BPH Bales Per Hour

Help Support CattleToday:

CUZ":208rdhj3 said:
flaboy?":208rdhj3 said:
I run in the 10-15 bale/hr range doing 5x6 except when my baler breaks and I do .5 per hour. :oops:

Hey, I think .5 bales per hour with a broke baler is pretty dang good. If baler breaks around here it might be two days before you get any bales per hour.

It only takes me about 15-20 minutes to repair the drive chain, 20-30 minutes for a floor chain as I have a lot of practice over the years and I carry a 18vdc grinder/cutoff tool and spare links. Hydraulics or bearings will certainly skew my estimates. :lol:

I have rolled 30 per hour under good conditions but usually avg about 20. 4x5 rolls NH740 twine wrap. Third year with this baler 0 breakdowns so far due to regular maintainence. I like to blow it off clean before greasing and look at everything.I got 10 years out of last baler(640) and it was still in very good condition when traded so I know this machine very well, if anything does go wrong I know exactly what to do to get rolling quickly.

I never worried about bales per hour, actualy it has never crossed my mind. My thought were always in a tractor or baler not breaking down until I finished a field. Started baling Monday one tractor broke a fan belt, ran back to the house for another tractor to finish the field. I never considered it a race had more thought in cutting raking and baling to maximize the grass off the field.

Caustic Burno":m95di0ck said:
My thought were always in a tractor or baler not breaking down until I finished a field. Started baling Monday one tractor broke a fan belt, ran back to the house for another tractor to finish the field..

If you had made a good inspection of your tractor you would had change that belt. Before hay time on the baler and tractors, if I suspect a part, I repair or change it. Every thing i can do to prevent a break down, i do it. I got enough of the one I can't predict. I always say in the field it's time to work not to repair.

The other day I finished raking and sat and watched the partner bale. He made 22 bales in 30 minutes. Braand new this spring New Holland baler. I can't remember the model number.

gendronf":39s6atfk said:
Caustic Burno":39s6atfk said:
My thought were always in a tractor or baler not breaking down until I finished a field. Started baling Monday one tractor broke a fan belt, ran back to the house for another tractor to finish the field..

If you had made a good inspection of your tractor you would had change that belt. Before hay time on the baler and tractors, if I suspect a part, I repair or change it. Every thing i can do to prevent a break down, i do it. I got enough of the one I can't predict. I always say in the field it's time to work not to repair.

See this is where you barking to feel your butt wiggle when you think you are not going to break down in a hay field is when you are not baling much hay. The belt was a new belt on the tractor replaced this spring, I routinely don't just pull an alternator off a tractor and change it for no reason. Had the alternator not locked up the belt wouldn't have broke. If I had only properly maintained that 1979 Model Massey that dang alternator wouldn't have gotten me you would think a tractor should hold up a little better with 7000 hours .

How fast is your ground speed baling 40+ bales per hour? I baled 25 4X6 bales of straw off of 12 acres with a JD 430 and a JD 2630 tractor. Straw was lite and it took me 3 hours traveling at 4.5 mph. I realize with a heavier crop I could bale more/faster but you guys must be flying around the fields! Don't think my old 2630 could take the stress. :lol:

Caustic Burno":2cl6walj said:
If I had only properly maintained that 1979 Model Massey that dang alternator wouldn't have gotten me you would think a tractor should hold up a little better with 7000 hours .

flaboy? said "Yep, they just don't make them like they used to."

And the warranty probably ran out at 6900 hours. :)

50 bph @6.5 to 7 mph all day sat. Mon. brouk down . Elec. prob. Mon & Tus. One never knows when 6415 JD will stop working. Still Have 225 ac. to cut & bail

Okay so after reading this thread and went out and timed my baling. remember I've only been baling for two years...graduated raker you know :D
Laugh if you must...
3020 JD tractor, 850 new holland baller, manual tie.
Takes 1 minuter to tie...if it will start right away
1.5 minutes to stop tractor to tie, kick out bale and get going again,
Lost track after 3 minutes of baling because the indicator was getting close to a full bale and i was nearing a slough with thick slough hay.
Between 2:15 and 6pm made 40 bales.
Oh yeah had to wait 20 minutes for husband to come and rescue me. He thought i got stuck cause the baler was sitting funny in the slough. i just put the tractor in park because i was on an incline and did not want to roll back into the slough while i was tieing the bale... and got the tractor stuck in park. :oops:

bitterweed":2li6mlfq said:
50 bph @6.5 to 7 mph all day sat. Mon. brouk down . Elec. prob. Mon & Tus. One never knows when 6415 JD will stop working. Still Have 225 ac. to cut & bail

What size/type bale? Some of my fields are too rough to travel that fast. Heck it takes me a couple minutes just to manual wrap the bale. :shock:

My equipment is so old I can't count bales per hour. I have to count breakdowns per hour.

See "Dear Diary" in the coffee shop forum for how my weekend went. I'm sure some of you can relate except for the last part.

Earl, can relate to breakdowns and old equipment. I'm not sure of our oldest tractor that works but several are from the '50. We still seed with a steel wheel seed drill and we jus entered the 21 centuy with a haybine 2 years ago. We were using the jd 7ft mower. mow 1/2 hour fix for 2. Our newest tractor is from the '70's
yes i understand.

Latest posts