Bottle Calf Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

MissouriExile

Reaction score
Good Morning;

I would like to get a feel for what is happening in different areas of the country.
Here in SW Missouri bottle calves are selling for $180.00 to 230.00++ each. Is that a normal price range for 80-100 lb calves?

Jon

MissouriExile":d9y85gaq said:
Good Morning;

I would like to get a feel for what is happening in different areas of the country.
Here in SW Missouri bottle calves are selling for $180.00 to 230.00++ each. Is that a normal price range for 80-100 lb calves?

Jon

Heifer calves or bull calves...dairy calves or beef calves?

Alice

Alice":ktz3bdb9 said:
MissouriExile":ktz3bdb9 said:
Good Morning;

Jon

Heifer calves or bull calves...dairy calves or beef calves?

Alice

Sorry. commercial Beef Bull Calves, occasional commercial beef heifer calves.

Jon

I so rarely see beef bottle babies...altho I'm only familiar with the Dublin Livestock Sale when I say this. Just off the top of my head, I think what you are seeing is rather high in price...at least for around here. Last year I paid that for several beef bottle babies, but they were heifers.

Backhoeboogie would be able to answer your question...at least as far as this area of Texas is concerned. Why don't you pm him?

Alice

180-230 I think thats normal to a little high for a bottle feeder now if there started on grain already + milk then thats a plus but if they are a day old and might die on you then dont jump in and spend your money in my area dairy bulls at that range will go for 10-200 with alot in the 20-50 range I have seen a small commercail Charolais sell for 300 once but thats the highest day old calf I ever seen in the sale barn hope I helped a bit good luck

here in south west kansas at the sale barn you can get 25$ ona good day and then off the farm for healthy bootle babys they will run 200 but that is for an awsome little calf that they sell to 4-hers

havnt bought a bucket calf in a while, thank god, but last year at this time good beef ones were bringin anywhere from 200 to 350 dollars. dont know what they are this year, but if its the same then thats definetly cheap.

this year i got 2 week old calves to put on 2 of our cows and only paid 150 each bull calf, and they are growing fine im in oregon

My friend buys Holestien Bulls from a dairy when they are about 3-12 days old and he pays about $125 per head. Then he weans them, keeps em for a little while then sells for beef. $400-$500 when he sells em.

I grafted a couple of Holstein bulls on cows that lost their calves this spring. Big healthy 4 day old calves off the dairy for $50. Beef calves the same age and condition are $200 or so.

I just recently stopped by a friends who runs a VERY small dairy and we got to talking....2 weeks ago he sent...

1 week old holstein heifer
weight at sale barn 85#
Check received $636

I just about fell over!

Michele

mitchwi":z3wtbf3v said:
I just recently stopped by a friends who runs a VERY small dairy and we got to talking....2 weeks ago he sent...

1 week old holstein heifer
weight at sale barn 85#
Check received $636

I just about fell over!

Michele

:lol: :p Yep. They're going pretty high right now.

But when a springer is bringing $2500 at the salebarn... you can see why people would be willing to shell out $600 for a newborn.

Latest posts