Freeze Branding

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Have freeze branded for years using 99% alcohol and dry ice. Have just 2 head that still need freeze branded, and didn't want to use all the 99% alcohol for just 2 head. I was going to try dry ice and gasoline for these.

Couple of questions:
*If using gasoline and dry ice...
1. Do you still spray the hide with 99% alcohol before applying the brand? Or will the brands (soaked in gasoline) interact poorly with 99% alcohol sprayed onto the hide?

2. How long do you hold irons on heifer? They are black and 9 1/2 months old.

FWIW i use methanol all the time, not alcohol. spray the methanol right on them. I dont think mixing the gas and alcohol will hurt anything. I do mine 55 sec but there 18 months. Guess my question would be why not use the alchohol? to expensive but is it worth messing a brand up, just my thoughts

I've seen excellent results at a very high percentage with others that have used gasoline. I've just never used it because we normally freeze brand for 12+ hours a day when we do it. I don't want to smell gasoline for 12 hours. Yes, was hoping to not use the alcohol due to price since I am only branding 2 animals this time.

L&FAngusAcres":dhi3lbgr said:
2. How long do you hold irons on heifer? They are black and 9 1/2 months old.

We kept our irons on this year, for 80 seconds and they are by far the cleanest/clearest/nicest looking freeze brands we've done. When vet was doing them, we held for 55 seconds. Not as nice.

L&FAngusAcres":1qckoppw said:
what liquid did you use NEFarmwife?
The alcohol. I know it is expensive and we haven't tried it ourselves but it seems as though I read on here, that you could let that dry ice evaporate and re-use the alcohol?

I'll take some pics when I get home (if I am not out repairing pasture fence after work) and show you the difference in the 55 seconds and 80 seconds.

NEFarmwife":7blle3wy said:
L&FAngusAcres":7blle3wy said:
The alcohol. I know it is expensive and we haven't tried it ourselves but it seems as though I read on here, that you could let that dry ice evaporate and re-use the alcohol?

I'll take some pics when I get home (if I am not out repairing pasture fence after work) and show you the difference in the 55 seconds and 80 seconds.

We were told the 99% alcohol will absorb moisture from the air, thus NEVER reuse and make sure the lid is sealed on the bottle before you use a gallon. It is no longer 99% once it is opened....

If you only have 2 to do have you thought about using liq nitrogen instead. I would just find it easier to pull a bit from the tank to do the job. It doesn't do as good a job as dry ice but is adequate in my opinion.

Ken

Fire Sweep Ranch":1u7sgy2l said:
NEFarmwife":1u7sgy2l said:
L&FAngusAcres":1u7sgy2l said:

We were told the 99% alcohol will absorb moisture from the air, thus NEVER reuse and make sure the lid is sealed on the bottle before you use a gallon. It is no longer 99% once it is opened....
This is good to know.

Went ahead and used 99% alcohol, like usual. Found a few head of my dad's commercial cows that I went ahead and freeze branded while I was at it.

Latest posts