Brahman cross calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Calhoun Farm

Reaction score
Looking to buy a brahman bull this weekend to bred to char, Hereford, and angus heifers over the winter. What kind of weight differences (good or bad) will the brahman have compared to say an angus or Hereford bull? I know genetics play a part I'm just asking ballpark..

how do Brangus, charbray, and tiger stripe calves compare to baldy or solid black calves in terms of WW and prices?

Calhoun Farm":10fs8aoz said:
Looking to buy a brahman bull this weekend to bred to char, Hereford, and angus heifers over the winter. What kind of weight differences (good or bad) will the brahman have compared to say an angus or Hereford bull? I know genetics play a part I'm just asking ballpark..

how do Brangus, charbray, and tiger stripe calves compare to baldy or solid black calves in terms of WW and prices?
The half blood steers will sell at a discount to the okie steers. The half blood heifers will bring a premium here. So it is kind of a wash on price. If you have the right Brahman bull, you could possibly have an increase in weaning weight from hybrid vigor.

Like said before F1 steers will get discounted and the heifers will sale for a premium. Especially if you raise them to breeding size. Be careful using a Brahman bull on british breed heifers though. This cross usually throws higher birth weights than what is seen in these breeds when straight bred.

I should have said higher birth weights when using a Brahman bull over British cows. It's not as bad using a British bull over Brahman cows.

In East texas The buyers love the half bloods. Brafords,Charbray,f1 Brangus, anything your heart desires.... If I had to pick one cow it would be a tigerstripe or chocolate braford. The calves in east texas should sell well regardless as long as the sheath isnt to bad. Heifers should bring1400.00-1800.00 at 12-15 months

cloud9cattle":18p922lg said:
In East texas The buyers love the half bloods. Brafords,Charbray,f1 Brangus, anything your heart desires.... If I had to pick one cow it would be a tigerstripe or chocolate braford. The calves in east texas should sell well regardless as long as the sheath isnt to bad. Heifers should bring1400.00-1800.00 at 12-15 months
The buyers loves the half bloods as long as they are females. There's not much demand for half blood steers and you are likely get docked on them for have too much skin.

Go to your local stock yard and see how many calves with ear you see there. There is a reason you dont see them much in the east. They dock the price terrible. I like the cattle but they sure dont sell here.

cloud9cattle":jseyovpv said:
I don't know what sale you go to but F1 Brahman steers will bring less than any thing without ear at the ones I sale at and I figure its worse in East Tennessee.

kenny thomas":fjnx0ygh said:
Go to your local stock yard and see how many calves with ear you see there. There is a reason you dont see them much in the east. They dock the price terrible. I like the cattle but they sure dont sell here.

Read this post again and think about your profits!!!!!1 If you have a desire for some females spend the money and buy some. That bull is just rolling the dice and you could end up with a calf crop that is 80% crossbred bulls. :shock:

Most Brahman bulls are used right the opposite, for maternal purpose...if you had Brahman F1 momas using a char bull, then you'd have a calf will that would bust the scale springs...use the Brahman bulls over British cows Then go back with a continental bull,on those..

If you are going to use a Brahman bull on English heifers you imo better make darn sure he is lbw. And I still wouldn't use him. I like tigerstripe cows and F-1 mommas as much as the next person but it is known as another poster said that Brahman bulls over English cows tend to throw very large steer calves. Nothing comparable to a Brahman to another Brahman. I would not go over board and go the longhorn route but I would make sure I sold as many live calves as I could. Can't sell a dead one and those better be some special heifers to be able to handle birthing some 100 lb steer calves which you could see with the wrong Brahman bull. Why re-invent the wheel get you a lbw Angus, Brangus, Limo, Sim-angus and get the first set of calves on the ground and then go with your Brahman bull. With today's prices I would hate to see anyman with a train wreck with 80% bull calves trying to pull those 100 lb jokers out of a group of heifers. Better not have a day job. You would be money ahead again in my opinion to get you a live set of calves on the ground and only have to deal with getting $900+ a piece for them and then go to what you want after that.

Isn't that the same advice given for most breeds when breeding heifers.
I also agree that lbw Brahman bull be used with any cross breeding. Most Brahman bulls are way to big but there are still plenty of lbws to choose from.

ALACOWMAN":1akbvduq said:
Most Brahman bulls are used right the opposite, for maternal purpose...if you had Brahman F1 momas using a char bull, then you'd have a calf will that would bust the scale springs...use the Brahman bulls over British cows Then go back with a continental bull,on those..

This is what i was referring too.

That's going to be a lot of ear on a steer going through the sale barn. Heifers will probably sell well, but when you factor in the discount on the steers, I'm not sure I would use that particular breeding. I can see the benefit of the Brahman blood on those heifers, but I guess you need to share your overall goals in order to gain 100% solid advice.

Incidentally, have you considered a Brangus, Beefmaster, Santa Gert, or Braford bull? You could still gain the hybrid vigor pluses If the bull is a good one...and not get docked too terribly bad on the steers. The Brangus and Gert will give you some color uniformity as well. Regardless of the route you go, do the research on the bull's conformation and EPD's, as train wrecks can occur with heifers using any breed.

I'm not going to use a brahman, too many risks with getting killed on the steers. I can get 50% payback with my state's ag enhancement program so I'm going to buy a reg angus bull. Can't go wrong with black in my area.

How about a santa gertrudis. My gert/hereford, gert/char, and gert/angus steers do well here in middle tn. The gert/char steers are awesome, but they are off gert mommas. You get little ear and nice heifers. I got pictures if you want to see off spring. Our sale barn owner and a big volume owner loves gert/char.

midtncattle":1ibv1b0j said:
How about a santa gertrudis. My gert/hereford, gert/char, and gert/angus steers do well here in middle tn. The gert/char steers are awesome, but they are off gert mommas. You get little ear and nice heifers. I got pictures if you want to see off spring. Our sale barn owner and a big volume owner loves gert/char.
I will breed pimp a little and show a picture of the results of a Santa Gertrudis bull on a Charolais cow. Calf weighed 685 at 194 days of age.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=91929

Latest posts