BPH Bales Per Hour

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
I just finished baling a 19 acre place. 4100 Ford tractor and 8-wheel vermeer rake, and 72 Hp Case-IH 4230 and Rebel Round Baler. Averaged 17 bales per hour. Is this about par for everyone else. I was wondering if I was slow, average or fast.

That sounds pretty good especially if you were raking and baling, the most hay we ever baled was 162 in 1 day took about 7 hours, but I was raking and my husband was baling. Our baler is a 848 New Holland Chain baler, he was pulling it with a Ford 6600. I think he was baling 1st gear high range.
So I would say you were doing good. :D

I run JD 456's and 457's we average 46 bales per hour in dry cornstalks. Alfalfa bales around 42 per hour.

alot of it all depends on what type of baler you have, some balers can take in alot more than others and some can take it in faster. And some get packed up in thick hay and you have to dig it out and try again.

hurleyjd":zyd07mtz said:
I just finished baling a 19 acre place. 4100 Ford tractor and 8-wheel vermeer rake, and 72 Hp Case-IH 4230 and Rebel Round Baler. Averaged 17 bales per hour. Is this about par for everyone else. I was wondering if I was slow, average or fast.
the baler an the thickness of the window dictates how meny bales pre hour you can put up.when everything is prefect they say you can bale 30 bales an hour.thats kicking out a bale every 2 minutes.

Bez+":298cc17p said:
somn":298cc17p said:
I run JD 456's and 457's we average 46 bales per hour in dry cornstalks. Alfalfa bales around 42 per hour.

Less than one minute to load, wrap and dump a bale out of a round baler?

Outstanding.

Wish we could do that.

Bez+
I was wondering about you when you made the statement feeding cattle grain is a losers game this explains it you can't count.

somn":15jx7kjo said:
Bez+":15jx7kjo said:
somn":15jx7kjo said:

Outstanding.

Wish we could do that.

Bez+
I was wondering about you when you made the statement feeding cattle grain is a losers game this explains it you can't count.

Well despite your insult I know there are 60 minutes in an hour - but you take into account stop and go, you are still averaging a minute and 20 seconds. Plus or minus.

I am pretty sure your baler is a round baler.

So you have to be doing a bale in less than one minute.

Pretty good - and I still wish I could do this.

I cannot even open and close / lock the gate the gate under 15 - 20 seconds. Net wrap is pretty fast but string takes a bit more time. I have never managed to average more than about 17 bales an hour - even in good conditions.

Once we might have max'd out at around 20 bales an hour - but that would have been a great day.

46 bales an hour is note worthy.

I did not attack you but you seem to be ready to fight. Why?

Bez+

somn":5uzoa7v7 said:
Bez+":5uzoa7v7 said:
somn":5uzoa7v7 said:

Outstanding.

Wish we could do that.

Bez+

I believe you may have misquoted me on the grain issue - however I believe I have always stated there is a time and a place for grain.

There are also times and places where it is not necessary.

However, you take your own road and read what you believe.

Bez+

Bez+":251lsg8p said:
somn":251lsg8p said:
Bez+":251lsg8p said:
somn":251lsg8p said:

Outstanding.

Wish we could do that.

Bez+

Well despite your insult I know there are 60 minutes in an hour - but you take into account stop and go, you are still averaging a minute and 20 seconds. Plus or minus.

I am pretty sure your baler is a round baler.

So you have to be doing a bale in less than one minute.

Pretty good - and I still wish I could do this.

I cannot even open and close / lock the gate the gate under 15 - 20 seconds. Net wrap is pretty fast but string takes a bit more time. I have never managed to average more than about 17 bales an hour - even in good conditions.

Once we might have max'd out at around 20 bales an hour - but that would have been a great day.

46 bales an hour is note worthy.

I did not attack you but you seem to be ready to fight. Why?

Bez+
46 bales in 60 minutes = 1 bale every 1 minute 20 seconds. How is it then I'm still doing a bale in less than a minute? 65 bales per hour would be doing a bale in less than one minute. You have very funny math. Why fight? I get real tired of hearing how feeding grain to cattle is a loser. Well I seem to feed grain to my cattle almost everyday of my life and I am very succesfull at it. 95% of the time people telling others feeding grain is a loser are those people that have never done it in the first place. The other 5% are those people that can't figure the economics of it. Your math puts you in the last catagory.

ok calm down and stop being rude. she is subtracting the stoping and going. chill out. no reason to be calling people dumb.

also we used to run string balers and we had time to swing around while it was tying the bale so that we could place them the right way so we dont have to go over the wheel tracks with the bale wagon. but now we run a new holland 688 round balle rthat is net wrap and it takes about 12 seconds to stop, wrap, and go again. it depends on how thick your windrows are. we make our bales so that they weigh just under a ton and are 68" high

somn":2dvmkde9 said:

I do about the same as you with a claas 280 (net wrap) and a tractor of at least 110 HP. It got to be the best conditions and plenty of hay.

We did a little better on 18 acres today. We baled 98 bales in 2 hours. These were 4 X 5 bales. The windrows were not as thick and we could have more ground speed. The 19 acres Sat. had real thick windrows and we had to go slower.

somn":ikyanh28 said:
46 bales per hour....per baler? That's outstanding!

There are alot of factors determining bales per hour,equip/type forage/how well it was raked etc, but the # 1 thing that weighs the heaviest on my productivity around here is field shape,I have one that is tear drop shaped,and others that are irregular shaped too,field land is at a premium in the Texas Hill country,so we make every foot count,most are planted right up to the fence lines ............good luck

Yep, are they 4x4, 4x5, 4x6, 5x6? I have seen some pretty fast 4x4 bales popped out but no where near one per minute. I do 5x6 and my stuff is really old so I take it slow and try to not put too much strain on it.

I have never really timed it but I suspect I run in the 10-15 bale/hr range doing 5x6 except when my baler breaks and I do .5 per hour. :oops:

flaboy?":7egb5mop said:
I run in the 10-15 bale/hr range doing 5x6 except when my baler breaks and I do .5 per hour. :oops:

Hey, I think .5 bales per hour with a broke baler is pretty dang good. If baler breaks around here it might be two days before you get any bales per hour.

Latest posts