Braiding Barb Wire

Help Support CattleToday:

Say your running a strand of wire on a brand new fence. The roll of wire ends, is this when you use ferrules or are you using them when repairing fence to tighten a section between post, or join two broken pieces? Sorry for the ignorant questions, but it never occurred to me that ferrules had an application on barbed wire.

Also, do I want the side by side, or end to end kind?

Both situations is what I do. I like my splice to extend thru the ferrule a couple inches and I bend the ends back. I went out to the barn and snapped a pic of what I have. The crimpers are made from regular cheap bolt cutters I think I gave 8 bucks for them.
. these ferrules arnt my favorite but they work very good.

Bigfoot":2w33e7jo said:
Say your running a strand of wire on a brand new fence. The roll of wire ends, is this when you use ferrules or are you using them when repairing fence to tighten a section between post, or join two broken pieces? Sorry for the ignorant questions, but it never occurred to me that ferrules had an application on barbed wire.

Also, do I want the side by side, or end to end kind?
All the above is how I use them.
Tree fall on a fence I can have it back up in a flash.
Cut the tree splice the wire back together get the tractor and grabs and clean up anytime.

Thanks for that info dash, and caustic. I can't believe it never registered with me use those. I've never been a fan of a goldenrod. Mainly because I couldn't make a connection that didn't yield slack, when I released the goldenrod. I'm assuming for repairs like a tree severing or stretching a wire, that a golden rod is the tool of choice in conjunction with ferrules?

Bigfoot":3na9upg4 said:
Thanks for that info dash, and caustic. I can't believe it never registered with me use those. I've never been a fan of a goldenrod. Mainly because I couldn't make a connection that didn't yield slack, when I released the goldenrod. I'm assuming for repairs like a tree severing or stretching a wire, that a golden rod is the tool of choice in conjunction with ferrules?
If the wire just has slack I use jakes to get the wire tight right now.
Keep a fence box on the mule with everything you need to get fence back up in this
rain forest until I can get back and make a permanent repair with a ferrule .

Never heard it called a golden Rod but yes that's the tool use to repair broken wire or fix slack . With ferrules there is very little slack released if you get your wire straight and little slack before you crimp it.

I now see, why I've always been disappointed with the results of a goldenrod. I was connecting the wires wrong. Ive been using a Texas fencing tool, for tightening type repairs. It works great, but I'm going to give ferrules a try.

Probably all that is available locally. Will I be able to bite them with my fencing pliers enough for them to work?

Bigfoot, I use that type, but they are longer than what those appear to be. I like the longer ones, so I can get 2 crimps on one ferrule, and bend the ends of the wire back along the ferrule after crimping just for insurance.
A broken wire or one that is stretched badly, ferrules is the way to go. Golden Rod is just the name all those kind of stretchers have around here, no matter who makes them. The original Golden Rod IMO, is the best, tho they now make one with a double take up on it if you are makeing a long pull. The 1st take up holds what you have already pulled while you reposition the other gripper head.
original:
s-l225.jpg

double:
goldenrod-415-fence-stretcher-splicer_403451.jpg

Bigfoot":3su44skr said:
Probably all that is available locally. Will I be able to bite them with my fencing pliers enough for them to work?
I wouldn't think so I bought the crimper the first half crimps the back half is wire cutters.

Caustic Burno":xy0mpxrh said:
https://www.valleyvet.com/group_images/10459_A.jpg

Dare ferrules is all I use anymore. They make them for every kind of application. Be sure and buy a good crimping tool. The cheap ones don't hold up or you will constantly be readjusting the jaws to get the correct bite. Had the same quality pair for 11 years now and never had to readjust or had a crimp slip. A final thought, and I know it's a tad more cost, but on stretches through heavy woods (where I know it's just a matter of time before a tree comes down on fence) I put an in line strainer in the middle of the run. Let's me get the fence darn tight, then if a limb comes down on it, I let out some slack, re join with ferrules if broken, and retighten strainer. If not broken, just sagged, I simply take up some slack. No extra tools needed other than the strainer handle.

Took a 2nd look at mine--some are fig 8 shaped--some are oval shaped. I do have some round ones from somewhere, but I do not like them on the gaucho wire I use.

I bought a pack of ferrules yesterday. The crimping tool, was like $80, so I passed on that. The bolt cutters, were expensive, so i didn't want to buy a set of them to butcher. Thought I could crush them with my klien pliers. The 25 year old me, probably could have done that. The 45 year old arthritic me, could not accomplish the task. The ferrules I bought, are elliptical, when you look down through it. Will just grinding some bolt cutters flat accomplish what I need to? The ones Dash put up, looked like he had made a couple of pockets in his. Chainsaw file, and time is the only way I see for me to accomplish that.

Bigfoot":1f4ett7c said:
I bought a pack of ferrules yesterday. The crimping tool, was like $80, so I passed on that. The bolt cutters, were expensive, so i didn't want to buy a set of them to butcher. Thought I could crush them with my klien pliers. The 25 year old me, probably could have done that. The 45 year old arthritic me, could not accomplish the task. The ferrules I bought, are elliptical, when you look down through it. Will just grinding some bolt cutters flat accomplish what I need to? The ones Dash put up, looked like he had made a couple of pockets in his. Chainsaw file, and time is the only way I see for me to accomplish that.
You should be able to retrofit some bolt cutters, the crimping tool has flat jaws till the back inch for cutting wire. The thing you would have to be careful on is to not get the gap to wide on the jaws.
If you do you won't get a tight enough crimp IMO.

Well, I bought a good set of bolt cutters, and elected to destroy my old set. Ground them down flat. My goldenrod needs loosened, and lubricated. I parked it years ago. I believe when I get the hang of using it all, I will really like it, and the ferrules. I'm going to have give the edge to the Texas Fence Fixer on speed. My kids, seem to have mastered it, so when we are all working together, I can have two sets of tools running now anyway. I'm still blown away, by the fact that I have never seen ferrules used on barbed wire. I'm a one man show, and I've never really helped anybody else fence, but I have been fencing for a life time. Anyway, I appreciate the tips and help.

Sorry I just got to this , been fishing and planting. Everyone else covered it very well.
Pic shows different splices. Ones on the right are the ones you don't want. The tube type.
The staytuff work very well.
On the left is the staytuff gripple. It's made to make off hightensile net wire to the end post.
Their not cheap, but when working with stiff hightensile wire with arthritic hands they are nice. Very very slick, and work.

Latest posts