Breeding a cow back

Help Support CattleToday:

shutskytj

Reaction score
Ok I have this cow in a sale on the first weekend in May she just calved March 16th I know she will bring more money if she is bred back she is starting to come into heat now how many of you bred cows back this quickly after calving

Some do. Esp if they are running bulls year round.

Only flaw I see in the plan is that even if she does settle this time, she won't be far enough along by the day of the sale to confirm pregnancy by any means. It's the 20th today. Sale the first weekend of May? that'd be the 6th. 16 days from now - and a normal cycle is 21 days.

The most you could do is sell her as "exposed" or else wait for a different sale if you're certain you want to sell her bred.

A three in one package is a major plus but if she isn't guaranteed to be bred some buyers may hold back or she may be treated as if she isn't bred. Also many buyers may look at her calving date (if bred) and if she doesn't fit with their herd may not be interested. Bred now she will calve around Jan 27th. Does your weather allow for or do potential area buyers calve that early? Something to think about...

Yeah Jan around here is OK to calve maybe not more northern Nwe England. But Jan. calves are popular because you can show them twice without the mother. I know she won't be confirmed but to say you breed her still helps with the pricing I can't make up my mind

Latest posts