Brangus bull on Charalais

Help Support CattleToday:

Lots of food for thought here. I should've stated I only have 50% interest in the Charolais cows--if they were mine 100%, they would have already been gone. It's not a terribly bad little bunch of cows, and they calve fine and mother fine, all polled, extremely gentle, in pretty good health--they're just not ever going to improve without something new being brought in. The bull never misses one, and he's a big bull, but not near big enough in the hindquarters, and we sell about 1/2-3/4 of the calves every year, and get the usual shellacking at the barn compared to good brangus and beefmasters, which are the most common breeds in this county. The owner of the other 50% isn't really intersted in improvement other than putting a brangus bull on them, and he doesn't have the $ for a really good one.

I've thought about it all day, and I have decided to just wash my hands of those white cows and this partnership altogether. I have very little $$ tied up in them, mostly just supplying the land, improved the pasture, labor, 1/2 the hay, and all the fencing for the last 4 years. I'm done with it and done tryin to talk to him. :deadhorse: Partner can move the Chars over on my brother/sis's place so they can keep their ag exemption. I hate to do it to him, but I just can't do it this way anymore.

I'm not a "cowman" & never will be. I'm just a man that has 'em in my blood, have owned cows off and on since I was 16, & I'll always have cows, may never make another dime on 'em but I want at least to have GOOD cows.

So--I'm going to Brenham to look at beefmaster bulls and start looking for beefmaster heifers. Thanks for the insight and comments.
(The kids better get used to having cows for an inheritance.)

Don't sound like there is any thing wrong with the cows. Sounds like they are doing there job. Just need more bull power. Never seen a beefmaster calf sell as high as a brangus calf or a Char X calf for that matter. But i am in a different part of the country.

Well if you are going to Brenham, slide on over to Giddings and see Tim Smith at Smith Genetics. Very nice Simbrah and Simmental cattle. He also has a sale at the end of this month.

Latest posts