Branding issue

Help Support CattleToday:

AZAggie

Reaction score
I'm having issues with my cattle moving around too much when branding in the chute. I have a Preifert squeeze chute and electric branding iron. The cows are moving too much in the chute and it is causing the brand to smear. The cows will hunch up forward or drop their rear down (I'm putting the brand on the right hip). Anyone have any suggestions on what has worked for you?

When freeze branding I use a hook made of 1/2 " round steel in their mouth to chew on to take their mind off it. I think it would delay the jump when hot branding also. It is modeled off the "Dr Hook" instrument, if you google that I am sure you would find it.

Ken

It's called patience and perseverance.

Clip first as you can make a better brand by doing so. Unless hair isn't an issue in Oklahoma.
You can't just hit them with the iron and expect them to stand motionless. Be ready to pull back when they move and line things up again until you have a good job done.

First ya get good, then ya get fast........

Personally I prefer not to squeeze the sides in when branding (very old manual chute), as they always seem to get in some terrible inaccessible position, and I'd have to open sides up again. I also learned to give a first touch of just a couple seconds to burn the hair (I don't clip using electric brand either) and establish a nice template. I follow this with a few quick touches until nerves are dead, then they stand just fine.

My first branding attempts were pretty awful. After I stopped trying to do it in a single pass it really came together quickly. Probably takes me 4-5 minutes, but working by myself and keeping them fairly calm is much more enjoyable and easier on my equipment!

gcreekrch":a86icuvt said:
It's called patience and perseverance.

Clip first as you can make a better brand by doing so. Unless hair isn't an issue in Oklahoma.
You can't just hit them with the iron and expect them to stand motionless. Be ready to pull back when they move and line things up again until you have a good job done.

First ya get good, then ya get fast........

This..
Put the iron to em. When they throw a fit pull back until they calm then go back.
Not always but lots of time they'll stand there and take it.

Thanks for the info. I was trying to do it in one shot. That was probably my biggest problem. More patience needed on my part.

If a brand doesn't take fully, what is the best technique to go back in a month later to clean it up?

wbvs58":33ft4oqq said:
When freeze branding I use a hook made of 1/2 " round steel in their mouth to chew on to take their mind off it. I think it would delay the jump when hot branding also. It is modeled off the "Dr Hook" instrument, if you google that I am sure you would find it.

Ken

(laughing face)... have you googled Dr Hook???? I guess it was a popular band. I had to put "cattle" in the query to get a hit on what "dr hook" is.... lol

Fire Sweep Ranch":3w5a84q7 said:
wbvs58":3w5a84q7 said:

Ken

(laughing face)... have you googled Dr Hook???? I guess it was a popular band. I had to put "cattle" in the query to get a hit on what "dr hook" is.... lol

Ha, as long as you found the cattle hook in the end and listened to some music as well.

Ken

Latest posts