Book bad, again. This sure does get old.

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lammie":1bdbbk5x said:
alice":1bdbbk5x said:
Good for you, Kelly. :)

To Kill a Mockingbird would have been a much better choice for the Dallas teacher if her intent was to show how racism and the use of that word was offensive and dangerous...especially in a class with 1 black kid in it.

When I was a kid I once called my brother that word, because I thought it was the worst word I could think of...even worse than the obvious cuss words. I didn't relate it to racism at the time, heck, I didn't even know or understand racism then. I just knew it was a word that meant something demeaning and hateful. My mother heard me...and I can still taste the soap in my mouth.

Just my 2 cents.

Alice

That's cause there weren't any black folks in Stephenville? That's what I always heard. I know that Comanche was awfully racist.

I think it's an awful word, too. I was never racist as a child, but then again I didn't know any black folks, so I don't know if that qualifies me or not. You know? I just never understood why one group called another mean names.

You are right, To Kill A Mockingbird would have been a better choice to show racism. Another good book that I have read several times. And an excellent movie, as well. Love Robert Duvall as Boo Radley.

There weren't any black folks in my school. There was one black kid in my whole high school, and he moved there when I was a senior. Other than Johnny Perkins, who went to school in Granbury in the 60's and 70's and ended up playing football for the Giants for a while.

Yes, Lammie, there were black people in Stephenville when I was a kid. They lived in a particular section of town and had their own one room school and were given the outdated text books.

The schools were not integrated until I was in junior high, whereupon, one entered the eighth grade with us. I do know that before I started to school my Daddy was on the school board. He tried like crazy to integrate the school then, but it didn't work and he was voted off the school board.

So apparently, there were black people in Stephenville for a very, very long time. They just kept their heads down and their mouths shut...and for good reason. Stephenville was not a tolerant town.

I also remember when a black family tried to go to our church, and were turned away at the door. That's when I began to understand racism at its ugliest.

Alice

OH, btw...banning books, any books, is dangerous...I firmly believe that.

Alice

Lammie":w87e23xa said:
Let's agree to disagree. Night all.

My Grandad on my mother's side was the one that taught me that saying.

It would be nice if we all could.

Sleep tight.

cmjust0":2bb0ebbp said:
Horticattleman":2bb0ebbp said:
I was busy getting my a$$ shot at overseas to earn money so I could go to college and they are wasting it away.

Last I checked, about 25% of the US military is black. Given that they comprise far less than 25% of the general population, it would seem to me that they're actually more likely than whites to commit themselves to getting their a$$es shot at.

I'm not refering to them. In the Marine Corps I learned that all Marines are one color...Green. Light green, Dark Green, etc. I have many, yes I said many, black friends who I would and have laid my life out on the line for before and would do it again. You mis understood my post. I was talking about the thugs and other young people who never had the nads to join the military because they have always sold drugs and lived like thugs because that is the only way they know because they have always received handouts and I get blamed as a white man for "holding them down" Gimme a break!!!!!!!!! I NEVER referred to black men and women who have served in the military. In my opinion they stand high and above anyone...white or black!

I'm talking about Shaquandaterialeesha who is 18 with 3 kids and on welfare and food stamps who has never had a job because her momma never had a job and now because she is tired of being stuck in the ghetto she is getting free tuition and using it to hang around the Union and pi$$ on the columns so all the rutting bucks can come sniff it and give her #4 before she turns 20. And she never goes to class because she's only there because its free anyway. Thats who I'm talking about. AND also my black friends who consider themselves successful and respectable people can't stand these people either. All the while children of working class blacks like some of my own employees make just a little too much to get all the free perks, but can barely afford to send their kids to college.

If you think I'm making things up...you evidently have never been to a southern college campus.

Bye since its gonna get locked.

Lammie":23vj6bp5 said:
yawn... You still here?

I'm back. :D

Now you are the one that is misinformed because there is a stong contingency of really stupid backward people that want the book removed from the school libraries in the Birdville school district. That has been in the news.

I haven't seen it in print.. All I've seen is that they're trying to get it removed from the curriculum. Like I said before, perhaps you can point me to a source saying that they're trying to get it banned from the library?

What part of "I don't believe in banning books" don't you understand? While I believe that Madonna is a serious skank, I do not believe in banning her stupid coffee table sex book. I trust that my son's school library does not have it and if it did, I guess my son would be looking at the pictures on the sly like every other 13 year old boy.

National Geographic has nekkid pictures in it, too. Want that banned?

I'm not looking to have anything banned. I'm just pointing out that A) nothing's being truly banned, and B) this teacher is an idiot.

So far as I can tell, you and I agree on part B.

I am so hung up on that kid's eyes because it bothers me. I can't be the only one. If that kid thinks the media is a bunch of sharks, then he didn't have to talk to them. I didn't see anyone holding a gun to his head. Of course, maybe someone was. In the black helicopters above. (Cue music from X Files...)

I'M SO DONE WITH THIS IT ISN'T EVEN FUNNY. :mad:

Was someone holding a gun to your head, forcing you to watch the media sharks interview the kid in the mirrored glasses?

Let's agree to disagree. I have put away the groceries and now I want to watch a movie.

Night all.[/i]

Works for me.

Horticattleman":2akqaq1g said:
I'm not refering to them. In the Marine Corps I learned that all Marines are one color...Green. Light green, Dark Green, etc. I have many, yes I said many, black friends who I would and have laid my life out on the line for before and would do it again. You mis understood my post. I was talking about the thugs and other young people who never had the nads to join the military because they have always sold drugs and lived like thugs because that is the only way they know because they have always received handouts and I get blamed as a white man for "holding them down" Gimme a break!!!!!!!!! I NEVER referred to black men and women who have served in the military. In my opinion they stand high and above anyone...white or black!

I'm talking about Shaquandaterialeesha who is 18 with 3 kids and on welfare and food stamps who has never had a job because her momma never had a job and now because she is tired of being stuck in the ghetto she is getting free tuition and using it to hang around the Union and pi$$ on the columns so all the rutting bucks can come sniff it and give her #4 before she turns 20. And she never goes to class because she's only there because its free anyway. Thats who I'm talking about. AND also my black friends who consider themselves successful and respectable people can't stand these people either. All the while children of working class blacks like some of my own employees make just a little too much to get all the free perks, but can barely afford to send their kids to college.

If you think I'm making things up...you evidently have never been to a southern college campus.

Bye since its gonna get locked.

Then I guess I'm just not sure why you're pointing out the lazy black people standing around wasting air at your alma mater, yet failing to mention the air-wasters of different colors..

Could be just a different perspective, though.. Here in Kentucky, most of our bums and leeches are white.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts