Braiding Barb Wire

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":32l5nhx9 said:
Well, I bought a good set of bolt cutters, and elected to destroy my old set. Ground them down flat. My goldenrod needs loosened, and lubricated. I parked it years ago. I believe when I get the hang of using it all, I will really like it, and the ferrules. I'm going to have give the edge to the Texas Fence Fixer on speed. My kids, seem to have mastered it, so when we are all working together, I can have two sets of tools running now anyway. I'm still blown away, by the fact that I have never seen ferrules used on barbed wire. I'm a one man show, and I've never really helped anybody else fence, but I have been fencing for a life time. Anyway, I appreciate the tips and help.

Works better than anything I've used for repairing broken or tightening loose barb wire. Can fix a lot of fence in a day.

I've started putting strainers in my new fences.. usually by an anchor, and I have a lead of HT wire for the strainer to wrap, and the barbed coming off the other end of it.. works alright. I'm doing more and more in HT now though, I like being able to squeeze through it and it still holding the cows well.

I'll say a western union DOES NOT WORK on HT wire unless you leave the ends long, and then tie them in a second knot, and they're a SOB to get right to begin with because of the stiffness of the wire.

In barbed wire, I use the "never use" version as well and it does fine, though it does fail miserably on HT as well.

Never used ferules.. though if I see some I'll pick them up.. I think I already have a set of bagged out bolt cutters I can sacrifice for the job.. I think the notches in them are nearly right already

Bigfoot, I'd use an angle grinder to make the notches, or take the bolt cutter apart and you can use a bench grinder too

This picture was taken this afternoon at the line fence on the back side of one of my rent pastures. The neighbor is a good guy, but fairly new to the cattle business. There's one short stretch of fence that often gets attention from the bulls, and whoever finds a problem generally fixes it without even bothering to tell the other one. Anyone care to guess which splice he made and which one is mine?

Latest posts