Branding:

Help Support CattleToday:

we use heat for ours. my dad modified an older BBQ'er type thingamajiggy and we use a propane torch to heat the branding iron and the dehorner. we like it. almost used to the smell of burning hair, too. :lol:

cowgirl580":gf90vqre said:
we use heat for ours. my dad modified an older BBQ'er type thingamajiggy and we use a propane torch to heat the branding iron and the dehorner. we like it. almost used to the smell of burning hair, too. :lol:

Ah yes nothing like the smell of branding cattle in the morning!

aplusmnt":13ml9xbw said:
Has anyone used the freeze brander? Pros and cons?
I have not freeze branded personally,I know a few people who use it. The time seems to be the chief drawback, as to get a good result the hair must be clipped as closely as possible, the iron is then applied for half a minute to destroy the pigment in the hair follicles, the results look good on dark cattle, and the symbols don't need to be 'broken', as blood circulation is not affected.

warpaint":26z9gh99 said:
The TLBAA does not recognize freeze branding. Kind of wish they did. With Longhorns the variations of color doesn't allow the freeze brand to show as clearly, in some cases not at all. ;-)

The TLBAA told me it was ok to freeze brand.

LonghornRanch":kvh7b91d said:
warpaint":kvh7b91d said:
The TLBAA does not recognize freeze branding. Kind of wish they did. With Longhorns the variations of color doesn't allow the freeze brand to show as clearly, in some cases not at all. ;-)

The TLBAA told me it was ok to freeze brand.

I guess I should get my facts straight before opening my mouth. While the TLBAA will recognize freeze branding it is not recommended, due to reasons stated earlier. :cboy:

In California you can't freeze brand cattle. It has to be a hot Iron or chemical brand. I don't think a freeze brand would show on alot of our Longhorns anyway tho :lol:

I am going to Freeze Brand one of my Longhorns just to see how it works. I have one with a big brown spot on her left hip. I will have to use a electric brander for the herd number. I will take some pictures.

There is a commercially available branding system available in South Africa, which consists of a gas heating pad with digits that clip on to the handle, allowing you to use one set while the others are re- heating. The system produces a good quality brand. I still use the old wood fire and multiple brands hard to break old habits!

Latest posts