breeding age of heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

onecarl2002

Reaction score
I have some angus heifers that I am going to AI. At what age do you guys breed your heifers.

Just to throw something else in the pot. We also do Repro Tract Scoring (RTS) at yearling. Anything under 142 for pelvic gets sold as a feeder. I started to think it was a waste of time to do it until last spring. Granny's daughters have all been over 147 (she's only had 3 total) until her last heifer. She only had a 130 pelvic, she's grown out just fine but that pelvic is WAY too small.

dun,
I thought that typically the RTS score was a value of 1-5.? I think its a good tool to use, but not one that is common,. Earlier calving heifers, will be better producers, and more likely to wean a bigger calf.

Limomike":3fhdf0n6 said:
dun,
I thought that typically the RTS score was a value of 1-5.? I think its a good tool to use, but not one that is common,. Earlier calving heifers, will be better producers, and more likely to wean a bigger calf.
The actual RTS is based on the condition/size of the ovarys, if she is cycling or not i.e. has a CL, and the tone of the uterus/vagina. That is the actual RTS. The pelvic is separate but is part of wether or not she'll make a good cow. The pelvic indicates the size calf she can have without assictance, the RTS indicates her repro her likely fertility.
1> is immature
2> small follicles
3> slightly larger follicles
4> good sized follicles
5> presence of a CL
The tone of the uterus enters into them too.
We have one heifer that had poor uterine tone but had a CL. We AIed her the middle of may and it looks like she settled
The one that's heading down the road was a RTS 5 but too small of a pelvic for my taste.

Latest posts