Breed suitable for southeast Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

The owner of the land currently has it leased to another individual. He said he ran almost one animal per acre. I believe there is other grass growing with the st Augustine, but the SA is the predominant grass. I still have over a year to plan out my strategy, the current lease ends Dec 2011. The owner of the land told me that instead of me paying him outright for the lease, I could split the money I get from selling the cattle. Not sure if that would be a good deal or not.

Thinbluelinetx":2t2ct8il said:
The owner of the land currently has it leased to another individual. He said he ran almost one animal per acre. I believe there is other grass growing with the st Augustine, but the SA is the predominant grass. I still have over a year to plan out my strategy, the current lease ends Dec 2011. The owner of the land told me that instead of me paying him outright for the lease, I could split the money I get from selling the cattle. Not sure if that would be a good deal or not.
that depends on how much a 1 year lease is.

Thinbluelinetx":2a42mujv said:
The owner of the land told me that instead of me paying him outright for the lease, I could split the money I get from selling the cattle. Not sure if that would be a good deal or not.

Not a good deal in my opinion!!!! If you have 8 head and make a profit of $200 a head.... He gets $800... In central Texas we lease land for $10 - $15 an acre... So, you would be better off leasing the land, if you leased it for the going rate per acre... I haven't leased anything that small before so, I don't know if he would lease it for that little of money or not...

bishopcattleco":2vmy4pli said:
deenranch":2vmy4pli said:
Anything with ear does great down there... We sell quite a few charolais bulls to people down there... They cross up well with the eared cattle...
no they aint gotta be brahman,, if you dont care to put animal through pure torture :cowboy:[/quote][/quote]These guys know what they are talking about .Brahmanx with char bulls =heavy calves.Thats the route i would go.[/quote]
Ah heck, they do know something about what runs good in there area, and it aint just brammers.

If it's St Augustine, I believe I would rent me a sod cutter and sell the grass. At a cow per acre, it would take 30 years to make what the sod would sell for.

upfrombottom":1ub60pnm said:
If it's St Augustine, I believe I would rent me a sod cutter and sell the grass. At a cow per acre, it would take 30 years to make what the sod would sell for.
Or sell plugs.

Latest posts