Boxed Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Not being in the slaughter/packers arena, how many pounds of beef are in a package of "Boxed Beef"?

Also, are only one type of cuts in each box? Or, is it a mixed assortment of different cuts in a box?

Is the box unit done by the slaughterhouse (or) by some middleman processor prior to sending to the retail supermarkets?

Do any grocery stores/supermarkets use hanging halves that the store butchers cut up and package in the meat department?

Thanks.

Running Arrow Bill":b6infgmt said:
Do any grocery stores/supermarkets use hanging halves that the store butchers cut up and package in the meat department?

Thanks.

In our area, the butchers shop and a couple of the grocery stores do cut their own meat. They are not buying hanging halves, but shrink wrapped sections. Might get the back meat, might get the hind quarter, or whatever you want to buy.

A couple of them do a really good job with it.

here none of our chain grocers butcher their own hanging beef. I can remember as a teen ( not that old) when Safeway's would have halves and quaters hanging in the butcher shop. Could see them grinding their own beef right through the windows. It was neat to watch. Now it all comes from a central location and they wrap it in the stores

Rr

I think most of the time the boxes are sold as standard weights of the same part of the carcass. As in you may get 100# box of a shoulder or a 100# box of a round. Then the meat cutters will decide how to market that area in their store for the best return.
I assume most boxing is done at the slaughter house and then sent either directly to the retail stores or as boxed beeef to processors which will break it down into specialized "branded " products.
Not very many pounds of beef are shipped hanging especially from the big slaughterhouses. The cost of shipping a hanging side and the labor to move it prohibits most of that. However the high end demand for specialized cuts and special processing does still exist but the majority moves as boxed beef.
These are the way I understand it and I am sure there are people on this forum that do this more than I do that canshed more light on the subject.

Running Arrow Bill":2vq375wj said:
Not being in the slaughter/packers arena, how many pounds of beef are in a package of "Boxed Beef"?

Also, are only one type of cuts in each box? Or, is it a mixed assortment of different cuts in a box?

Is the box unit done by the slaughterhouse (or) by some middleman processor prior to sending to the retail supermarkets?

Thanks.

I can't remember right off on the weight per box.

I would say that most of the time when your buying "Box Beef" you are buying whole cutts, there for will be for example,just strip loins or what ever whole cut you ask for.

Most of the time "Box Beef" comes strait from the slaughterhouse

I would say that there are some local grocery stores in some areas that still have buy hanging halves. But I am almost willing to bet that they too buy box beef to help fill up the meat counter. Ya'll all know that there are only so many Ribeyes in a side of beef.

Sorry I couldnt give you all your info Running Arrow Bill.

grannysoo":2mzs9o90 said:
Running Arrow Bill":2mzs9o90 said:

Thanks.

In our area, the butchers shop and a couple of the grocery stores do cut their own meat. They are not buying hanging halves, but shrink wrapped sections. Might get the back meat, might get the hind quarter, or whatever you want to buy.

A couple of them do a really good job with it.
About the same here---I doubt you could find a butcher these days that could even breakdown a side! Boxed beef is shipped as loins, rounds, shoulders, brisket and flank. Boxed beef for hamburger could be ---ANYTHING !! :tiphat:

Running Arrow Bill":3v0kuizv said:
Around 80lb.
One cut.
Slaughterhouse next door to the feedlot.
None that I know of. Hauling swinging beef went out of style many many years ago.

Latest posts