Boy drives to get help after cow kills dad

Help Support CattleToday:

Sir Loin

Reaction score
WISNER, Neb. -- The 8-year-old son of a Cuming County man drove the family pickup truck three miles to get help after a cow killed his father Friday afternoon.

The boy left the farm after witnessing his father, Lowell Horst, being pinned into a corner of a barn, according to the Cuming County Sheriff's Office.

The boy knew not to enter the pen and went to the home of his uncle, Armin Horst, authorities said.

When Armin Horst arrived, the cow tried to attack him, too. But he got the animal out of the barn and closed the door.

He then checked his brother's pulse. Rescue crews examined the body and pronounced Lowell Horst dead at 3:49 p.m.
It's not known why the cow attacked Lowell and Armin Horst, according to the sheriff's office.
Source:
http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/article ... 03/09/news
/latest_news/439e393a11e6414f8625729a00160f5f.txt

The only thing I wish to say about this is to express my condolences to family and friends of Lowell Horst and hope it will remind all of us of the dangers involved in the cattle business.

How many foolish, or other wise, chances have you taken in the last 30 days?
This has served to remind me that I have taken to damn many!!

That precious little boy...he did what he was told and stayed out! You know how frantic he had to have been...yet he did what he was taught to do...he stayed out! God love him and bless him forever and ever, amen.

Alice

i hate to hear stories like this. especially when a child witnesses it. yeah he did right and good, and he learned a valuable lesson at a very high price, but its not a lesson that is worth the price paid and i doubt he will even ever want to be around cows anymore to put that specific lesson learned to use. granted there are other lessons to take from this, i just hate to see a child lose someone period.

Beefy":3jcwwo9n said:
i hate to hear stories like this. especially when a child witnesses it. yeah he did right and good, and he learned a valuable lesson at a very high price, but its not a lesson that is worth the price paid and i doubt he will even ever want to be around cows anymore to put that specific lesson learned to use. granted there are other lessons to take from this, i just hate to see a child lose someone period.

Me too. :(

so sorry to hear about that accident , poor little boy and his his family..
i preach that all the time about working the cows.. they are cows ! and a bull.. my highlands are really laid back including the bull.. but i never trust them 100%.. i m in the field w/ them but i always keep a way out game plan...i figure it's way better to rip the truck apart than me.. .. we added a new cow to our herd a few weeks ago. wasnt sure how the bull would behave.. he did fine but you never know.. i will pass this story on to my farmer partners... Rose

I too dont like hearing about these bad stories but it lets me know and alot of other people know to double check people around cattle and help prevent things like this happening

yeah i put a thread on that in the coffee shop but you just actually have the article...and again i feel really bad for the family and expecially that boy having to see his dad die that way. i know that would ruin cattle for me for the rest of my life.

Latest posts