Branding:

Help Support CattleToday:

Kramer

Reaction score
Question regarding branding cattle; i.e. adult cattle and calves.

I have never actually branded a cow or calf. However, I do want all of my cattle branded, in addition to the numbered ear I.D. tags that I utilize for I.D. and recordkeeping purposes. Presently, my Mother Cows and Bull are branded. There seems to never be an end of cattle being stole and there seems to be even more stealing going on now. Price of beef, I guess. Anyway, I intend to start branding this year with my new crop of calves. Had a Vet previously brand for me, but the results are not too good. I have just purchased what appears to be a very good 110 VAC brander, with my registered cattle brand. It is a two letter (4" tall letters) brand made by RAMM Manufacturing. Tried it out on some wood boards and it seems to really do a good job.

My question is in regards to the actual branding. Branding a wood board vs. the skin of an animal, surely has some differences. Could of some you experienced individuals offer some advice, with regards to the "do's and do nots". Assuming you have the brand hot enough, how long do you hold it on the animal? How much pressure do you apply, if that is relative? Is there a specific coloring you look for of the branded skin to insure a good brand? I will be putting the brand on the left thigh if, it makes a difference in your advice. Etc., etc., etc.

Thanks in advance!

Never used an electric one, on a branding iron want it white hot I apply at the bottom and roll the iron in a upward motion making sure you get full contact. The brand site should look like saddle leather upon removing the iron.

What is your iron? is it registered? It may have hot spots if the results weren't good or your vet sucks

I use a electric brand and really like. it i brand on the left hip most of the time i hit um twice first time to burn the hair off and let the smoke clear.and to burn down to the hide the second time to make the brand. it needs to look like cured leather when complete.

I use an electric brand also. My vet wasn't very good at it either.(messed up some of a buddy's)

I tyr to brand in cool weather if possible. This way flies are not such a big problem. I also trim any excess hair from the brand site, and spray with wd40 after. :cboy:

I use a fire brander, but I just got a freeze brander for horses (same brand) I think I am going to try it out on a cow. The vet that A.I. my cows can do it.

The main thing is to have the animal well restrained. You don't have to press hard, just steady pressure. If the animal starts moving remove the iron until it stops and then reapply in the same spot. Also rock the iron slowly up and down . Take a gloved hand and rub the branded area briskly and you will see if you got a good brand. As Caustic said the brand should be the color of saddle leather. I use a hot iron heated in a fire. I also have an electic brander/ dehorner that I touch up the brand if it has a spot that isn't quite branded enough.If the iron is hot enough, not red-hot it take only a few seconds. If the iron is too hot it will smudge and be unreadable when it heals.

Caustic Burno":j4olqccj said:
Never used an electric one, on a branding iron want it white hot I apply at the bottom and roll the iron in a upward motion making sure you get full contact. The brand site should look like saddle leather upon removing the iron.

Couldn't have said it better. Sort of roll it instead of just planting it flat. Usually takes longer than one would think. Looks like a light tan leather underneath when done right. If the animal struggles and moves, pull away for a second and reapply being careful to position exactly as originally burned. You'll need to clean the gunk off the brand after a while- burnt hair and hide residue builds up.

warpaint, what is with the WD40? do you spray that on the brand site, or the brander?

Spray it on the brand site. Helps keep it from drying out too quickly and helps to heal. Neosporin does the same thing. Just easier to spray wd40.

I branded for a couple of years. Decided to stop branding my show calves. Politics again..Seems if you don't have 1 of about 4 brands in our breed you don't place as high. Cattle moved up a notch or 2 in placings when judge didn't see a brand compared to seeing one that was not one of the select few. I brand after showing before releasing them out to the herd for life.

when i was a kid dad used a paint brush and some type of liniment to brush on the brand. i be gol durn if i know what he was using but i remember him saying it helped them heal and not bleed.
anybody heard of this?

Thanks to all of you that have responded to my inquiry on branding. Some very interesting information and I surely think all of it will be helpful, when I start working the calves. Calves are hitting the ground regularly, right now. Pretty little black babies and all are healthy so far (babies & momma's), looking good! Really do appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience.

when i was a kid dad used a paint brush and some type of liniment to brush on the brand. i be gol durn if i know what he was using but i remember him saying it helped them heal and not bleed. anybody heard of this?

Anyone have any thougths or ideas, regarding Buckroo_bif's question?

Regards,
Kramer
P.S. - How about spraying WD-40 on the area, immediately after applying the brand. I thought that was pretty neat!

agh? i can't remember it was just some kind of liniment dad said it worked great for the blistering so we always used to use it.

We had a hot brand up until this year - I just couldn't stand watching! PUrchased a freeze brand and MUCH prefer it. Shows up tons better on our black cattle, and it doesn't appear anywhere near as painful - just a moments struggle and they stand still. Takes about 30-40 seconds. Shave the site - wipe down w/alcohol and apply brand. The liquid nitrogen keeps the brands clear of gunk.

The TLBAA does not recognize freeze branding. Kind of wish they did. With Longhorns the variations of color doesn't allow the freeze brand to show as clearly, in some cases not at all. ;-)

aplusmnt":2issrdh9 said:
Has anyone used the freeze brander? Pros and cons?

Expensive to get set up with electric clippers, brass irons and large open nitrogen tank. Never could get it to work well. Two or three would be fine 20 or 30 wouldn't take. The two or three would then have hair regrowth in a year or so. Very time comsuming; have to shave the area with surgical heads on your clippers and takes a while for the irons to recool. Sometimes its hard to locate the nitrogen nearby. May have been just me, but the vet couldn't do any better either. Just stopped trying after a couple of years.

Latest posts