brand

Help Support CattleToday:

dbc

Reaction score
Does anyone know how expensive it is to create a freeze brand,and how you go about making one?

I don't know how much raw material would cost. They start around 100 on up depending on how hard the brand is to make. You might find some cheaper. You would register your brand with the county or state. Heat would be the way I would shape mine. Practice on some crummy steal and when you get the hang make yours. Avoid too many sharp turns and shapes that go off from a single point. I would say you don't want the stock to be over 1/4 wide.

Scotty

Freeze branding irons and hot branding irons are made from different materials. Either heavy copper or brass makes up the brand of a freeze brand and I think it is either iron or steel that is the hot brand (or the electric ones work well if you have power). If you plan on making your own hot brand make sure to take into account the heat and create "vents" or spaces so your brand doesn't end up a big burnt blotch. Personally, I wouldn't even try the freeze brand.

I assume you are already a brand owner...if not you need to talk to your state livestock department to see what is needed to own a brand. Some states don't recognize freeze brands on cattle for ownership. I believe calf brands (hot) are supposed to be 3" and cow brands are to be 4" (in MT, your state may differ).

jersey lilly":14k351kh said:
Most of the brands I've seen used for freeze branding aren't made from iron, but are made from brass.

Exactly. But what better to practice on.

Scotty

Latest posts