~Branding Cattle~

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":16swkvsg said:
GETTING YOUR TEETH KNOCKED OUT ;-)

thanks

Getting hit with a hot iron isn;t a fun experience either. I have this burn scar on my...................

dun

We're required to brand our cattle by the breed association... and it's still the best form of identification. A lot of times you can't get close enough to see the litty bitty tattoo in their ear.

Dave":yd2wcxwv said:
There is nothing like the smell of burning hair and the sound of bawling calves to start the day. You don't take calves to the vet to be aced and branded. Just run them into a corral, build a fire, rope and drag them to the fire. Vaccinate, brand and cut them (safe the nuts). An ice chest full of cool ones and a lot of good food to be shared with good people. Brandings are one of the things that make life worth living. And besides in the fall you can tell which black calf belongs to who.
Dave

Careful - on another thread on this board - this could be considered practicing as a veterinarian - without a license.

:lol: :lol:

Bez!

I still see some pretty tore up cows with brands that take up the whole side of the animal and ear notches to boot...on the same one. Takes a good hand to make a quick brand that doesn't grow over without burning a hole in the calf. Been a long time since I participated in spring branding.
What's the concensus on freeze branding...I've never seen it done but it seems like it would be easier on the animal, more expensive I guess....still cheeper than taking them to the vet.
Dave Mc

Hi I am new here. I have been working on an Angus farm and i have been learning stuff quickly and what i would suggest is freeze branding with liquid nitrogen. it don't hurt the cattle all it dose is kill the hair and skin with no pain it works very well with black cattle

angusman1":6pk2ewef said:
Hi I am new here. I have been working on an Angus farm and i have been learning stuff quickly and what i would suggest is freeze branding with liquid nitrogen. it don't hurt the cattle all it dose is kill the hair and skin with no pain it works very well with black cattle
If you think there is no pain stick that frozen brand on your leg one time. Branding is a cowmans best identification for theft recovery.

angusman1":163qzwog said:
I've seen hide pulled off and the brand bleed when freeze branding.

msscamp":h2p2j8tc said:
Caustic Burno":h2p2j8tc said:
Most of ya'll are to young to remember branding acid.

If you wouldn't mind explaining - what is 'branding acid'?

Actually sold gallon buckets of a tar like substance that was acidic you diped the branding iron in and applied to old Belle's ass.

Caustic Burno":2fluei1u said:
msscamp":2fluei1u said:
Caustic Burno":2fluei1u said:

Actually sold gallon buckets of a tar like substance that was acidic you diped the branding iron in and applied to old Belle's ass.

How did you keep it from eating through the hide?

msscamp":1yuwqnv1 said:
Caustic Burno":1yuwqnv1 said:
msscamp":1yuwqnv1 said:
Caustic Burno":1yuwqnv1 said:

It just didn't I don't remember the % acid child this was back in the late 60's early 70's before we knew how to raise cattle, Thank God this internet thing came along.
Back then in that coastal country wasn't anything to build a fire with unless you brought it.

Caustic Burno":3a6w1l4j said:
msscamp":3a6w1l4j said:
msscamp":3a6w1l4j said:

It just didn't I don't remember the % acid child this was back in the late 60's early 70's before we knew how to raise cattle, Thank God this internet thing came along.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: That was priceless! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Back then in that coastal country wasn't anything to build a fire with unless you brought it.

That is amazing! I listen to the stories my folks tell and the stories you tell, and I cannot even begin to imagine the fortitude and strength of character and conviction it had to have taken to stay in this business. No wonder you get annoyed with the whiners. I'm beginning to understand. Thank you.

msscamp":28h9vcyw said:
Caustic Burno":28h9vcyw said:

Wow Caustic you must be a young man.
Back in the 60's and 70's?
seems that was just last week.

Cal

Latest posts