Brahman bull for Heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

RisingCreekHerefords

Reaction score
I am thinking about breeding some of my Hereford or Hereford influence heifers to a brahman for some F1 calves. Problem is, I don't see many options out there and I really don't know how to read the epds of a Brahman. I have heard a lot of people tell me not to breed to red brahmans but to find a gray? What are your opinions? Thanks everyone!

Why not breed these heifers to an angus bull for their first calves? Problem is that Brahman bull can throws big calves due to hybrid vigor which you can have birth problems something that your heifers didn't need.

Muddy":2513jycx said:
Why not breed these heifers to an angus bull for their first calves? Problem is that Brahman bull can throws big calves due to hybrid vigor which you can have birth problems something that your heifers didn't need.

I agree. Brahman epds are only correct if you're breeding back to brahman cows. Also I was always told not to save a heifer out of a heifer. But that's just what I was taught. It may be fine. I like your game plan though. Those F1s really represent (to me) what a momma cow in the south should be.

Again, not interested in Angus.

Thank you though. I am trying to use a bull that is proven and has been fairly low birth weight on heifers but there really isn't much out there on these bulls at all.

RisingCreekHerefords":16wfi9pf said:
Again, not interested in Angus.

Thank you though. I am trying to use a bull that is proven and has been fairly low birth weight on heifers but there really isn't much out there on these bulls at all.

The problem you're gonna have is finding a brahman bull that is "proven" on hereford heifers. If someone has a brahman bull "proven" on hereford heifers, chances are they're not gonna sell him. But good luck in your search.

Finding a Brahman bull In Missouri will probably be harder then, one that would work on heifers... If you do the majority of them should work on heifers...you'll get more pronounced stripes on the F1s using greys. The Brahman are low birthweight cattle for the most part and narrow as a razor strap at birth...

Personally I would just focus on calving the heifers out with a proven calving ease bull even if its a Hereford bull or Angus bull. Brahman isn't an ideal breed to using on non-eared heifers, unless you want a dead calf, a dead cow, or a hefty vet bill.

But feel free to breed them to any bull you want after they had their first calf.

RisingCreekHerefords":uyfvu8vq said:
I'm not looking to buy the bull. Only semen on him.
Well then just talk to your semen rep. I know to hedge my bet I'd take a pelvic measurement on those heifers but I'm with ACowman I think they are thin at birth and like your idea.

The word on the street has always been that F1 calves out of brimmer bull were larger at birth. That has not always been my personal experience. If I wasn't going with a particular breed for calving ease, you might as well use what you want, in your case a brahma.

Ran red brahman bulls with holstein heifers for a couple of years. Never pulled a calf and the bull calves were worth their weigh in gold at 3 days of age.

KR Cattle Co":3ovi0jpg said:
Why would you want to add ear to your herd? Calves with bigger ears seem to get dinged at sales in central Missouri.
That sure has been the case even in the Ozarks. Neighbor has ear on his calves and hauls them to OK city to keep from getting beat up too badly. Says the added that he gets there makes up for the hauling costs.

" I was always told not to save a heifer out of a heifer. But that's just what I was taught"

JMJ,
That's an old saw with not much meat behind it.
Yeah, a first-calf heifer's calf will generally give up 60+ lbs weaning weight to a calf by the same sire, out of a similar 4-5 yr old cow... as a result, many don't 'make the cut', when folks are selecting replacements based solely on size/weight... but no reason at all that that heifer's daughter can't/won't grow off to make just as good a cow.

I've had some good cows come out of first-calf heifers through the years, but I'm at a point that I can't and don't want to keep every heifer calf born here.... I let the retained first-timers go to a young 'cleanup' bull, for the most part,and if they mother that baby, do a decent job raising it, and breed back, I look at that first calf as a 'coupon' - mostly redeemed at the salebarn - giving her a chance to stay and PROVE herself with the next one.

This is a very rare incidence but I'd recommend sorted semen in this scenario. Look up sexing technologies out of Texas. They sort a bunch of brimmer bulls. The heifers from the cross are worth gold but the bulls not so much and the fertility of both parents is enough to give you good conception. Breed them two services with sorted and then turn a calving ease bull out.

dun":1g2gwjqc said:
KR Cattle Co":1g2gwjqc said:
Why would you want to add ear to your herd? Calves with bigger ears seem to get dinged at sales in central Missouri.
That sure has been the case even in the Ozarks. Neighbor has ear on his calves and hauls them to OK city to keep from getting beat up too badly. Says the added that he gets there makes up for the hauling costs.

He's gonna take a hit on the steers but those F1 females will more than make up the difference. Down here anyway.

JMJ Farms":be6gt4ek said:
dun":be6gt4ek said:
KR Cattle Co":be6gt4ek said:

He's gonna take a hit on the steers but those F1 females will more than make up the difference. Down here anyway.
The operative part is "down here"

dun":19sp2y0o said:
JMJ Farms":19sp2y0o said:

I understand. However he could sell them and ship them south with absolutely no problem. And turn a nice profit. Those heifers will command a premium if they're good.

JMJ Farms":2ldc8hgy said:
dun":2ldc8hgy said:
JMJ Farms":2ldc8hgy said:

I understand. However he could sell them and ship them south with absolutely no problem. And turn a nice profit. Those heifers will command a premium if they're good.

Seems like a lot of effort. He is in a good market, just need to breed for what works here. Straight Hereford feeder calves usually sell a little lower here in our area, but make some good black baddies and they should do very good.

Latest posts