Bottle Calf Concerns

Help Support CattleToday:

Ori

Reaction score
Hello! I'm bottle feeding a Red Angus heifer, eight days old today. We've raised orphans before, but it's been over ten years since we've raised one from birth. I'll give some background on her first.

Her momma died after a rough labor; she was one of our pet cows, sweetest in the herd, only ten years old, but in poor condition due to the drought despite our best efforts. Baby is also a bit larger than her calves normally are. She was 3 to 5 hours old when we found her; energetic, bawling, and still messy from the birth. She got one single serve bag of powdered colostrum asap that evening (all we had), and took to the bottle faster than I've ever seen before- absolutely no hesitation. We tried a cow who had a two day old calf, but the cow flat out refused to have anything to do with her. Bratty Brangus. So, baby is living in a snug pen in our front yard, with much supervised romping in the yard itself. I don't trust her alone out there until her brain grows in (after three weeks, at least!).

The next two days after colostrum, baby had a 4 pint bottle of milk replacer (22% protein) twice a day. Due to a cold front and early freeze, I also gave her a bottle with about half the usual milk replacer around one a.m. on those days; mostly warm water. Since then (last six days), she's had two bottles a day, sometimes with a half bottle of warm water as a chaser, or half a bottle with less than a quarter of the usual milk replacer around noon. One day she got an extra bottle due to miscommunication, with no ill effects. She's got a fantastic appetite. Pushiest, most determined heifer I've ever fed. Even the twins we raised years ago didn't cover me in THIS much calf slobber! Yesterday, I started shoving some calf starter pellets in her mouth after bottles; first time we've ever used calf starter. She's drinking water on her own, a bit. She's bouncy, energetic, makes strafing runs at our dogs (poor things are very confused by this) when we let her out in the yard, kicks up her heels an' all, addicted to having her ears rubbed, an' is shiny an' bright eyed. Sounds fantastic, right? But I'm paranoid. We've had really good luck with orphan calves, and I don't want to screw that up. Her momma was very dear to us.

My concerns:

Her breathing seems too fast when she's lying down, and, for the first three or four days, she'd raise her upper lip a bit, wrinkle her nose, and breath through her mouth a little. The other calves around her age won't let me get close enough to look at 'em while they're lying down. (They're with the herd.) It's slowed some now, but still seems touch fast. It isn't noisy; no wheezing, no snot, everything sounds normal. A few coughs, but nothing chronic or worrisome. One sneeze when she shoved her nose into her hay nest a bit too far. Should I be worried about her rate of respiration? Or wait an' do the worrying if she starts wheezing, coughing, and doing various bad breathing things?

She grinds her teeth. I didn't think anything of it- I've been grinding mine in my sleep since I was a baby, why shouldn't a calf do it?- until I saw some posts here about it being a sign of pain or stress. She doesn't seem to be in pain or stressed. I found lots of "grinding means pain" posts, and one post about calves seeming to chew "invisible" cud. That's really what this looks like. She lies down, gets the thoughtful cud chewing expression, and sounds like she has a mouthful of gravel. She doesn't do it standing up, or all the time lying down. Anyone have experience with something similar?

Her poop has been everything you could want in bottle calf poop; not a sign of scours, looks and smells just like milk replacer poop should (icky!). Until today, she'd been pooping at least once a day, and often twice. She hasn't pooped since 9 p.m. Monday night. I rubbed her rear with a warm cloth for a bit; got some gas, but nothing else. She hadn't had gas to speak of until we started pellets yesterday...or I just wasn't paying as much attention to it. She doesn't look bloated, or seem uncomfortable. It doesn't seem like such a small amount would make a difference, but maybe it's the addition of the pellets slowing down the poop schedule? At what point should I worry about lack of poop?

Last, her appetite. She butts, mehs, slobbers, and generally makes a pest of herself for the first five minutes we're within reach, and for at least ten minutes after a bottle, if we stay nearby. I know bottle calves tend towards that sort of thing, but this is extreme compared to previous experiences. I'm worried that she isn't getting enough. She's 65 to 70 pounds, getting a gallon of milk replacer a day between the two feedings, has a little bit of mineral block, a bit of calf starter to contemplate, hay and grass to sniff an' ponder, and a bucket of water...she's fine, right? Probably more than fine. Probably end up a spoiled rotten cow, and I'll fondly remember the days of pushy little baby calf. Logically, looking at the numbers, I know she's getting plenty, so consider me a guilt tripped sucker looking for reassurance. Is giving her a half bottle of warm water after the real bottle, or a half bottle with a touch of milk replacer at midday, an issue? We've done it with others, but not this young. And, since we haven't used calf starter before, will the extra water bottles interfere with her appetite and getting her interested in the starter? She doesn't seem to think it makes a difference to her belly, heh.

And, of course, any general advice would be welcome. "Don't give in to the guilt tripping calf" can't be said often enough. *grin*

Thanks for reading, and thanks for being here. I've worked with cows for most of my life, and I know there's always something new and surprising to learn. Reading these boards the last couple days has been entertaining and educational!

-Ori

Hi Ori welcome to the boards. First, a gallon of milk is plenty for a calf that size. The water between meals is an excellent idea, as chippie said I would leave out the milk replacer. Always feed a calf 12 hrs apart, then feed your water in between. She has to learn that when she is hungry calf starter is a good alternative to milk, but I wouldn't let her talk me into more milk yet, in 2 weeks maybe but not now.

Larry

How long is the navel cord...hard birth, momma did not clean the calf, the start of navel infection? Check to see if the navel is hard and or warm

A gallon of milk replacer is good, however divided into two feeding is alot. Best to take that amount and into three feedings at that age. Once few weeks older then cut to two feedings. Double check that you are mixing the right amounts of replacer to water.
She could be heavy breathing cause she is way full

Since she is a bottle calf and easy to handle, if you are worried temp her every day at the same time of day and keep a record. Anything over 103.5 for any significant length of time would be a cause for concern. Winter hair and a confused rumen (depending on her age) can cause fluctuations in body temperature.

The teeth grinding isn't all that off. I have had lots of calves that grind their teeth.

I feed my calves three times a day if I can. Look at nature, the calf might have a little snack a couple of times a day in addition to the couple of major nursings. Sometimes, just sucking your fingers satisfies them, since part of the satisfaction is the amount of time spent sucking. It takes a lot let time to suck a bottle dry then it does for a calf to get the same amount of milk from the momma.

As for the poop, hopefully her poop has resumed to normal at this point. It is not unusual for very young bottle calves to defecate only 2 -3 times per day. Maybe the addition of the fiber in the pellts stopped her up a little.

I wouldn't give the calf water directly after a bottle of milk as it dilutes the milk which in turn does not 'curd' adequately when it hits the stomach, otherwise you seem to be doing all the right things ;-)

alisonb":2mhl5wqg said:
I wouldn't give the calf water directly after a bottle of milk as it dilutes the milk which in turn does not 'curd' adequately when it hits the stomach, otherwise you seem to be doing all the right things ;-)
I didn't know this. We gave our Jersey heifer calves 2 quarts of milk replacer followed by 2 quarts warm water bottle. Never had a bit of trouble or scours.
Valerie

It doesn't exactly dilute the milk but the hydrochloric acid, rennin and pepsin enzymes in the abomasum which are responsible for the curding action of the milk. The only liquid that enters the calves abomasum should be milk. When the calf learns to drink water by itself the esophageal groove closes and the water bypasses the abomasum and flows into the rumen. The curd or clot forms about 10 min after milk is fed, the protein/whey split takes place producing lactose that is almost instantly absorbed into the bloodstream for energy and the left over curd is digested over the next 12 or so hours.
Scours often results from an overflow of the abomasum into the rumen, where the 'overflow' cannot be digested and ferments.

Thanks for the info and reassurance, folks! I think it was the pellets that disrupted her poop. I've switched to Purina Startena instead of just pellets, which she seems to like, and she's grazing a bit. No more diluted milk replacer snacks, or water bottles at all, now that she's drinking out of her trough regularly. Navel looks and feels normal, and her respiratory rate has settled down. We've got her big sister (one year old) in the yard now, too, for socialization and company. Baby has started to use volume more than brute force in her pushiness. A little rough on the ears when both girls are mooing into the living room windows, but much easier on my legs!

Thanks again!
-Ori

alisonb":2v7xoyw7 said:
It doesn't exactly dilute the milk but the hydrochloric acid, rennin and pepsin enzymes in the abomasum which are responsible for the curding action of the milk. The only liquid that enters the calves abomasum should be milk. When the calf learns to drink water by itself the esophageal groove closes and the water bypasses the abomasum and flows into the rumen. The curd or clot forms about 10 min after milk is fed, the protein/whey split takes place producing lactose that is almost instantly absorbed into the bloodstream for energy and the left over curd is digested over the next 12 or so hours.
Scours often results from an overflow of the abomasum into the rumen, where the 'overflow' cannot be digested and ferments.

Alison, at what age does the water bypass the abomasum?
Valerie

alisonb":187i1119 said:
Val, see your post on Pot Bellied Calves - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72706. There are links posted on there that explain it all.
Allison,
If I'm reading this correctly http://www.heifermax.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/rumen-development1.pdf the water does not enter the abomosum and is essential in the development of the rumen. Where I gave the heifers water, after their milk bottles, I conclude from this pdf that the water went into the rumen and not the abomasum. By feeding the ground up grain mix and water bottle after milk bottle, their rumen was "learning" to function. ( I posted amount of milk and water incorrectly earlier, they received 3 pints of each milk and warm water... I never increased it to 4 pints. )
Valerie

Val, as long as one is 'bottle feeding' a calf the contents of the bottle flow into the abomasum be it milk or water. Here is an insert that may be helpful.

Esophageal Groove
When a calf swallows, solid food such as starter grain moves down the esophagus and passes through an opening called the esophageal groove just before it enters the rumen. Prior to weaning, milk and milk replacer take a different route. Factors such as suckling, anticipation, and a variety of sensual and neural stimuli cause muscles around the esophageal groove to contract. These muscular contractions close the groove, allowing milk and milk replacer to bypass the rumen and flow directly into the abomasum for digestion.

since you scolded me, thought I would help. It is also the physical position of suckling that causes the milk to enter the groove also. Using bucket nipples causes the calf to get the milk in the wrong place. The curling up of the neck while stooping in the natural momma suckling position. Calves drink water in a natural position so milk does not enter the abomasum.

vclavin":38vksmzl said:
alisonb":38vksmzl said:
I didn't know this. We gave our Jersey heifer calves 2 quarts of milk replacer followed by 2 quarts warm water bottle. Never had a bit of trouble or scours.
Valerie

Didn't hurt a thing. She never knew the difference. ;-)

TexasBred":zqer8nbe said:
vclavin":zqer8nbe said:
alisonb":zqer8nbe said:
Valerie

Didn't hurt a thing. She never knew the difference. ;-)

It's amazing how ignorance can "sometimes" be OK LOL
Valerie.
PS. Would the fact we acquired the heifers at around 3 weeks of age, and a few weeks later we were giving the water bottles - it was hot outside and they were not drinking enough water so we gave it to them in the bottles - make a difference? (It was 3 pints each not 2 quarts, sorry)

Latest posts