Breeding Boar goats

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
My wife bought 8 does and a expensive buck, and now it's time to breed them. She feels that she can expose two does at a time to the buck for a period of about two weeks and get them all bred. I'm trying to tell her nicely she is wrong. It's causing problems, am I wrong? can you get goats settled in 2 weeks? I will admit I am familiar with cattle and horses but not goats.

Alan

The Boer breeders around here don;t run the bucks withthe does at all. The check the does for heat and take the doe to the buck. But since their cycle is longer then 14 days, the odds of them getting bred in that 2 week window is a bit iffy.

The homsteading board has a goat section
http://homesteadingtoday.com/

dun

Most of the breeder around here, and there are alot, have seperate pastures and run the billy with the does just about year round. I wuold take the doe to the billy if hand breeding.

Yes Alan you have reason to be concerned, odds are you will have less kids over a longer time.

Alan":1bi277yc said:
My wife bought 8 does and a expensive buck, and now it's time to breed them. She feels that she can expose two does at a time to the buck for a period of about two weeks and get them all bred. I'm trying to tell her nicely she is wrong. It's causing problems, am I wrong? can you get goats settled in 2 weeks? I will admit I am familiar with cattle and horses but not goats.

Alan
If it is causing problems the best thing you can do is leave it be. Some times it works best for your marriage to let her learn for herself. If it works out for her great if it doesn't you may want to suggest putting the does in longer again, but don't say "I told you so". I am more than willing to sacrifice 8 does and 1 expensive buck for a good marriage.

My wife is a good woman that treats me like a good man but is good at coming up with projects for us. I always tell her to think about what it will require and the possible problems that could arise then multiply by 10. If it something that I don't think is feasible but she insist on I tell her to go ahead. I always help her and most times it becomes more than she was wanting to do and it goes away. Sometimes she surprises me and I'm sure to let her know what a good job she did.

Tod Dague":1rl2v7qs said:
Alan":1rl2v7qs said:

Alan
If it is causing problems the best thing you can do is leave it be. Some times it works best for your marriage to let her learn for herself. If it works out for her great if it doesn't you may want to suggest putting the does in longer again, but don't say "I told you so". I am more than willing to sacrifice 8 does and 1 expensive buck for a good marriage.

My wife is a good woman that treats me like a good man but is good at coming up with projects for us. I always tell her to think about what it will require and the possible problems that could arise then multiply by 10. If it something that I don't think is feasible but she insist on I tell her to go ahead. I always help her and most times it becomes more than she was wanting to do and it goes away. Sometimes she surprises me and I'm sure to let her know what a good job she did.

I just read my original post and it reads like a Dear Ann letter :( . I wish I would have kept my mouth shut Sunday morning, I made for an unpleasant day. I'm 47.... when will I ever learn?

Her goats are too fat to settle anyway, I need to shut up and let her learn... they're her goats.

Alan.... eating humble pie :(

Sorry to hear your concerne caused a problem. We always ran the bucks with the does all of the time. In africa we would get 3 kiddings in two years, in England, they only kidded once a year, usually in April/ May.

andybob":29c7x15y said:
Sorry to hear your concerne caused a problem. We always ran the bucks with the does all of the time. In africa we would get 3 kiddings in two years, in England, they only kidded once a year, usually in April/ May.
For meat goats I don;t understand not running them with the does all year long. When I asked the people around here they just kind of got that "deer in the headlights" look. Even the guy that runs a couple of hundred head doesn;t run them together.

dun

dun":13m5l1qa said:
andybob":13m5l1qa said:
For meat goats I don;t understand not running them with the does all year long. When I asked the people around here they just kind of got that "deer in the headlights" look. Even the guy that runs a couple of hundred head doesn;t run them together.

dun
I run the buck w/ my does all the time. His job is to breed the stupid creatures, not to sit around and be waited on hand and foot

Cowgirl,

You're my new hero, for using the words "stupid creatures" and expressing that he should not be waited on hand and foot. :D

Alan

Latest posts