Brangus X Hereford Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

K&S Cattle

Reaction score
Hey Cattlemen and Cattle women, I am new to cattle today and have a question for yall. I just bought some Registered Brangus that are bred to Reg. Hereford bulls, and was wondering if there is any market for the bull calves to be used as herd sires? I am going to sell the heifer calves as replacement heifers, but didnt know whether to cut the bull calves or not. I am going to raise one bull calf to put on our crossbred commercial herd just to see and because the come form good genetics.

Thanks,

KMM

:welcome:
I would band them at birth. Too many males are left "bulls" and do not deserve to be. So much easier to sell/finish out a steer. Do you have the facilities to keep a 8 month old bull away from your 8 month old heifers?

Sounds like you got a good start...don't keep any of the Bulls/steers..even the one for your personal use...and your gonna want to keep the best heifers...unless you are-just dead set on It...

The plan is to raise really good Black Baldie heifers to sale. I was fortunate enough to buy some Town Creek bloodline Brangus cows and heifers bred to Whitehawk Beefmaker Hereford bulls for a good price. I plan on going back with a Hereford bull, but was curious of what to do with bull calves. I guess I'll cut them and ship them to the sale barn, I figure they should bring decent money. If they wean what the guy I bought them from calves wean, they should wean in the 550-650 lb range.

I use that cross myself, though on a small scale. I agree with the others about cutting or banding the bull calves, and yes, they should do well at the auction barn. Mine do. Where are you located?

K&S Cattle":1fc4o59n said:
Hey Cattlemen and Cattle women, I am new to cattle today and have a question for yall. I just bought some Registered Brangus that are bred to Reg. Hereford bulls, and was wondering if there is any market for the bull calves to be used as herd sires? I am going to sell the heifer calves as replacement heifers, but didnt know whether to cut the bull calves or not. I am going to raise one bull calf to put on our crossbred commercial herd just to see and because the come form good genetics.

Thanks,

KMM

The bull calves are good hamburger
The heifers are excellent replacements.
Here's one they make good cows.
Bought this from a FFA sale on commercial females. She is halter broke little girl about 12 showed her.
I paid way to much for her.

Muddy":2sljnjzu said:
What's the reason why to not use a Brangus x Hereford bull?
Why Would you want too?? that's what the crossbred cows are for..neither one can reproduce theirselves. But with the cow you can get all the benefits of heterosis...it don't get tied up...

We had a year when we left bull calves intact. Management issues. Or lack of! Anyway, when they got older and a cow came in heat it was totally dangerous. They all went nuts.

kickinbull":d7rhcumj said:
We had a year when we left bull calves intact. Management issues. Or lack of! Anyway, when they got older and a cow came in heat it was totally dangerous. They all went nuts.
it makes it more aggravating for the herd bull then anything..constantly having to knock the little perverts out of the way... And worrying the crap out of the cow...wears her down. """Don't know for sure"" but it could cause them not to settle at times..

Muddy":298llwd0 said:
What's the reason why to not use a Brangus x Hereford bull?
To quote Caustic "Too many crayons in the box". Use a purebred bull on crossbred cows.

The females out of this cross make super cows and have countless breeding opportunities.

Purebred bull on crossbred cows = acceptable
Crossbred bull on purebred cows = unacceptable

Got it.

Even if you were to market them and some one would buy them it would not be profitable to hold them any where close to breeding age. The market will not pay you what you will have in them.

I usually end up selling the bulls off first by just watching the market and their size. A lot of times a #500 bull will bring you the same as a #600+. At that point I bounce them. I leave the heifers out with the cows the longest. That gives me a chance to watch the heifers develope so I can see what I'm going to keep, what I'm going to sell PT, and what is going to go to the auction. The heifers tend to sell better for me if they are #600+.

Your bulls will bring good money at the auction. It will be the easiest money you make. Selling to the public can be a real PIA. The $$$ have to really be worth it for me to hastle with it.

Brute 23":2wi0h55g said:
Even if you were to market them and some one would buy them it would not be profitable to hold them any where close to breeding age. The market will not pay you what you will have in them.

I usually end up selling the bulls off first by just watching the market and their size. A lot of times a #500 bull will bring you the same as a #600+. At that point I bounce them. I leave the heifers out with the cows the longest. That gives me a chance to watch the heifers develope so I can see what I'm going to keep, what I'm going to sell PT, and what is going to go to the auction. The heifers tend to sell better for me if they are #600+.

Your bulls will bring good money at the auction. It will be the easiest money you make. Selling to the public can be a real PIA. The $$$ have to really be worth it for me to hastle with it.

Perfectly said.
Bulls like this will sale.
Not just as calves. but as bulls at a south,west or Central Texas bull sale. And they will be bought by people who know what the he// they are doing.

They just won't bring what the overpriced purebreds will bring.

Thanks for all the replies, looks like I will cut those lil boys and send them off to make some fine hamburger and ribeyes! In 7-9 months I will have some fine heifers for sale if anyone is interested,lol....

As a breeder - whether a purebred or commercial - if you are going to sell breeding stock, you need to backup your sales for your reputation, if you plan any future private treaty sales.
If you sell a female, and she never breeds, you are not obligated as a commercial breeder to guarantee her a breeder, but if you ever want to sell to that guy or anyone else he knows, you will work something out with the buyer.
When you sell a bull - major responsibility. That can represent the buyer's whole calf crop. I sell very few bulls. My reputation is EVERYTHING.

K&S Cattle":3uhh4e0q said:
Thanks for all the replies, looks like I will cut those lil boys and send them off to make some fine hamburger and ribeyes! In 7-9 months I will have some fine heifers for sale if anyone is interested,lol....

You shouldn't have any problems finding someone that wants them. Where are you located?

Latest posts