what happens. Even to the point of changing our own views of what is desirable to accommodate the new form. That goes for a lot more than the changes in cattle.
Angus genetic study More than you likely want to know but it ties in IBC with pedigree, genomics and something else that escapes my brain without going back up in the study. I will do that later. But it is an interesting study if you work off of facts. What is most interesting to me in the traits that are noted as issues of inbreeding depression/regression - the traits that are of concern are many of the traits included in the $M index. Then the fad is to look at both $M and $C and those two cover all of the researched (this paper) depressed traits! So, maybe there is a reason to chase those indices to the tops of the charts!

The recent mutations in Angus, in my opinion, were extremely bad because the initial users and maybe the promoters of the sires did not note or tell of the defects early on. To me, that would have been the right thing to do. We had Angus in the 60's and occasionally a dwarf was born. You reported it and that was that... if you were honest! :sneaky:

The unspoken of inbreeding is the issue of prepotency of an individual in a population and how it effects inbreeding depression. And there is the Bulmer effect that has another angle on inbreeding issues if you study that.

I've done it - and would do it again. In a commercial herd, I'm of the opinion that, if you like the bull and what he brings to the table, why not extend his useful life by using him for more than 2-3 years, AND concentrate those desirable traits in his offspring. Nobody buying a stocker/feeder calf ever asks about pedigree... just breed (or the appearance of a certain breed.).
Of course, as others have stated - this works so long as there are no recessive genetic defects in the gene pool.

I have had experience with my very own personal Angus recessive genetic defect.
We purchased a yearling bull and used him for 2 years, then started using AI. The old bull was gentle, his daughters were great, steers were decent, so we kept him as a cleanup bull... until he was 10. He was pedigree-free of any of the genetic defects known at the time. However, it turns out that he was the 'founder' for the Sodium Channel Neuropathy defect, and over half of his daughters ended up being SCN carriers (makes me wonder if the SCN heterozygotes translated into something phenotypically that favored being selected to keep as a replacement heifer), so on the occasions that he bred one of these daughters (and a few granddaughters), a percentage of calves born were unsurvivable (unable to stand or nurse). Kept a SimAngus son and used him one year as a cleanup & heifer bull after the old bull went to town - and - wouldn't you know - he was a SCN carrier and sired defective calves out of daughters, granddaughters, and one great-granddaughter of his sire.
Still had a lot of those SCN carrier cows in the herd when we sold out, but had no more defective calves after we purchased a new natural service sire (Simmental), or from any of the AI sires (Angus, Simmental, Shorthorn, Braunvieh) that we used.

I've done it - and would do it again.
... over half of his daughters ended up being SCN carriers (makes me wonder if the SCN heterozygotes translated into something phenotypically that favored being selected to keep as a replacement heifer),
Kind of surprised you would do it again considering the results. Especially as it is so easy to avoid that scenario.

But your observation about SCN carriers possibly having a relation to selection preferences is pretty astute. That's an interesting idea.

Getting back to the OP's original question. I am not sure why it makes sense for a person with a single breeding group to keep their own heifers. At weaning time, a short bred cow that will give you a calf to sell next year isn't worth much more than a heifer calf. Once you factor in the expense of getting a heifer calved out, it makes a lot more sense just to buy cows in.

Getting back to the OP's original question. I am not sure why it makes sense for a person with a single breeding group to keep their own heifers. At weaning time, a short bred cow that will give you a calf to sell next year isn't worth much more than a heifer calf. Once you factor in the expense of getting a heifer calved out, it makes a lot more sense just to buy cows in.
Some people believe that keeping replacements out of cows that have performed well for them in their environment and management style will result in cows that outperform those that are purchased from outside sources. They like to think that they have long term goals that either improve or maintain the genetics that fit their situation. Some people have anxiety about color and discounts. Some have anxiety about bringing in outside cattle that will upset the progress they have already made. I am in the group that thinks that way.

Regardless of method, the goal should be continuous improvement, I think.

ROFLMAO! Well, if you ever imparted any info that was even remotely true or accurate, I might listen to it. I guess everyone of us, from Gregor Mendel on, ,have it wrong. You might ought to study again the effects of dominant genes vs recessive genes. IF the genes that carry these defects on these Long Horns WERE dominant, Hoss, then EVERY LH would be 3 ' tall with an underbite.
Yes someone probably better go back to learning and get learned up on genetics hoss. Best look at accumulative traits and how they function. Also inhibiting genes. Co dominant genetics, then modifying genes. Also might want to check out traits that are influenced by multiple genes. Then the fact that genes don't independently short. And often multiple genes sort as a group and not independently of each other.And then might be interesting to look into epigenetics hoss .
Y'all might be in fo a shock once you understand that genetics isn't simply recessive and dominant.

To go back to the original post,
I'd like thoughts and experiences from breeding a bull directly to his offspring heifers. I know it's frowned upon but I also know several people who do it. I'd like to grow my herd without buying more cows. Also really happy with my bull right now and would like to continue with him.

Any offspring from the father/daughter would be sold. Heifers only kept from my current unrelated stock.

It sounds like Pineywoods230 is in the process of trying to grow his herd with what he has. He likes his bull and what he is throwing. Maybe Pineywoods230 can't afford the high prices for replacement heifers/cows right now. Maybe he has plenty of grass to grow his home bred heifers on. His question is "Would it be bad to breed his current bull to that bull's daughters?"

I see no reason he can't breed his bull to the daughters and then replace the bull. He can replace his bull before breeding to those daughters. In the meantime, he will have added more heifers to his herd. If problems show up, sell the father/daughter heifers.

To go back to the original post,

It sounds like Pineywoods230 is in the process of trying to grow his herd with what he has. He likes his bull and what he is throwing. Maybe Pineywoods230 can't afford the high prices for replacement heifers/cows right now. Maybe he has plenty of grass to grow his home bred heifers on. His question is "Would it be bad to breed his current bull to that bull's daughters?"

I see no reason he can't breed his bull to the daughters and then replace the bull. He can replace his bull before breeding to those daughters. In the meantime, he will have added more heifers to his herd. If problems show up, sell the father/daughter heifers.
Or sell ten heifers and buy five unrelated better ones, and put some cash in his pocket without taking chances on inbreeding problems.

Mostly related to the fact I like my brangus/hereford calves and they are extremely hard to find around me without paying a steep premium. Though I would gladly buy more decent brangus bred cows for the right price.

For good or bad, I did this, this year. I didn't keep any heifers the last couple of years, and I tightened up my breeding window & used that as my cull criteria to cut my herd size. This spring, I looked at the 5 yearling heifers & decided my current bull threw the kind that I want to keep. Covid threw a wrench in my plans to just buy an Angus to put on the heifers & keep my herdsire one more year, this is his 3rd spring breeding. I turned him in with his 5 daughters. I'll probably do that next spring, too, as long as his calves out of these 5 daughters have no genetic issues at birth.
My primary forage is fescue, and when I find the Hereford genetics that perform well on that grass, I like to propagate them.

There are people on here that think that because a cow is at a sale that it is junk....a cull. They think they raise replacements that are better than anyone else's that they could buy. I guess, according to them, IF something happened and they had to take their -best-in-the-world heifers to a sale, that those heifers would somehow immediately become diseased-ridden junk. I know of several operations that all they do is raise replacement heifers. If the ones they raise and sell weren't of superior quality, then they would not be in business for long. I have always said, and will still say, that if you gave me the money that it costs you to raise a heifer from birth to when her first calf is weaned ( about 2 and a half years) and add to that amount, the price the heifer would have brought if you had sold it at weaning, then I can buy a heavy bred cow that is better than any heifer you have raised, for less money, that will give you a calf to sell in a few months, instead of 2 and 1/2 years.

Last edited:
There are people on here that think that because a cow is at a sale that it is junk....a cull. They think they raise replacements that are better than anyone else's that they could buy. I guess, according to them, IF something happened and they had to take their -best-in-the-world heifers to a sale, that those heifers would somehow immediately become diseased-ridden junk. I know of several operations that all they do is raise replacement heifers. If the ones they raise and sell weren't of superior quality, then they would not be in business for long. I have always said, and will still say, that if you gave me the money that it costs you to raise a heifer from birth to when her first calf is weaned ( about 2 and a half years) and add to that amount, the price the heifer would have brought if you had sold it at weaning, then I can buy a heavy bred cow that is better than any heifer you have raised, for less money, that will give yo a calf to sell in a few months, instead of 2 and 1/2 years.
That's how I've grown in the past, which is definitely a faster turn around but my cost to keep heifers doesn't cost me much of anything honestly minus whatever the cost I could sell the heifer at the sale barn. If I was buying heifers it definitely doesn't make sense vs buying a bred cow

That's how I've grown in the past, which is definitely a faster turn around but my cost to keep heifers doesn't cost me much of anything honestly minus whatever the cost I could sell the heifer at the sale barn. If I was buying heifers it definitely doesn't make sense vs buying a bred cow
Yes, but even if you didn't spend a thing on raising it, had year-round grass etc. You are looking at raising it to, say, 16 mos old, it having a calf 9 mos later at 25 months old, then selling its 1st calf in 6 mos. 31 mos before you get any money out of her. Or sell her at 6 mos old, buy a 7 month bred cow, and in 8 mos you have a calf to sell. Breed her back when that calf is 3 mos old and in 15 more months, you have another calf to sell. Two calves in 20 months vs 31 mos for that retained heifer to wean her 1st calf. Myself, I hate calving our heifers or foaling fillies. Much rather fool with an older cow or broodmare.

There are people on here that think that because a cow is at a sale that it is junk....a cull. They think they raise replacements that are better than anyone else's that they could buy. I guess, according to them, IF something happened and they had to take their -best-in-the-world heifers to a sale, that those heifers would somehow immediately become diseased-ridden junk. I know of several operations that all they do is raise replacement heifers. If the ones they raise and sell weren't of superior quality, then they would not be in business for long. I have always said, and will still say, that if you gave me the money that it costs you to raise a heifer from birth to when her first calf is weaned ( about 2 and a half years) and add to that amount, the price the heifer would have brought if you had sold it at weaning, then I can buy a heavy bred cow that is better than any heifer you have raised, for less money, that will give you a calf to sell in a few months, instead of 2 and 1/2 years.
That's nonsense.

That's nonsense.
Actually, it is called mathematics. And no matter how good you think something is, there is ALWAYS something out there better. Many a horse was born and died, that could have blown Secretariat off the track. Many a dude out there that could whup Mike Tyson like a yard dog, and make him cry. And no matter how excellent you think your raised heifers are...and they very well may be... there are always some out there that you can buy that are cheaper and better. What is nonsense, is those on here that say the best, or only, way to get a quality herd, is to raise your own. And that say you can't buy great cattle at a sale.

Actually, it is called mathematics. And no matter how good you think something is, there is ALWAYS something out there better. Many a horse was born and died, that could have blown Secretariat off the track. Many a dude out there that could whup Mike Tyson like a yard dog, and make him cry. And no matter how excellent you think your raised heifers are...and they very well may be... there are always some out there that you can buy that are cheaper and better. What is nonsense, is those on here that say the best, or only, way to get a quality herd, is to raise your own. And that say you can't buy great cattle at a sale.
You will never understand because you are a car salesman. It has nothing to do with "the best". It has to do with what works for your operation. If you were actually a cow guy you would understand that. You use to admit that yourself.

I still remember when you came on this board. I'm not sure when you gave yourself a promotion but as long as you still think an old Beefmaster cow with horns has LH in it... you are still a worm. Stay in your lane.

Last edited:
Many a horse was born and died, that could have blown Secretariat off the track. Many a dude out there that could whup Mike Tyson like a yard dog, and make him cry.

You can say that... but you can't prove it.

But I agree with your larger point that there are plenty of good animals that go through the sale barn and can be had cheaper than raising replacement heifers... and that from me, a guy that raised and sold replacement heifers for a profit. It's crazy how people will pay big dollars for bred heifers and won't buy cows for a third the price and will sell for the same price after raising a couple or more calves.

Latest posts