Brahman bull for Heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

cow pollinater":2i1co6s8 said:
This is a very rare incidence but I'd recommend sorted semen in this scenario. Look up sexing technologies out of Texas. They sort a bunch of brimmer bulls. The heifers from the cross are worth gold but the bulls not so much and the fertility of both parents is enough to give you good conception. Breed them two services with sorted and then turn a calving ease bull out.

Thank you pollinator. I will look into that.

I wouldn't sell cattle at a sale barn around here if you paid me. The closest one I would consider selling at is Ava, Mo and if i'm going to sell them there I might as well ship them south. The bulls will be sold private treaty and the heifers will more than likely be kept back as part of my commercial program.

RisingCreekHerefords":10zxxcqa said:
cow pollinater":10zxxcqa said:
This is a very rare incidence but I'd recommend sorted semen in this scenario. Look up sexing technologies out of Texas. They sort a bunch of brimmer bulls. The heifers from the cross are worth gold but the bulls not so much and the fertility of both parents is enough to give you good conception. Breed them two services with sorted and then turn a calving ease bull out.

Thank you pollinator. I will look into that.

I wouldn't sell cattle at a sale barn around here if you paid me. The closest one I would consider selling at is Ava, Mo and if i'm going to sell them there I might as well ship them south. The bulls will be sold private treaty and the heifers will more than likely be kept back as part of my commercial program.

There's a guy 90 miles south of me that ships about 75 F1 "braford" bulls a year (to be used as herd sires) They get sent to Florida and texas mostly. But some are scattered all over the southern Midwest.

KR Cattle Co":3af76ao6 said:
Seems like a lot of effort. He is in a good market, just need to breed for what works here. Straight Hereford feeder calves usually sell a little lower here in our area, but make some good black baddies and they should do very good.
The majority of his cows are still Santa Gertudis and all of the bulls he uses are. He does have a bunch of Hereford and Angus and baldy cows. But sired by those Gert bulls they have way too much ear for this area.

Have you thought about using a Gir ( Gyr) bull on the heifers? They tend to have low birth weights. Just a thought.

texast":1u217dpp said:
Have you thought about using a Gir ( Gyr) bull on the heifers? They tend to have low birth weights. Just a thought.
Isn't most gyr a little too colorful and extremely big framed?

Muddy":uh4z977i said:
texast":uh4z977i said:
There are solid reds, but the do have the most magnificent ears of any Bos Indicus

RisingCreekHerefords":ak0nef8w said:
I'm not looking to buy the bull. Only semen on him.

Then just call Bovine Elite and talk to one of their reps...they prob have the most extensive Brahman line up out there.

dun":k60yck1a said:
Muddy":k60yck1a said:
texast":k60yck1a said:
There are solid reds, but the do have the most magnificent ears of any Bos Indicus
Yeah but they won't be F1 tigerstripes.

Get some good, sexed semen from a V-8 or Hudgins bull and be well informed on how to pull a calf if the need arises. Should make for some pretty babies.

I assume your going to calve these heifers as 2 year olds. Those animals are still growing, get a proven light weigh sire or semen. I always had great luck with a Limi bull, I bought from Kemi Limousin. I'm still holding on to semen that I collected even though I have not had any cattle in three years.185 calves out of that bull and none of em over 60 lbs. Most were about 50 lbs. Those calves always caught up with their larger birthweight counterparts.
I know Kemi used to have an add on this board selling semen on Shag Man.
Get those heifers calved out easy the first time and then drop a Brimmed in.

Brangus an option? Super baldies are just about as marketable as an F1, if not more so.

ricebeltrancher":yh6yg2qi said:
Brangus an option? Super baldies are just about as marketable as an F1, if not more so.

I thought about suggesting Brangus, but saw the op say no to Angus twice and with Brangus 5/8 Angus I passed. I think it would be a good cross and if he don't want Black hide could go with Red Brangus. I was also thinking Beefmaster would make some good bull calves and some good replacement heifers.

Caustic Burno":1e2p255n said:
If you are going to put a Brimmer bull on English cows buy a good set of chains especially Hereford.
You will get some behemoth bull calves. It is better Hereford over Brimmer.
Do some research to get you started.
About halfway through the slide show gives the Brahman birth weight factor.
http://msucares.com/livestock/beef/geneticslunch4.pdf

Caustic,

Do you think the shape of a brimmer cross calf would off set the additional birth weight? I ask because I have pulled very few eared calves in my life.

Caustic Burno":qxuosvtf said:
If you are going to put a Brimmer bull on English cows buy a good set of chains especially Hereford.
I agree. Hybrid vigor starts at conception when the Brahman bull is covering a Hereford or Angus cow. The Brahman cow has something in her genetic makeup that surpresses birthweight.

Bigfoot":111bxpxp said:
Caustic Burno":111bxpxp said:

Caustic,

Do you think the shape of a brimmer cross calf would off set the additional birth weight? I ask because I have pulled very few eared calves in my life.

The only thing I have pulled the most was from a Char,
followed by Brahman over Hereford.
The Brahman over Hereford cross is the maximum of hybred vigor.
The F-1 Tiger is my cow still have some standing in the pasture have targeted for a 1/4 cross to tighten hide
trim ear and retain vigor.
Have not seen this phenomenon in Brahman composites like Brangus, that is the only other
cross I used.
Second problem the steer calves are a huge hit at the salebarn
the heifers only bring a premium for retaining back to the farm buyers.
Third you better have real good working facilities.
That is why there is an Angus covering mine.

Caustic Burno":28a0pexo said:
Bigfoot":28a0pexo said:
Caustic Burno":28a0pexo said:

Caustic,

The only thing I have pulled the most was from a Char,
followed by Brahman over Hereford.
The Brahman over Hereford cross is the maximum of hybred vigor.
The F-1 Tiger is my cow still have some standing in the pasture have targeted for a 1/4 cross to tighten hide
trim ear and retain vigor.
Have not seen this phenomenon in Brahman composites like Brangus, that is the only other
cross I used.
Second problem the steer calves are a huge hit at the salebarn
the heifers only bring a premium for retaining back to the farm buyers.
Third you better have real good working facilities.
That is why there is an Angus covering mine.

We have noticed that some of the AI Angus sires seems to put a little Tabasco in their calves. One reason I'm going with a Hereford/Red Angus cross. Any black baldie or black heifers will be bred Red Angus. So far the Red Angus I've had dealings with have been easy to handle and docile. The older Angus cows are no problem but some of the younger out of sons of AI sires are.

Latest posts